That time I switched seats too early…

Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
That time I switched seats too early…

My husband and I flew LAX-PHL on Saturday. We had two aisles across from each other. The flight was fully booked, but as departure time came, there were many empty seats, including the middle and window next to my husband. Both seats on my side were occupied.

Right at departure time, 30 more people got on. Must have been a late connecting arrival. Once they were all on, my husband’s two was still empty. I asked the FA if boarding was finished, and he said, “yes.”

I quickly moved over to husband’s side, taking the window and leaving the middle free. “Score” I thought! In the meantime, the people on my original side rearranged themselves into aisle and window, leaving their middle free as well.

Sigh - 15 minutes after scheduled departure, more people get on, including the guy occupying MY window seat.

Yes, I am then the one who caused everyone to switch back to the assigned seats. It was a real domino effect.

Yes, I survived the trip!
apeortdz and PeS like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:16 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Usually only the gate agent knows when the boarding is done so I wouldn't necessarily rely on the FA. If I want to switch seats, I wait for the front door to close.
Antarius, TWA884, mnhusker and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:31 am

If I notice a better seat I like, I ask the FA if it is okay to move after we are up in the air. I also ask surrounding passengers if it is okay.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:21 pm

The other thing to remember is that - "you snooze and you loose". A couple of times I have seen that people seem to move really fast to take advantage of these empty seats. Lesson learnt - you see an aisle seat right next to you, jump on it before somebody else does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.