Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Quick Links
PHX Links
Official Website of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
PHX Sky Harbor: Frequently Asked Questions pages(Dining, shops, parking, art, museum)
Link to archived posts 2009-2013.This is to give travelers an idea how to navigate through PHX (locals call it "Sky Harbor").

NOTE: There are an increasing number of flights arriving at Phoenix/Mesa Gateway airport (the former Williams Air Force Base). This is NOT PHX/Sky Harbor. Typically Allegiant and charter flights will arrive/depart from Gateway. Official Website of Phoenix-Mesa/Gateway Airport.

PHX Terminal 4 - AA uses the four concourses shown as "A" and "B"
The terminal map website is PHX T4 Map It includes terminal maps plus shops and restaurants by terminal.

AA in PHX
AA operates flights out of Terminal 4 (also called the Barry Goldwater Terminal), concourses A and B (basically the North side of T4). There are four concourses on the north side of terminal 4. The west two are the A concourses, and the east two are the B concourses. They are served by the A and B security checkpoints respectively.

The A and B concourses are divided into low and high, based on the gate numbers. The low A and B gates are directly across from the the security checkpoints. The high A and B require a trip down a walkway.
  • Low A: Gates A1-A14
  • High A: Gates A15-A30
  • Low B: Gates B1-B14
  • High B: Gates B15-B28

General Rules for Gates
  • International flights (from Mexico and SJD) will arrive in the High B's area, as do other carrier international flights (BA from LHR) and depart ~B25
  • While international flights (from other than YVR/YYC/YEG/YYZ) park at the high B gates, pax will pass through customs underneath the concourse and must exit outside the B security checkpoint and re-clear security for further flights.
  • Flights from Mexico and Costa Rica will arrive at gates B23-B28 (Gate B22 is about to become an international arrival gate as well) and go down two levels to go through customs, et al, and will deposit outside security checkpoint B. Giving yourself an average of 45 min just to get from off the plane to the checkpoint is a good estimate. If your flight arrived at the same time as British Airways add another 30 min to that estimate.
  • Eagle operated flights will depart only from Gates B1, B3, B5, B7, B9, B15, B16, B17, B18, B19, B20, B21, B22, and sometimes B24.
  • Early and late night flights (first bank in the AM and red eyes to PHL, CLT, JFK, BOS, etc), usually leave from the low A concourse, gates 1-14 (more likely the end of that 10-14)
  • Note some gates are close to each other and announcements can be confusing due to their proximity.

Check-in
At PHX, you must be checked in:
  • At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
  • At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to airports outside of the United States
American Airlines has check-in on the North side of the check-in level of T4 (across from Southwest).
  • AA Executive Platinum / oneworld Emeralds Elites can use the First Class check-in, located towards the middle of the check-in level (note: it is sometimes faster to use the non-elite kiosk area)
  • Non-elites have options of the main full-service ticketing line, or using one of the many kiosks towards the West end of the ticketing level (under the A concourse)
  • If you've done online check-in, there is a desk on the right side of the kiosks that can do bags only (however, I've found it sometimes easier to just use a regular kiosk)
  • International travel has its own check-in, toward the East side of the check-in level, marked by balloons
  • Group travel also has its own marked check-in at the far East side of the check-in level
  • There are also kiosks by every security check point (very convenient for checked baggage free travelers)

Security
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day and by concourse. Generally, wait times seem to be longer at the B gates, but that is my personal experience.
AA has priority lines at both of the A and B security checkpoints in T4. Some days, it could be a wash or even longer, while others it can save a considerable amount of time. Personally, as a AA elite, I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes.
If non-elite, waits vary considerably. Ig is possible to wait for 45+ minutes.

Connection Times
Domestic Connections
  • MCT Domestic AA to AA is 0:25, AAdomestic to AA or AY is 0:25. A reasonable 45 minute scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections (ie: SFO-PHX-BOS or ORD-PHX-MRY)
  • STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
    ONLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
    OFFLINE 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
    ** OR * ARE ALL
    AA-AA ID 1.30 FLT 6100 - 6779 - FLT 1 - 6099
    AA-AA ID .25 CANADA - ALL
    AA-AA ID 1.00
    AA-** ID 2.30

Connecting flight info monitors can be found at the start of each concourse, except for the High B concourse, then also at the following locations -
High A concourse: in front of gates A19, A23 & A24;
Low A concourse: in front of gates A3, A5, above the payphones between A8 & A10;
Low B concourse: in front of gates B3, B5, B10;
High B concourse: across from the Cinnabon, in front of gates B19 & B21.

