Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:17 pm

There is a thread in here that talks extensively about Charlotte's airport (CLT).

CLT is a very easy airport to navigate. US flies out of concourses B, C, D, E. The concourses fan out from a central terminal building with A on the far side of one end and E on the far side of the other end. On each concourse even gates are on one side of the hall, odds on the other (generally speaking).

Everything is well signed. It shouldn't be an issues, just following the signs.

Even at a leisurely walking pace it should not take more than 30 minutes to walk from the end of B to the end of E.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Where are you coming from and going to? That will give us a better idea of what the connection will be like. With that said, if everything is on time 1 hour is plenty of time. There are no buses, tunnels, or anything else complicated - everything is on one level and within walking distance (albeit Terminal E is a fair hike).

If the cause of a delay is weather related, then you are on your own to find a hotel, though there are plenty of reasonably-priced options nearby with shuttles. If the delay is caused by maintenance, then US will have to put you up.

If weather in CLT is the cause of the delay, then don't forget there's a good chance your connection will also be delayed.

All in all, CLT is an excellent airport for connections.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by newbieflyer11
i'm a relatively new flyer, as you probably can discern from my nickname, and new to flyertalk, hopefully you'll go easy on me i tried a search, but couldn't locate the information needed. i'm connecting through charlotte this summer, and i have a short connection (<1 hour) for the last flight of the day.
Welcome to Flyertalk newbieflyer11!!!^

I merged your post into our existing thread on the CLT airport. For future reference, there's a sticky at the top of the forum called, "Links to popular ongoing US Airways Threads: LOOK IN HERE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS," which contain links to threads on the US hubs, some aircraft, and other common topics.

As others have indicated, I don't think you'll run into problems at CLT, provided your incoming aircraft is on time.
I did miss a connection at CLT in Dec, but it was due to de-icing in BOS, we were late to arrive at CLT, had to wait for a gate, etc.
But on several other occasions, I've made it from the far end of B to express flights, way out in E, with plenty of time to spare.
I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with the map ahead of time and read through this thread. When you arrive, go directly to your next gate--don't stop for something to eat, restroom, or anything else. After you get to the gate, you can assess if there's time prior to boarding.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Anyone else notice CLT term B and C have been hot lately. last Sunday, downright toasty at C and B (late gate change allowed me to sample both) and again today in the AM. The air clearly wasn't running properly in C.

Generally I'm happy with CLT, this new sauna enhancement is for the birds though!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: None
It doesn't help the inside temp that B & C are aligned roughly N-S so all the windows on the sides of those concourses let direct sunlight in during the earlier morning and later in the afternoon. Added to the crowds when everyone is connecting - 100 people give off enough body heat to heat a small house in the winter - and it can get decidedly warm in the summer.

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
There are no buses, tunnels, or anything else complicated - everything is on one level and within walking distance (albeit Terminal E is a fair hike).
The E gates are on ramp level so one floor down from the A/B/C/D gates but there an escalator and elevator.

Think of CLT as a big retangular room - the central terminal. Starting with the upper left corner, A-Con is on that corner, B-Con on the next corner, C-Con on the corner at the other end (lower right corner) and D/E-Cons on the 4th corner. The only thing that can be confusing is that E-Con is off of D-Con instead of off the central terminal so if you're going to/from E-Con watch the signs closely.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:06 am

thanks for the help, everyone!

i will do my best to prepare myself and enlist help. however, when i misconnected and got lost in minnesota, on delta, they put me up in a hotel and provided meal vouchers. this was not a mechanical or weather. i just explained i got lost. was wondering if this is standard practice, because ive heard us airways is more stinger than other airlines
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I wouldn't hold my breath for US doing that.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
however, when i misconnected and got lost in minnesota, on delta, they put me up in a hotel and provided meal vouchers. this was not a mechanical or weather. i just explained i got lost. was wondering if this is standard practice, because ive heard us airways is more stinger than other airlines
How many years back was this? A lot changed in years and airlines are less willing to give things away when it is not clearly their issue.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by iztok
How many years back was this? A lot changed in years and airlines are less willing to give things away when it is not clearly their issue.
last year, actually. it might've helped that i had (have) a disability. never had a misconnection on us airways, though
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:44 pm

Just check which gates you'll arrive at and depart from (check the same day of the week for the prior week as well as the prior business day) and use the map on the CLT airport website to plot your course. You may want to print the terminal map out and mark your route on it. Do keep in mind that gate assignments can change at the last minute.

I can walk from the end of E to the end of B - the gates furtherest apart - in about 10-12 minutes but that's at a brisk walk. If your disability makes it harder to get around, CLT has electric carts that'll take you anwhere but up/down the stairs/elevator for E-concourse. Just ask the gate agent when you deplane to call for one.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
i'm a relatively new flyer, as you probably can discern from my nickname, and new to flyertalk, hopefully you'll go easy on me i tried a search, but couldn't locate the information needed. i'm connecting through charlotte this summer, and i have a short connection (<1 hour) for the last flight of the day. what would happen if i misconnect? i get lost a bit easily, overwhelmed by my surroundings. i examined the map of charlotte, and it doesn't look bad, but sometimes i get lost easily. i'll try requesting help at the airport, but if i do get lost, will USAir rebook me onto the next flight in the morning, as well as provide a hotel?

when i got lost in minneapolis, with delta, several years back, they provided me a hotel and meal voucher without asking, even when there was no weather/mechanical/ATC delays.

thanks for your input!
Once you leave the aircraft, as you emerge from the jetway, there may be a US Airways rep standing close by. This person is there to help you with connections. If you are not sure there will be a person there, ask a flight attendant if there will be someone as you disembark, with whom you can speak. I know how confusing it all can be as you rush through into the airport. So much going on but takea few moments to orient yourself. As others have said, CLT is a good airport to find your way around. It is one of my favorites. I like the central 'hub' with the "A, B, C, D" radiating off the hub. You will do fine.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It doesn't help the inside temp that B & C are aligned roughly N-S so all the windows on the sides of those concourses let direct sunlight in during the earlier morning and later in the afternoon. Added to the crowds when everyone is connecting - 100 people give off enough body heat to heat a small house in the winter - and it can get decidedly warm in the summer.

Jim
I agree with all that, but I didn't notice the heat until this past week. All those windows, and people haven't changed recently, so I think they are skimping on AC or it is malfunctioning. It must've been 85 on Sunday.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I agree with all that, but I didn't notice the heat until this past week. All those windows, and people haven't changed recently, so I think they are skimping on AC or it is malfunctioning. It must've been 85 on Sunday.
I was in B today and didn't notice anything unusual in terms of heat.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Think of CLT as a big retangular room - the central terminal.

Jim
I think of it like a hand. All fingers radiate off the Atrium (well, D/E is like weird slightly attached fingers, but you get my point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.