FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/960664-guide-clt-charlotte-douglas-airport-mct-connection-etc.html)

iztok Jun 2, 2009 2:29 pm

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

The original post content has been updated and moved to the wiki post.

The original post can be read in the archive of 2013 and prior years' posts here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...rport-lus.html

Our thanks to izt for starting this important thread and contributing the extensive seminal information.

American Airlines | AAdvantage forum moderation team

ibrandsguest Jan 1, 2014 7:39 am

The Preferred line at the security checkpoint to the left of the US first class ticket counter (leading to the C/D concourses) isn't quick- when I flew out on Sunday afternoon, it seemed as though everyone except airport/airline employees was funneled into the Preferred line, and so it took about 20 minutes to get through security.

The one leading to the A/B concourses isn't particularly fast, either.

plon Jan 2, 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 22061381)
The Preferred line at the security checkpoint to the left of the US first class ticket counter (leading to the C/D concourses) isn't quick- when I flew out on Sunday afternoon, it seemed as though everyone except airport/airline employees was funneled into the Preferred line, and so it took about 20 minutes to get through security.

They had the preferred lines and the PreCheck Lines shut down early on Sunday. The sign for 'Preferred' was still there but there was no Preferred line. I asked a TSA agent and got barked at to go to the back of the normal line and wait like everyone else. Mentioned the bad temper to another agent and they said "Oh, he's the 'Behavior analyst' but always has behavior issues, sorry he was rude!"

KenTarmac Jan 2, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 22061381)

No surprise here. The checkpoint to the left of the US first counter is the Bravo (B) checkpoint. You can almost always count on there being backups at both A and B checkpoints. Just walk down to C, D or E and make your entry there. The exercise will do you good and I guarantee the wait will be shorter at one of those checkpoints. There's a preferred lane at checkpoint C and a pre-check lane at checkpoint D as outlined at the top of this page. Checkpoints A and B aren't the only choices.

Originally Posted by plon (Post 22069734)
They had the preferred lines and the PreCheck Lines shut down early on Sunday. The sign for 'Preferred' was still there but there was no Preferred line. I asked a TSA agent and got barked at to go to the back of the normal line and wait like everyone else. Mentioned the bad temper to another agent and they said "Oh, he's the 'Behavior analyst' but always has behavior issues, sorry he was rude!"

LOL ...

Figures ...

GrjApp Jan 2, 2014 9:39 pm

The last few times I flew out of CLT, maybe starting sometime in November if I remember correctly, they closed down the preferred lines in B and D altogether and made the entire C checkpoint preferred (and some airport employees in a separate line). There's even a gatekeeper to check you're preferred/first/etc. No idea if this is a permanent move or not, it looked that way. All I know is that it definitely isn't any faster than before.

youvesaiditall Jan 3, 2014 7:11 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac (Post 22072021)
No surprise here. The checkpoint to the left of the US first counter is the Bravo (B) checkpoint. You can almost always count on there being backups at both A and B checkpoints. Just walk down to C, D or E and make your entry there.

Checkpoint B is not to the left of the US Air Counter. B is to the left of AA and WN and to the right of United. C is to the left of US Air. C is the Priority line that is a mess--it is also because they recently closed the B priority line. B now has two options: Normal Line or PreCheck. (At least this is how it was running last week)

KenTarmac Jan 3, 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall (Post 22074644)
Checkpoint B is not to the left of the US Air Counter. B is to the left of AA and WN and to the right of United. C is to the left of US Air. C is the Priority line that is a mess--it is also because they recently closed the B priority line. B now has two options: Normal Line or PreCheck. (At least this is how it was running last week)

Thanks for the update and correction. I was citing that info from memory. I haven't been outbound from CLT since late October. Obviously my memory failed me. I'll update the thread wiki to reflect that C is now the only priority lane.

Sorry to hear things are screwed up with the priority lanes. I've got PreCheck myself. I find it much more valuable insofar as getting through security is much quicker and more convenient with PreCheck than any airline "priority" status could ever provide.

Also, my prior statement about moving on to checkpoints D or E when A, B and/or C are backed up still stands. Navigating CLT checkpoints isn't that difficult when you know the tricks to get around the crowds.

