Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
oneworld nonstop flights between USA and Australia are operated by American Airlines / AA and Qantas / QF. US gateways include DFW, JFK, LAX, SFO. Australia gateways include BNE, MEL, SYD.

Alternatives include using Hawaiian / HA from HNL, Fiji Airways / FJ from Los Angeles / LAX or SFO via NAN or Air Tahiti Nui / TN via PPT. (QF codeshares on Jetstar are no longer bookable as AA awards). You must route direct or South Pacific; awards via Asia, or transatlantic require two awards. Premium Economy services may not be booked with AAdvantage miles yet.

Awards using HA / Hawaiian Airlines require two awards, and one may not use HA between the mainland and Hawaii.

Only MileSAAver Awards are available on AA partners.

The usual award rules regarding Maximum Permitted Miles (MPM) and unconstructed origin-destination routings sold by the prevailing carrier apply.

Qantas releases awards ~355 days out; AA can not book anything beyond 331 days out. Qantas awards are challenging to secure. AA MileSAAver flights seem to be scarce on the LAX-SYD routing, even when aircraft go out with empty seats. AAnytime awards can be used on AA, but dynamic pricing may see those for as much as 225,000 miles one way in First.

Note: there are fees involved in award changes from oneworld airlines to non-oneworld partners or vice versa.

See here for current AA redemption charts.

Threads that can help include:

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) (you must use MileSAAver awards on partners; AAnytime wards may only be used on AA.)

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (consolidated)

AAdvantage Miles Awards: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Edit (post pandemic list at 06 Aug 2022 by Mwenenzi)
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Following the pandemic, routes are being restabilised and some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change.
  • Air Canada AC YVR – SYD BNE. [Star Alliance] .
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares. (AA & DL partner)
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD due to restart 29 Oct 2022 [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX – SYD. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL via NAN Fiji. (OneWorld Alliance connect. QF AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL.
  • Qantas QF SYD - LAX DFW HNL YVR*; BNE - LAX ; MEL- LAX. {* seasonal}. MEL-DFW due to start 02 Dec 2022 (new route). SYD – SFO due to restart 30 Oct 2022. Pre CV19 also had SYD-SFO & SYD-JFK(via LAX). [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA MEL-SFO, SYD-LAX SFO. BNE-SFO from 31 Oct 2022 (new route). MEL-LAX and SYD-IAH due to restart 30 Oct 2022. [Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia & Middle East
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand (not from all airports to all airports)
Following the pandemic routes are being restabilised and with some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change
  • American Airlines AA . DFW-AKL due to start 29 Oct 2022 to 25 Mar 2023(new route) LAX-AKL due to restart unknow. AA was to fly LAX-CHC 3 days a week from Oct 2020. [Oneworld Alliance]
  • Air Canada AC YVR – AKL Due to restart 12 Nov 2022 [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR – AKL. Pre CV19 also had ORD. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX - AKL via Tahiti (AA & DL partner)
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL - AKL via NAN Fiji Pre CV19 used to fly to WLG CHC. (QF AA & AS partner).
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – AKL (AA & VA partner)
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL YVR* via SYD BNE & MEL. {* seasonal} [Oneworld Alliance])
  • United UA SFO – AKL [Star Alliance]
  • And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Member Mwenenzi posted

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Mxflyer Welcome to FT

Many threads on this topic.
USA <---->Australia business class awards are one of the hardest to get. An award in ~6 to 8 weeks time (short notice) even harder. 2 people on the same flight harder again.
Hard but may not be impossible. At times availability can increase close in.
What ffp's are you currently a signed up member of?

If you look only at LAX SYD you are restricting your options a lot, and then some. Look at SFO, IAH & DFW and BNE MEL. BNE can have better availability than other airports. Domestic USA & Australia flights as needed

Via Asia is the other option, but would be 2 awards. BKK, HKG, TPE, SIN, NRT, HND and others. Due to political unrest some HKG flights have low loads

They do not need to fly the same airline/ffp/routes/airports out & back. Look for one ways.

AA ff miles cannot be used to upgrade QF flights. Anyway upgrades, with any airline on the USA Aust routes are hard.
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
Edit
List deleted due to out of date post Covid-19 pandemic (see above)

AA & UA also fly LAX-AKL. Then a 3:30hr flight across to Aust.
Via Fiji or on TN can work

AA forum
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Credit card transfer links
Print Wikipost

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Trying to book lax-mel

Hi... I'm trying to book lax to Mel on 6 jan2019 one way - will take economy at 40k even if I'd prefer business. Site has 8 choices via qf 18 to Sydney. Clicking on any of the choices gets me nowhere. Anybody have any suggestions?
Have called the desk at aa and they stated system error and to keep trying. Though one said "if the site won't book, it's not avail." Wth? Why show if not avail.
And if it really isn't available how do I look into Fiji airline or Tahiti. Thanks ahead of time.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by happytravelskh
Hi... I'm trying to book lax to Mel on 6 jan2019 one way - will take economy at 40k even if I'd prefer business. Site has 8 choices via qf 18 to Sydney. Clicking on any of the choices gets me nowhere. Anybody have any suggestions?
Have called the desk at aa and they stated system error and to keep trying. Though one said "if the site won't book, it's not avail." Wth? Why show if not avail.
And if it really isn't available how do I look into Fiji airline or Tahiti. Thanks ahead of time.
I used the Quantas site to find QF and Fiji availability and then called it in. Call the Reservation desk, not the help desk.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately, what you see on AA.com is phantom inventory.
QF has blocked virtually all NA-OZ (and vv) award seats until January 12th or so.
Check QF.com for the real story.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DVDBob
I used the Quantas site to find QF and Fiji availability and then called it in. Call the Reservation desk, not the help desk.
Sorry for ignorance. When you went on qf site, how did you search? ( I may need step by step). My qantas account only has 26k so it wasn't letting me see (at least I don't think so), classic rewards avail for that date and nothing including Fiji. Not sure if bc of my low miles or doing something wrong. Do you mind walking me through?would appreciate since I'm not used to going this specific.. thanks
Old May 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Sorry for ignorance. When you went on qf site, how did you search? ( I may need step by step). My qantas account only has 26k so it wasn't letting me see (at least I don't think so), classic rewards avail for that date and nothing including Fiji. Not sure if bc of my low miles or doing something wrong. Do you mind walking me through?would appreciate since I'm not used to going this specific.. thanks
I don’t think I did anything special. I chose Classic Award and one way then input my locations and dates. I only have AA miles. Once I found an itinerary, i called the Reservation Desk and gave them the flight numbers. Took about 15 minutes on the phone. If you’re not seeing anything, then likely there are no seats available. You could also check Alaska Air’s website as they sometimes show FIji flights as well.

