Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by coachkevin
I have never flown through CLT before. I am flying US Air and interested in your opinion of the 46 min connection time. I am in my mid-30's and in good shape so a brisk walk is not a problem.

5:15 AM TPA 6:49 AM CLT 1h34m -- A319 Coach (W)

Stop: Change plane

7:35 AM CLT 8:46 AM PHF 1h11m -- CRJ-200 Coach (W) - Operated by Air Wisconsin dba US Airways Express

Thanks!!!
The connecting flight will leave from concourse E, so figure a 10 or so minute walk depending what gate you arrive in. So plenty of time, assuming no big inbound delays.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: None
You should be in good shape as long as your TPA-CLT flight is within 10-15 minutes of being on schedule. The furthest you'll have to walk is from the end of B-Con to the end of E-Con (RJ concourse) and with a brisk walk you can make that in 15 minutes or less.

Jim
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:40 am

Thank you both for the reply. Leaving so early from TPA (1st flights out) we should be on time, I hope... Murphy is a friend of mine.

I truly appreciate your help.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by coachkevin
.. Leaving so early from TPA (1st flights out) we should be on time, I hope... .
Welcome to FlyerTalk, coachkevin ^

I agree - early morning flights generally have better chances of arriving early/on time. I don't mind scheduling early "tight" connections for myself through CLT ... in case of a missed connection, US would reschedule without charge on the next flight (availability permitting), and that would be the 11:09am flight in your case.

As others have mentioned, you won't have a problem if your TPA-CLT flight is early/on time.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Personally, I hate short connections like that. Last two flights through CLT for me had 45 minute connections. Outbound landed in D and departed from B, return landed at the end of B and departed end of D. IN both cases, by the time they found someone to move the gate to the plane, and waited for the people ahead of me to get off (sadly, even in the front of economy it took forever to get off each flight into CLT), I made it to the gate about the time they were calling Zone 3 each time.

Of course that's still 15 - 20 minutes before the close the gate, but on the smaller planes, that's when overhead space disappears.

But that's also just my quirk, I hate boarding later than Zone 1 and much rather prefer when I get to board in First because the standing in line part while yet another toursist tries stuffing an oversized carry-on into a too-small overhead compartment, then tries fitting their overstuffed backpack under the seat while sloshing their bag of burgers and paper cup full of coke around just annoys me to no end. But I'm not jaded or anything ;-)
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
For those of you who use ITA Matrix, I have found that using "clt us /padconnect 15" for morning flights, and "clt us /padconnect 20" for evening flights is a good first attempt at tolerable connections and avoiding a forced power-walk between E19 to/from B12 without time to get a biscuit at Bojangles before boarding.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
For those of you who use ITA Matrix, I have found that using "clt us /padconnect 15" for morning flights, and "clt us /padconnect 20" for evening flights is a good first attempt at tolerable connections and avoiding a forced power-walk between E19 to/from B12 without time to get a biscuit at Bojangles before boarding.
I really need to take the time to learn more about ITA Matrix's advanced features. It's become my go-to for finding flights even though I have to book via the company travel agency. When I tell them to find me flights, it always ends in an argument over price, but when I just say "Book me on flights XX, YY and ZZ" they just do as I ask without question.

Back on topic, I was pleasantly surprised on Monday that my flight from RDU came in on C3 and my flight from CLT to SAT went out on C19. It's rare that I get to stay on the same concourse and certainly happy that I didn't have to do the power-walk to get from one end of the airport to the other.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Maybe I'm missing it in this long thread, and it's not in the wiki. What are the official MCT (Minimum Connection Times) for CLT?

Looking at domestic, mainline to RJ. There's a 32 minute connection that isn't showing up when I search, I guess that's below MCT?

The alternative is a 2:33 layover; maybe I'll book that, hope for on time and try to sprint over to E and Move Up to the earlier one.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by swag
Maybe I'm missing it in this long thread, and it's not in the wiki. What are the official MCT (Minimum Connection Times) for CLT?

Looking at domestic, mainline to RJ. There's a 32 minute connection that isn't showing up when I search, I guess that's below MCT?

The alternative is a 2:33 layover; maybe I'll book that, hope for on time and try to sprint over to E and Move Up to the earlier one.
I would go with your plan B. MCT is 30 min domestic to domestic at CLT. Going from B/C to E is one case where I'd be concerned I wouldn't make it as there is zero margin for error.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
International-to-domestic transfer time at CLT?

Hi all - My wife is planning a work trip in December, flying FRA-CLT-CHS on US Airways. Her travel agency, in their infinite wisdom, has allowed only 85 minutes to connect on the way out (flight from FRA lands 14:50, connecting flight to Charleston departs 16:15).

Is this enough time to clear customs? Based on my experiences entering the US (usually via IAD, occasionally JFK or DFW), I think it's cutting it extremely close. Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? FYI we're both US citizens but not enrolled in Global Entry, etc.

And on a totally unrelated note, does US Airways have any plans to integrate an E+ cabin soon for long-haul flights? Was unpleasantly surprised to find out the only options for a TATL flight are E- or Business
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ExpertFlyer cites an MCT of 60 minutes with some flight number exceptions.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by chleonard
Hi all - My wife is planning a work trip in December, flying FRA-CLT-CHS on US Airways. Her travel agency, in their infinite wisdom, has allowed only 85 minutes to connect on the way out (flight from FRA lands 14:50, connecting flight to Charleston departs 16:15).

Is this enough time to clear customs? Based on my experiences entering the US (usually via IAD, occasionally JFK or DFW), I think it's cutting it extremely close. Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? FYI we're both US citizens but not enrolled in Global Entry, etc.
She should make it. Particularly in December so long as it's not during the holidays, there's less arriving international traffic around that time to back up immigration. Barring delays out of FRA, she should make it. She shouldn't waste time until she reclears security after immigration, but I think she'll make it with relative ease if FRA-CLT is on time or close to it.

And on a totally unrelated note, does US Airways have any plans to integrate an E+ cabin soon for long-haul flights? Was unpleasantly surprised to find out the only options for a TATL flight are E- or Business
It is our hope that Main Cabin Extra - AA's term for E+ - will be added to the legacy US fleet, but timelines have not been announced.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:09 am

Your wife will be fine with a 85 minute connection, seeing how we have had the "seasonal international pulldown" and thhat there are only four international flights arrriving from Europe (Frankfurt, Munich and London Heathrow x2) there won't be many people in the customs and immigration hall.

Also Charlotte is a very easy airport to connect in, there is reason why CLT is nicknamed "Layover Country".

I have heard that beginning this winter, we may begin to install MCE on our planes, but that is all I have heard about it.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Oct 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...Will US Air bump her to a later flight if she misses her connection? ...
Yes. If she misses the 4:15pm CLT-CHS, they'd get her (space available) on the 6:10pm or 7:50pm flight.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Flights changed, will I make this connection at CLT?

Hi, purchased a flight with a 1 hour, fifteen minute connection time and the flights have changed as follows:

DTW-CLT

Connection time 43 minutes

CLT-SXM (St. Maartin)

Mid-January flights - Am I going to make this connection? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.