Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SamirD
If it's empty, then MCE won't really help. People flying into CLT are nice about letting others run for a connection too.

If the reason that leg has been delayed is because of weather in CLT, then you're safe as the outbound flight will also be delayed. But if was delayed because of something else, then that might be a bigger gamble depending on how late they are that 60% of the time.

FWIW, ATL is pretty good even for short connections imo, but the shortest I've done is 43m. I would never try that at CLT.
With staffing shortages the big issue becomes the crew on the flight to SAV timing out. 3 times in July my evening flight got cancelled because crews timed out. Also, an open seat map doesn't mean the flight won't be booked full. In fact the time standbys are accommodated it's a very, very good chance.

Getting seat in row 8 could buy 5 minutes in deplaning, 5 minutes that might make the difference.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EXP100
This time of year I would have a fair expectations that the last flight into CLT will be delayed, as evidenced by the 60% on time. If it's critical to be there that night I'd look at going out a day early. Not to mention that time of night flights start to get cancelled as crews start to time out, including the SAV flight.
Yeah that would be ideal but last minute work engagement landed on her so have to work with what we've got

Originally Posted by aztimm
How quickly can she move?

I'm assuming the A321 can go into any of the AA gates in A, B, C, or D. It looks like CLT-SAV is a CR7, which will leave from E. It will be at least a 10 minute walk, and could possibly be 15-20 minutes. If she arrives at the end of B or C, she'd have to dodge people to get out to the atrium area, then head over to E. From there, it really depends how far back in E she'll have to go.... Right now, today's is scheduled from E5A, which isn't bad, but yesterday's went from E32, which would take a bit longer. There are limited moving sidewalks in B and C (almost a waste). There are sidewalks to connect the atrium to E and D, but then limited once you are in E.

If you want to do this, MCE would definitely help. Get to the new gate ASAP, no stops for food or even restroom if she can help it. Just race through the terminal, yell for people to get out of the way, and hope for the best.
She can move pretty quickly, the CLT - SAV flight that night at least is on a 738

If it's empty, then MCE won't really help. People flying into CLT are nice about letting others run for a connection too.

If the reason that leg has been delayed is because of weather in CLT, then you're safe as the outbound flight will also be delayed. But if was delayed because of something else, then that might be a bigger gamble depending on how late they are that 60% of the time.

FWIW, ATL is pretty good even for short connections imo, but the shortest I've done is 43m. I would never try that at CLT.
Yeah I don't mind ATL short connections but the RDU - ATL is a completely full 757 so 36 minutes is asking for trouble

10m would be super lucky. A trek from ABC to DE has been 15m minimum for me, 25m if it's at the end of E, which going down to the end of E is nearly 20m by itself.

No breaks of any sort indeed. And you can always find someone else running/rushing so this is when you use NASCAR 'drafting' to follow in their wake.
Seems doable as long as she's prepared (and of course if there isn't too much of a delay which is out of her control)
aztimm and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by EXP100
With staffing shortages the big issue becomes the crew on the flight to SAV timing out. 3 times in July my evening flight got cancelled because crews timed out. Also, an open seat map doesn't mean the flight won't be booked full. In fact the time standbys are accommodated it's a very, very good chance.

Getting seat in row 8 could buy 5 minutes in deplaning, 5 minutes that might make the difference.
I've seen this too. In fact, I think my outbound flights out of CLT the last 2x times had crew delay issues that were 1hr+ (after I left the lounge to make it to the gate on time).

If it's so close that I'm counting the minutes and there's no buffer, it's too close for comfort.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Checking out my options. AA Business / PHX - CLT - FRA with a 1h31m connection time > first off, hand baggage only and a fast walker

Anyone seeing a possible problem?

The flight is Mid November > how is the weather situation usually at that time? Many delays or nothing to speak of?
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:51 pm

I'm not sure about the connection since mine have always been domestic, but the weather in Nov is definitely better than ORD. CLT is only an issue if there's thunderstorms, which can still occur in Nov.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

Checking out my options. AA Business / PHX - CLT - FRA with a 1h31m connection time > first off, hand baggage only and a fast walker

Anyone seeing a possible problem?

The flight is Mid November > how is the weather situation usually at that time? Many delays or nothing to speak of?
The only problem I foresee is having to visit the Admirals Clubs there.
JJeffrey, blitzen and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
The only problem I foresee is having to visit the Admirals Clubs there.
Is the Centurion Lounge not open
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Is the Centurion Lounge not open
It can be overflowing at times, but it is nice.
blitzen likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:37 am
HGH

Sept 27th 10 pm to Oct 12 4 am - Charlotte is closing the upper roadway used for departures. All passengers will be routed to use the lower level.

Any thoughts on how in the world people and their luggage will be moved from lower to upper level without causing massive lines?

https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/Mil..._Gets_Underway
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by HGH
Sept 27th 10 pm to Oct 12 4 am - Charlotte is closing the upper roadway used for departures. All passengers will be routed to use the lower level.

Any thoughts on how in the world people and their luggage will be moved from lower to upper level without causing massive lines?

https://cltairport.mediaroom.com/Mil..._Gets_Underway
I think the escalators, elevator(s?) and staircases should handle the passengers with slight delays. Many passengers are being dropped off on the lower level already with the parking buses, or by choice. The elevator(s) are small and slow, so that will likely be problem for those that need it.

I think the biggest issue will be the line of cars and parking buses all going to the lower level. It will take a while to get to the curb to load/unload.
SamirD and HGH like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:45 am
HGH

Originally Posted by robertablake
I think the escalators, elevator(s?) and staircases should handle the passengers with slight delays. Many passengers are being dropped off on the lower level already with the parking buses, or by choice. The elevator(s) are small and slow, so that will likely be problem for those that need it.

I think the biggest issue will be the line of cars and parking buses all going to the lower level. It will take a while to get to the curb to load/unload.
Using the hourly garage for drop off should still work, depending on how far back the line is. I forgot about the stairs - its been years since that was an option to me. Better head back to PT to get the knees up to speed. I do feel for those that have to use the elevators for whatever reason - those are slooow.
SamirD and robertablake like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I have a few hours in CLT later today. Any recommendations between the C/D vs. B Admirals Club there?
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I have a few hours in CLT later today. Any recommendations between the C/D vs. B Admirals Club there?
If you can get one of the seats in the B AC all the way in the back on the right by the TVs it can be relatively low-traffic and peaceful, otherwise, it can either be a total noisy zoo or half-empty--hard to know in advance. I generally have used it only when waiting for a flight out of A or B or when the other AC was closed. The C/D lounge is far larger and has more amenities, including bigger and newer restrooms, but when it's full, it can also be less than wonderful.
SamirD and robertablake like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by taxatty56
If you can get one of the seats in the B AC all the way in the back on the right by the TVs it can be relatively low-traffic and peaceful, otherwise, it can either be a total noisy zoo or half-empty--hard to know in advance. I generally have used it only when waiting for a flight out of A or B or when the other AC was closed. The C/D lounge is far larger and has more amenities, including bigger and newer restrooms, but when it's full, it can also be less than wonderful.
The only thing I would add is the C/D AC has the guacamole cart, while the B does not as it's too small for that.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Neither. The space where the temporary Admirals Club was- the second floor, accessible from the stairs in the food court (where the A, B and C concourses come together)- is much better: comfortable rocking chairs overlooking the food court area, with a piano player and large windows.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.