It takes an average of 5 minutes to walk the length of a concourse, ie: from Gate A17 down to Gate A30, etc. If you are going from one concourse to another it takes 5 minutes if you just sit on the moving sidewalks and let the machine haul you (sometimes out for repair). So to get from Gate A30 to: Gate A13 would take about 15 min; to Gate B13 - 20 min and to Gate B28 - 30 min. Walking on the moving sidewalks will cut the time down by about 40%. Just remember - when on the moving sidewalks, in the USA we stand on the right, walk on the left and if you look down on the start platform of each one you will see images reminding you that NO strollers, wheelchairs or baggage trollies are allowed on the moving sidewalks.

Passenger Assistance Counters can be found next to Gates A19, A4, B4 and B19.

Baggage Storage
"Unfortunately, due to federal security restrictions imposed by the Transportation Security Administration, we do not offer any storage at the airport. We recommend that you check with the airline you are flying to see how early you can check in your luggage or other items.

Transportation
Parking
PHX-Sky Harbor Airport operates long-term parking (East and West economy lots) as well as in-terminal parking. More info here
However, it is becoming more common to use off-airport parking. There are several companies including (but not limited to): PreFlight, FastTrack, and Parking Spot. Discounts abound, and it can be less for covered parking off-airport than non-covered in an economy lot.

Rental Cars
PHX Airport Rental Cars
There is a single airport rental car center located about 3 miles West of the airport. A single shuttle makes rounds from the terminals to the center.
Note: you may save some money (could be rather significant) if you rent from an off-airport location. With the Phoenix light rail, it may be possible to take the rail and/or have them pick you up. Alternatively, some hotels (especially resorts) have a car rental desk on-site.

Taxi
Taxi a minimum $15 to leave the airport (others, help me out).

Public Transportation
Bus & Light Rail information and Schedules
PHX Sky Train connects the terminals, economy parking, the rental car center, and the light rail.

Food, Drinks & Lounges
Where to Eat
Inside Security
Low A Concourse has Modern Burger, Olive & Ivy and Panda Express; table service is at Blanco Tacos & Tequila.
High A Concourse has Delux, Humble Pie Pizza and Pei Wei; table service is at Four Peaks Brewery.
Low B Concourse has Burger King, Carvel, Pizza Hut, Quizzno's, and Starbucks; table service at The Roadhouse 66.
High B Concourse has Cinabonn, Kokopelli Deli, TCBY, Pretzel Yetzel, Pizza Hut; table service at the Home Turf. Outside Security If one has sufficient time between connecting flights or before a flight, the food selection, variety and quality is far superior outside of security than inside it. The area outside of security at gate level has undergone major renovations over the past few years.

Coffee
There is one Starbucks in PHX AA Terminal area, in High B. Peets is just off of the moving walkway as you approach the High A side.

Any other recommendations?
Lounges
Admirals Club
There are three lounges in PHX, one each in the low A and low B, and one in the high A area. Unless you have a flight from nearby, I would recommend NOT using the High A lounge; it is small and can get extremely crowded. From personal experience, the B lounge is generally not as busy as the others. (Note: check the LOUNGE DASHBOARD for information about lounge closures for refurbishment.)

Other Lounges
The Centurion Lounge is located across from Gate B21 and open 9AM to 7PM. Must be an American Express Platinum card holder to enter.
The Escape Lounge is also located across from Gate B21 and is open 8AM to 8PM. American Express Platinum card holders get free access, $40/day fee prebooked, $45/day walk-up fee.

Shower Facilities
"We do have very limited shower facilities. In Terminal 4 on the east end of Level 1 (baggage claim), the ladies and men's restrooms each have one shower stall. There is no fee for the use of these stalls. These are the only public showers in the Airport. All of our family restrooms have showers, but they are not intended for use by the general public. They are for people with special needs or passengers who are traveling with small children who have an unexpected need for shower facilities."

The "family restroom" with shower in T4 is located next to the men's room across from Gate A17; as mentioned, this restroom is not intended for general public use other than as noted.

Miscellaneous
Services
  • There is a Currency Exchange cart near Cinnabon, next to Gate B15, on the high B concourse. It has limited hours.
  • Shoe Shine Stand are located next to Gates A17 and B15.
  • The Duty Free store can be found next to Gate B17.

Other Airlines/Changing Terminals
Southwest, British Airways, AeroMexico all share T4 with American Airlines. It can be challenging getting from a high A gate to the new WN D gates behind security; there is a bridge from the high B area that connects with C (Southwest's area).
Other airlines/terminals:
Terminal 2: United (with a United Club) and others are in the 'old' terminal (there is no longer a T1).
T2 info
Terminal 3: T3 info
Getting between the terminals can be a chore. You must first exit security, then take the Sky Train between Terminals 3 and 4. There is a walkway between Terminals 2 and 3. Just follow the signs.