Norkler Jan 4, 2014 6:27 am

Anyone know if they are going to add lanes at the terminal. They are well on the way with the new parking garages. I see no evidence they are going to add lanes in front of the terminal. Its quite pathetic that there is only two lanes for all arrival traffic.

Buses,hotel,taxis,rental cars, and everyone else- two lanes and a relative short drop off zone. The is more room at GNV for goodness sake.

other than that I like CLT

and working moving sidewalks would be good too- not that I can't use the exercise

kudzu Jan 4, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Norkler (Post 22081303)
Anyone know if they are going to add lanes at the terminal. ...

It'd take 2 more years (Dec 2015 projected), but more lanes are coming.

... Additional commercial and passenger vehicle lanes will be constructed to assist those picking up and dropping off passengers. When complete, a total of 16 lanes will accommodate traffic.

Traffic flow will be reconfigured on each level; commercial vehicles will move to the three inside lanes and personal vehicles to the five outside lanes. This project will also move the roadway further north to accommodate the future Terminal Lobby Expansion ...

dubstyle311 Jan 5, 2014 6:11 pm

Damn...just got a notice that US424 CLT-PDX is delayed from 6:15 to 8:15.

I can burn a special dividends day pass to the club but I'm traveling with a colleague and i don't know if he's going to want to buy his was in.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to hang out besides the club? I'm a PHL guy, i actually don't get through CLT too often at all. At PHL im usually content to sit at vino volo. But it looks like clt doesnt have one.

scottsam66 Jan 6, 2014 3:07 pm

This could go on the "least substantial thing you can complain about" thread (don't think US has one though).
Anyway, at CLT, my home airport, I've heard a particular announcement several times...
In this announcement the lovely lady usese the work escalator.
However she pronounces it, es-qya-lator. (Kind of like those that don't know how to pronounce nuclear, and go with nook-qya-ler.
Amusing, but I do feel like an airport PA probably should have accurate pronunciations.

Argonott Jan 8, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 22098086)
This could go on the "least substantial thing you can complain about" thread (don't think US has one though).
Anyway, at CLT, my home airport, I've heard a particular announcement several times...
In this announcement the lovely lady usese the work escalator.
However she pronounces it, es-qya-lator. (Kind of like those that don't know how to pronounce nuclear, and go with nook-qya-ler.
Amusing, but I do feel like an airport PA probably should have accurate pronunciations.

Now I'm going to hear that every time I leave and return home. Darn it all.... :D

scottsam66 Jan 11, 2014 5:25 pm

WARNING TO Charlotte based flyers: they are wreaking havoc at CLT with construction and roads. Effective 1/8 Little Rock Road is now only one way towards the airport. Long Term Lots 1 and 2, and rental car cos are effected. You can't take Little Rock to I-85/I-77 now, you have to go only direction you can on little rock, right on Old Dowd, then right on Marshall will take you to Wilkinson Blvd.
I discovered this Friday nite leaving LT 2, turned right into oncoming traffic. Not well lit (pitch black actually) and no signage visible.
Whoppeee!

scottsam66 Feb 5, 2014 4:31 pm

US Club men's restroom Monday AM

Hello FT
Anyone else frequent US clubs in CLT Monday mornings?
I think it's insane that for a pretty big club between C and D there is one bathroom and 4 stalls for men!
It's comical to see men in suits and ties waiting in a stinky bathroom for the privilege to plop down on a still hot toilet seat-- (let alone the stench!)
I have given up, and find a more pleasant experience when the need arises using the public restrooms! Sacrilege, I know but in CLT C they are pretty much the same as the Clubs, and no waiting.
More stalls please US Club!

Sorry for the "poopy rant"!:D:D

pdpgps Feb 5, 2014 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 22294159)
Hello FT
Anyone else frequent US clubs in CLT Monday mornings?
I think it's insane that for a pretty big club between C and D there is one bathroom and 4 stalls for men!
It's comical to see men in suits and ties waiting in a stinky bathroom for the privilege to plop down on a still hot toilet seat-- (let alone the stench!)
I have given up, and find a more pleasant experience when the need arises using the public restrooms! Sacrilege, I know but in CLT C they are pretty much the same as the Clubs, and no waiting.
More stalls please US Club!

Sorry for the "poopy rant"!:D:D

Could always try the club bathroom in concourse B? :)