Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
And to answer your other questions:
Originally Posted by sperkins921
Am I missing something?
Nope
If you travel long-haul on fares that earn 1.5 EQP then it can be easy to complete the challenge (SYD-LAX 1-way in T is enough do it)

Does this plan work?
Provided the flights are all within the 3 months of your challenge then it will work

Also, how is the 3 month period that they give you to achieve the miles figured? Is it three months from the day you call, or is it a 3 month calendar period that you pick or what?
Nowadays you get to choose the calendar period
You cannot request too far in advance - so maybe say four weeks before you first flight. And you request the period to start say the day before, or even the day of, your first flight
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I was just about to post that you're misunderstanding EQ Points and EQ Miles
And you still are...

So BOS-LHR-BOS flying BA in Premium Economy (T class) is 6,530 miles and will earn you:
  • 7183 Redeemable Miles (which you can use for reward flights etc) - this is the flown miles of 6,530 plus the 10% bonus for T class
  • 6530 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM)
  • 9795 Elite Qualifying Points (1.5 times the EQM because it's T class)

So by the end of that trip you will be very close to the 10,000 EQP needed for the platinum challenge
So wait, I *would* make Platinum by adding in my already planned short haul down to FL (BDL-MCO-BDL or BOS-MCO-BOS)?

I thought I had understood this EQM thing, but I was still way off but it now makes sense the way you posted it here.

So basically, my short haul down to Florida in cheapest econ on AA or USAir would net me:

2106 redeemable miles (1303 miles RT but no class bonus)
2106 Elite Qualifying miles (same as above but no bonus b/c cheap econ)
3159 Elite Qualifying points (.5 bonus to the cheap econ)

And I would thus be Platinum???

So two additional questions:

I got conflicting miles based on which calculator I used, one for instance quotes 6530 miles for my TA long haul, the other 6514. How do I know which is right?

I see everywhere that you can not use a challenge to re-qualify for your status. Is that to mean that you can't repeat a challenge while your status is still active to keep it OR does that mean once you've fallen back to whatever lower status you can not do another challenge to once again get platinum or gold?

And let's say I make platinum now, does that give me now 14-20 months (per the above sticky) to work on *keeping* platinum?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
And to answer your other questions:

Nope
If you travel long-haul on fares that earn 1.5 EQP then it can be easy to complete the challenge (SYD-LAX 1-way in T is enough do it)

Provided the flights are all within the 3 months of your challenge then it will work

Nowadays you get to choose the calendar period
You cannot request too far in advance - so maybe say four weeks before you first flight. And you request the period to start say the day before, or even the day of, your first flight

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

I just did a little happy dance there

My flights are Sept 19/Sept 27 for the BOS-LHR-BOS long haul

My planned short haul is Dec 6/Dec 15 for the BDL/BOS-MCO.

I'm flexible enough that I can do the short haul in Oct Nov if the December plans fall through (sept is set in stone).

How long does it take for the Platinum status to actually show up in the system?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:29 am

So wait, I *would* make Platinum by adding in my already planned short haul down to FL (BDL-MCO-BDL or BOS-MCO-BOS)?
Yes

I thought I had understood this EQM thing, but I was still way off but it now makes sense the way you posted it here.

So basically, my short haul down to Florida in cheapest econ on AA or USAir would net me:

YES - 2106 redeemable miles (1303 miles RTbut no class bonus - it's 2106 return)
YES - 2106 Elite Qualifying miles (same as above but no bonus b/c cheap econ)
NO - 3159 Elite Qualifying points (.5 bonus to the cheap econ) - the 0.5 EQP is a multiplier not a bonus, so 0.5*2106EQM = 1053EQP

YES - And I would thus be Platinum???
So two additional questions:

I got conflicting miles based on which calculator I used, one for instance quotes 6530 miles for my TA long haul, the other 6514. How do I know which is right?
The right one is the one that AA uses.
But in my experience gcmap.com always comes out pretty close

I see everywhere that you can not use a challenge to re-qualify for your status. Is that to mean that you can't repeat a challenge while your status is still active to keep it OR does that mean once you've fallen back to whatever lower status you can not do another challenge to once again get platinum or gold?
You have to fall back before you can re-challenge

And let's say I make platinum now, does that give me now 14-20 months (per the above sticky) to work on *keeping* platinum?
No. You will have all of calendar 2015 to work on keeping platinum.
Just like all the rest of us
If you don't achieve it, then on March 1st 2016 your status will drop
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:34 am

How long does it take for the Platinum status to actually show up in the system?
Usually just a couple of days after the EQP from the qualifying flight post to your account
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Usually just a couple of days after the EQP from the qualifying flight post to your account
for me it happened instanteously. I flew CLE-DFW-HKG-DFW-ORD-CLE

Upon completion of the HKG-DFW flight i had over 10,000 pts. Both the DFW-ORD and ORD-CLE flights posted as platinum flights (100% RDM bonus)

Expect it to show up within 24 hours but in the system it is reflected immediately upon crossing the threshold. 500-mile upgrades usually come 48 hours after.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:26 pm

So I just found out about this challenge, and I'm hoping it's not too late. On 6/30 I flew LAX-LHR in J (BA metal but AA code share) and flew back LHR-LAX this past Monday on 7/7, earning 16,368 EQP. Can I call and backdate the challenge? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
So I just found out about this challenge, and I'm hoping it's not too late. On 6/30 I flew LAX-LHR in J (BA metal but AA code share) and flew back LHR-LAX this past Monday on 7/7, earning 16,368 EQP. Can I call and backdate the challenge? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!
Certainly you can call and ask
Good luck
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:20 am

Thanks!
Challenges can be backdated up to 2 weeks, so call quickly!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:04 pm

Well, that was easy. Talked to the aadvantage rep, backdated two weeks, boom platinum. According to her, "that was the easiest challenge I've ever done"
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I called today to sign up for the gold challenge, backdated to yesterday. The lady expedited the posting of my flights, but they posted wrong so it took another call to get that sorted out. I'll have the challenge finished in the next month.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Well, that was easy. Talked to the aadvantage rep, backdated two weeks, boom platinum. According to her, "that was the easiest challenge I've ever done"
Great to hear, was cautiously optimistic for you.

Was it literally, *boom* system recognized that you had cross the threshold and gave you status? How long did it appear on your profile?

Originally Posted by United747
I called today to sign up for the gold challenge, backdated to yesterday. The lady expedited the posting of my flights, but they posted wrong so it took another call to get that sorted out. I'll have the challenge finished in the next month.
Does that mean you're changing your username to "American747?"
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:12 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXative
I knew someone was bound to ask! I'll keep it at United747 since I would still like to fly on one before they're retired.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K

Was it literally, *boom* system recognized that you had cross the threshold and gave you status? How long did it appear on your profile?

That happened for me as explained in my post a few posts back. Moment i hit 10,000 pts, bam platnium status. the remaining trips i took on the same PNR reflected 100% RDM bonus.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:43 pm

Pretty much. I was still on the phone with her and refreshed awardwallet; it indicated platinum right away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.