Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ 4 a.m. 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ , Preferred 6 a.m. 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLTs Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:56 pm

45 minute layover at CLT

Is 45 minutes doable at CLT ? We are arriving from Key West and will be connecting to MSP on a Wednesday Night in December.

We are in row 2 on the incoming flight.

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
What are the other options? 45 minutes is certainly possible, but with so many things that can go wrong I would allow for more time.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Is 45 minutes doable at CLT ? We are arriving from Key West and will be connecting to MSP on a Wednesday Night in December.

Thanks
According to the information in the Wikipost at the top of the page,

Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.

Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
AA will reaccommodate you on the next flight with available seats, but its high summer season, and AA has 24 3M8s parked due to the grounding and had to cancel 115 daily flights.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Going SJO-CLT-DCA on AA. Just realized my SJO-CLT leg lands at 9:09PM, and CLT-DCA is at 10:19PM. Given customs (I have GE), I'm going to be spending a night in Charlotte, aren't I... (I have to check luggage, unfortunately.)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Thanks
By December thunderstorms shouldnt be an issue. Its a mid week night and thats good. The only issue is that if you miss that connection due to weather, ATC, gate availability and thats the last flight of the night youre on your own for a hotel room, although AA might be able to get you a distressed rate.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Thanks
Check your flight numbers on flightaware or some other site to see what terminal your flights usually comes into/out of. Being 2 regional flights you may luck out and be in E for both. Unless CLT sees freaky early winter weather like we did 12/9/19 you should be ok. Even if you have to go from one end of the airport to the other you should be fine.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

By December thunderstorms shouldn’t be an issue. It’s a mid week night and that’s good. The only issue is that if you miss that connection due to weather, ATC, gate availability and that’s the last flight of the night you’re on your own for a hotel room, although AA might be able to get you a distressed rate.
There are a couple of other options, one has us leaving EYW earlier and the other has us taking a later connecting flight at CLT. Hopefully AA will let me change for free as I only booked last week and didn't see the connection time.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

Thanks
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA will reaccommodate you on the next flight with available seats, but its high summer season, and AA has 24 3M8s parked due to the grounding and had to cancel 115 daily flights.
OP is travelling in December...not high summer season.

45 minutes at CLT is doable - but leaves zero room for error.

I personally would book that connection, but I know my way around the airport, travel solo, and walk very fast.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akhoya87
Going SJO-CLT-DCA on AA. Just realized my SJO-CLT leg lands at 9:09PM, and CLT-DCA is at 10:19PM. Given customs (I have GE), I'm going to be spending a night in Charlotte, aren't I... (I have to check luggage, unfortunately.)
I don't think that's a legal connection - the Wiki says Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for I to D at CLT is 90 minutes. Has there been a schedule change since you booked?

Call AA and change your flights/routing - they should do it for free since it's not a legal connection,

Disregard. Evidently the Wiki has bad info.

Last edited by bse118; Jun 17, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
I don't think that's a legal connection - the Wiki says Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for I to D at CLT is 90 minutes. Has there been a schedule change since you booked?

Call AA and change your flights/routing - they should do it for free since it's not a legal connection,

Deleted, thought this reply was for me
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by akhoya87

The wiki must be wrong, EF shows standard I-D MCT at CLT as 60 mins. So this is not only a legal connection but with 10 mins buffer .

I certainly wouldn't completely write off a 70 min connection in this scenario, especially at that time of night when Immigration and Customs shouldn't be too busy. Obviously not a lot of room for error but completely do-able even with bags.
bse118 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I did a 60 minute connection SJO-CLT-PHL earlier this year. I got to my connecting gate 15 minutes before boarding even began (and the flight was on time).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hipquest
Check your flight numbers on flightaware or some other site to see what terminal your flights usually comes into/out of. Being 2 regional flights you may luck out and be in E for both. Unless CLT sees freaky early winter weather like we did 12/9/19 you should be ok. Even if you have to go from one end of the airport to the other you should be fine.
OP is travelling in December...not high summer season.

45 minutes at CLT is doable - but leaves zero room for error.

I personally would book that connection, but I know my way around the airport, travel solo, and walk very fast.

Looking at flightware it seems that the late afternoon EYW/CLT flight is leaving at 4:11 pm now vs my 5:17 pm in December. I looked out as far as Wednesday August 28 and see 4:11 departures. I wonder if they might change my flight time as that seems to happen on every AA flight I book.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
just walked thru CLT terminal C - looks like a tornado passed thru, with all the "construction" going on.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Looking at flightware it seems that the late afternoon EYW/CLT flight is leaving at 4:11 pm now vs my 5:17 pm in December. I looked out as far as Wednesday August 28 and see 4:11 departures. I wonder if they might change my flight time as that seems to happen on every AA flight I book.
Very true that that times change but what is the on time percentage? I'm headed to AMS on 7/01/2019, a trip that I booked months ago, my flight times have changed enough that I was able to leverage the changes into better legs a couple of times; at worst would have been able to cancel for free. Look at the months you have coming up to get a better (if possible) itinerary than what you have now. At least one of your flights will change in the next 6 months, IMO.
flyer4512 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.