Wireless Internet
"Free Wi-Fi is provided in all terminals on both sides of security, in retail and restaurant areas and near the gates. Laptops or other devices configured to operate in a wireless mode will automatically connect to the Internet when powered up near the shops and gates."

Layover Q&A
Do I have time to go into town?If your layover is more than three hours (and Im sure this is debatable), you may have time for a quick trip into the city.

What to do in town? How do I get there?
Downtown Tempe/Mill Ave

See: US Airways HQ (company store open to public), Tempe Town Lake (boat rentals, fishing, walk/run paths), 'A' Mountain (an easy climb), as well as a multitude of restaurants, bars, shops....oh and don't forget ASU, including Sun Devil Stadium
Eat: House of Tricks, Culinary Dropout
Go: Easy via PHX Sky Train to light rail, rail to either Mill Ave or Stadium stops. Rail cost is currently $2.00 each way/$4.00 for All-Day pass.

Downtown Phoenix

See: The Arizona Center, Chase Field (where the Diamondbacks play, but most locals still call it, "BOB"), Talking Stick Resort Arena (where the Phoenix Suns play, but most locals still call it, "AWA" or, "America West Arena")
Eat: Pizzaria Bianco (the 'best' pizza in the USA), Hard Rock Cafe, Alice Cooperstown, Arrogant Butcher, Durant's
Go: Although it is possible to take the rail, the easiest way is cab. Bus also goes, depending on day of week/time of day.

Old Town Scottsdale

See: Fashion Square Mall, art galleries, restaurants, shops
Go: Easiest by cab. Possible by bus (with connection).

Phoenix Zoo/Botanical Gardens

Possible via PHX Sky Train to rail (stop Priest/Washington) to bus or about a mile walk from rail. Easiest via cab.

Biltmore Shopping Center

Outdoor shopping mall, many shops and restaurants. Possible via bus (with connection), easiest by cab.

Is the Phoenix area safe?
In a word, yes. If you are going during daylight hours and are headed to any of the tourist locations youll be fine. Areas such as South Phoenix may be risky.

If you are going at night, the same areas that are safe during the day should be okay at night.

Can I get from PHX to Tucson? How long will it take and how expensive will it be?
With no traffic, driving from PHX to Tucson is roughly 2 hours. Although you will be traveling on a heavily used section of I-10, traffic usually moves. That said, if there is an accident, chaos and scrambling for any alternate (of which there are few) will happen. Rush hour will also impact this drive. The two cities seem to be growing closer and closer together. There is a rest stop about 15 miles past the Phoenix area. Casa Grande and Eloy also make good pit stops along the route.
{anyone have info on public transit}

Can I get from PHX to Sedona/Flagstaff/the Grand Canyon? How long will it take?
With no traffic, driving from PHX to points north is an extremely scenic drive. The I-17 has some nice climbs/downhills and it should be about 1-1/2 hour to Camp Verde (Verde Valley), a great place to stop. From there--
Flagstaff, another hour (about 2-1/2 to 3 hours total).
Sedona, around 30-45 minutes (the AZ-179 has been under construction for years it seems), about 2 to 2-1/2 hours total
Grand Canyon--you have 2 choices, go through Flagstaff or take the I-40 West and through Williams. Nothing against Williams, but I find the Flagstaff route nicer (and more options for stopping). Plan for 4-5 hours from PHX to the South Entrance, or 5-6 hours to the East Entrance (a bit further but worth the effort during busy periods).
{anyone have info on public transit}

Can I get from PHX to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego? What are my options?
While it certainly is possible to drive between PHX and these areas (many in the PHX area do it daily), once outside the PHX area, drives can be long, through vast stretches of nothingness. Flights from PHX to these areas are usually about 1 hour (-v- 5+ hours driving) and rather reasonable in price. For trips to Vegas, Hoover Dam crossing can add 30+ minutes to the drive.

-----------

If you have other ideas for this kind of thread, please let me know or please add your information or updates.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
To add to the accuracy, AA has 2 daily flights LHR to DFW on their own metal. The morning flight is on B77W, however, the afternoon flight is still on B772.

When in F, I would choose a BA 744 flight over a AA 772 flight any day.
You're welcome to your own opinion, but let's at least be factually accurate with the information you base it on.

Average age of BA's 747 fleet: 19.9 years.
Average age of AA's 777 fleet(including 77W): 11.5 years.

So, which one here is "truly ancient"?

The general sentiment is that F on the 77W is superior to just about anything BA is offering, save maybe the A380. Perhaps it might be preferable to connect through LAX?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, we are now connecting through LAX on the A380.

Admittedly, I'm more familiar with BA but at least the general consensus in the BA forum is that while the hard product on the AA 77W (in particular in C class) is considered superior to BA 744 the soft product on AA is disappointing in F.

