Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:38 pm

Platinum Challenge possible from BKK to IAD (one way)

I've spent a few hours researching this and got off Of the phone with AA and now more confused then ever.

I was invited to the AAdvantage platinum challenge, I'm currently in Bangkok and planning to fly back home towards the end of the month or first few days in December. I've been racking my brain on how to capitalize on this offer but all of the flights out of Asia with AA to IAD(Washington DC) are less than 12,000 miles which is what I need to qualify. Longest route thus far is 10,800 miles. I've got a CITI AAdvantage platinum Visa signature card but not sure if it applies in this situation.
Is it possible to meet the requirements for the challenge besides flying business class? I contacted AA and they were no help, As always everyone's insight is always appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to your response.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
How many miles/points do you need for the challenge?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by iplaybass
How many miles/points do you need for the challenge?
12,000EQM or 12,000EQP

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 16, 2015 at 12:04 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts / same reply
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
You need another flight. IAD-DFW-IAD day trip would do it. I am assuming that you need 4 segments on AA. Alternately, BKK-LHR-DFW-IAD would leave you about 160 miles short. Then you could take the shuttle from DCA-LGA-DCA.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by iplaybass
You need another flight. IAD-DFW-IAD day trip would do it. I am assuming that you need 4 segments on AA. Alternately, BKK-LHR-DFW-IAD would leave you about 160 miles short. Then you could take the shuttle from DCA-LGA-DCA.
That's going to be brutal, was hoping I could find something less painful lol
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Any way still to get an AA Status Challenge this year?

Hi,

I will be travelling about 15K miles in the next week and spending upwards of $10K on AA flights so would love to do a status challenge. I understand the registration date for AA closed in September for their last status challenge. Does anyone know of a sneaky way to still get a status challenge? There must be some way...

Victor
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. As you stated the challenge is closed.
Maybe next year?

Do you have high UA status?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by illuminatedlighting
Hi,

I will be travelling about 15K miles in the next week and spending upwards of $10K on AA flights so would love to do a status challenge. I understand the registration date for AA closed in September for their last status challenge. Does anyone know of a sneaky way to still get a status challenge? There must be some way...

Victor
Not gonna happen this year. AA may give you a chance in Jan 2016 though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.