EDIT: I just check both sites I mentioned and I see no flights in for Jan, Feb or March, so perhaps they haven't released any more award flights for 2019 yet.

Last edited by DVDBob; May 27, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old May 27, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to book lax to Mel on 6 Jan2019 one way - will take economy at 40k even if I'd prefer business. Site has 8 choices via QF18 to Sydney. Clicking on any of the choices gets me nowhere. Anybody have any suggestions?

Have called the desk at AA and they stated system error and to keep trying. Though one said "if the site won't book, it's not avail." Wth? Why show if not avail.

Hoping for a award LAX MEL on Sunday 6 Jan 2019 may be a challenge. Only QF flys that route. QF & AA fly LAX-SYD, QF flys SFO-SYD & LAX-BNE & DFW-SYD
The AA site is well know for showing phantom QF availability.

Links on how to book on FJ & TN in the wiki.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’ve had a lot more success booking LAX-BNE-Destination than LAX-SYD or MEL. (All my US-Australia or v.v. award seats have been for couples and in Business class.) Now that SFO-SYD is on, I’d check that, and DFW-SYD for the halibut, as well.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz 5 Star, Marriott Platinum
Newbie...What am I doing wrong? (Australia award travel)

I've got about 300,000 AAdvantage miles. I'm going to fly with my son to Sydney in Summer 2019. I'd like to fly business class and use points for the seats. Just for kicks I've gone on the AA website to see how many miles it would take as far out as they show seats. A couple things. First, the AA website is not showing any Qantas flights. Second, the # of miles to redeem is absolutely ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice...
Old May 27, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by swimmatt
I've got about 300,000 AAdvantage miles. I'm going to fly with my son to Sydney in Summer 2019. I'd like to fly business class and use points for the seats. Just for kicks I've gone on the AA website to see how many miles it would take as far out as they show seats. A couple things. First, the AA website is not showing any Qantas flights. Second, the # of miles to redeem is absolutely ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice...
Welcome to Flyertalk, swimmatt.

Welcome to the reality of attempting to find award space in the front of the cabin using AA miles to get to Australia.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Qantas is one of the airlines that is bookable on aa.com, and I can see QF flights when I search. However, Qantas is apparently blocking awards from North America to Australia. Also, you mention the mileage cost is "absolutely ridiculous," so are you looking at AAnytime awards?? If so, you will not be able to see any QF flights.

Finding two Business SAAver tickets to Australia is going to be extremely challenging. Check out the following thread if SAAver Tickets are what you're looking for HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-39.html

Maybe try looking at Fiji Airways via NAN or Air Tahiti via PPT (depending on your origin).

Last edited by JDiver; May 27, 2018 at 8:30 pm Reason: Add link to other master thread / JD add underscoring to links
Old May 27, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Can you book fiji air on aa.com or air tahiti. I have the same problem next june. 15 hours in coach is really hard.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Can you book fiji air on aa.com or air tahiti. I have the same problem next june. 15 hours in coach is really hard.
No, you'll need to call. You may even have to call AA Australia / New Zealand to book some Fiji Airways tickets.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by tfizzle
Please read the Wikipost and posts in the threads linked to above. You can nitbsearch for or book FJ, QF or TN AAdvantage Awards on aa.com; you must call. You can also use an AA or partner (AS) award to HNL and use HA as well as FJ from HNL.

Another good thread is HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, and for detailed fare rules etc. see AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd). Read the Wikiposts at the top of the page, as they distill a compendium of knowledge and experience gathered from the community.

There’s no fee, as you can’t book online. The rates are MileSAAver rates. The charts on aa.com will show you how many miles. Awards on AA are often AAnytime Awards, which have several tiers.

And... you can’t book for June 2019 yet.
tfizzle likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 28, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old May 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ive done AA awards on QF - but in coach only. If you can handle it book the A380. That aircraft is at least bearable.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Ive done AA awards on QF - but in coach only. If you can handle it book the A380. That aircraft is at least bearable.
I’ve flown QF Economy on paid fares (ughly!), and over the years successfully secured a number of seat pairs in Business US-Oz or v.v. It can be done, but if one reads the Wiki in the first thread given above one sees the challenges (QF releases award seats 355 days out, but you can’t book them on AA until 331 days out - that’s a significant barrier) and some options.

And no, Qantas does not ever sell upgrades, or at least they didn’t, unless they’ve recently taken on one of those nasty “bid for an upgrade” programmes. If one wanted to upgrade even after half their trip is done, they’d have to pay a PEY or Business ticket for the entire trip.
tfizzle likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 28, 2018 at 4:42 am Reason: Add highlighting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.