I don't care about the age of the aircraft as long as the hard and soft product are acceptable for the service class that you paid for. My understanding is that on the non-refurbished AA 772 this is not the situation.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Ok, back on topic: please keep posts related to PHX in this thread.

~Moderator
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:08 am

What the hell is going on at this airport? Flew out yesterday mid-afternoon and the A checkpoint was slammed again. Turned out they only had two lanes open. And Pre-Check was closed everywhere in T4. However, once we cleared security, I saw a couple of TSOs casually chatting with the local police, a couple more in the secure area hanging out, and a 4 stripe walking around the terminal on his cell phone clearly having a personal conversation. Meanwhile, it took 15 minutes to clear security WITH the use of the first class lane - the regular main lane would have been twice that at least. Once airside, it was obvious it wasn't a terribly busy travel day.

Does the TSA do any actual work at this airport? I've still yet to see pre-check open at the A side. It's a major hub. Even PHL was operating efficiently by comparison this week.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What the hell is going on at this airport? Flew out yesterday mid-afternoon and the A checkpoint was slammed again. Turned out they only had two lanes open. And Pre-Check was closed everywhere in T4. However, once we cleared security, I saw a couple of TSOs casually chatting with the local police, a couple more in the secure area hanging out, and a 4 stripe walking around the terminal on his cell phone clearly having a personal conversation. Meanwhile, it took 15 minutes to clear security WITH the use of the first class lane - the regular main lane would have been twice that at least. Once airside, it was obvious it wasn't a terribly busy travel day.

Does the TSA do any actual work at this airport? I've still yet to see pre-check open at the A side. It's a major hub. Even PHL was operating efficiently by comparison this week.
I'd highly suggest contacting both your local representatives in congress/US senate as well as John McCain & Jeff Flake (as PHX is clearly in their area). Others in the TSS forum have reported that gets responses, and usually changes.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What the hell is going on at this airport?...And Pre-Check was closed everywhere in T4.
There is a thread in Trusted Travelers http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...mittently.html dedicated to TSA's failure to staff PreCheck at PHX.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'd highly suggest contacting both your local representatives in congress/US senate as well as John McCain & Jeff Flake (as PHX is clearly in their area). Others in the TSS forum have reported that gets responses, and usually changes.
I'll give it a shot. Worst case I wasted some paper.

Originally Posted by Tanic
There is a thread in Trusted Travelers http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...mittently.html dedicated to TSA's failure to staff PreCheck at PHX.
It's worse than them closing PreCheck, though. They also don't adequately staff the checkpoint. Or at least the staff is milling around instead of working.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
Hopefully the link is in that thread, somewhere, that goes to the PHX customer service-highly recommend submitting a complaint via that route. I know it gets a response & complaints are even forwarded to various depts. (such as maintanence about the on-going, never ending moving walkway repairs). Airport management knows this is an issue but the more complaints, the better as far as I'm concerned! If you can't find the link, PM me & I'll send you the direct e-mail to the airport customer service mgr I've been in contact with previously.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Any word on when the PHX "low A" Admirals Club will reopen?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sommerfeld
Mid-December agents in the high A club were saying mid-Feb was their best guess at that point.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txrus
Mid-December agents in the high A club were saying mid-Feb was their best guess at that point.
Yeah but they wouldn't say which year
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Yeah but they wouldn't say which year
Good point!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: free agent
It can't come soon enough. The other A club is like a broom closet with snacks in it - it's often standing room only in there. If I have an hour or more, I've been making the trek over to the B club - so much nicer and so less crowded on every visit.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by txrus
so I asked an agent at the low-B club today. Answer was "Soon" - he mentioned that they had been scheduled to move some equipment from low-B into low-A last week but it was postponed because construction wasn't ready for it.

I looked up while walking through the low-A wing and saw what looked like finish work underway, which is at least consistent with "Soon".
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC
PHX International Connection

Hi All.
1st time post so be gentle please! I have done lots of reading of the forums - brilliantly helpful site but still have a few questions.

I am travelling LHR-PHX-SAN in March on BA289. Arriving PHX at 18:20 and leaving for SAN on BA6566(AA flight) at 20:15. I'm travelling in First (for the first time ever so very excited and spending plenty of time on those forums too! ), will have checked in luggage and will need to do normal US Immigration line.

I've not done this sort of trip before and have heard horror stories of clearing customs and immigration, as well as the need to go outside and check back in and re-do security. So the basic questions are;
- Is the 1:55hrs enough time for the connection
- Once through customs, do I need to check in as new, or is there a re-check/transfer bag type place to check them in.
- Any tips on where I'll need to go or just the general process on connecting international to domestic in the US or specifically through Phoenix (Both flights are T4)

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.