Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: None
What time of day? If you catch the afternoon TATL arrivals or last inbounds from the Caribbean/L America it could be a little tight - a lot of people are clearing ICE at those periods - but otherwise it should be ok.

Jim
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: US, HH
So today they had a new approach road to the terminal and more importantly the daily lot. It was generally pretty quick and straightforward to head to the daily lot from Billy Graham Pkwy. That approach is now closed at the light before you get to the deck and all traffic had to turn right, go a block past the longterm lots and then left towards the terminal. Little Rock Rd I think.

That in itself I can live with, but it means the shuttle to the terminal now has to backtrack past the long term lots to get to the terminal. You might as well park in longterm then. I don't know if this is a permanent closure or not, I really hope not.

The day one can walk to the terminal again fom the daily lot can't come fast enough.

On the plus side though, the preferred checkpoint C was guarded and the line was really short. You could also do pre-check there, although the ID check was shared, but it didn't matter much. This was the first time I've seen them do pre-check there as well since they turned the whole checkpoint into preferred only.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:14 am

Having flown out of CLT twice this week, the new approach / road work is a DISASTER. The signage is terrible, and the promised extra staff to direct traffic were non-existent.

On Thursday AM curbside valet was closed and was told to circle the terminal. The only problem with that is that the typical route around the daily lots is now closed and you have to go all the way out to little rock road. You might as well park at Long-Term or Biz Valet at that point.

Yesterday on return, the daily lot buses were few and far between, namely because they have to circle all the way back to Little Rock Road.

Traffic was backed up everywhere.

LEAVE EXTRA TIME FOR NOW IF DRIVING TO CLT. The airport has really screwed this up.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
CLT airport a new adventure daily
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by gottigotti

LEAVE EXTRA TIME FOR NOW IF DRIVING TO CLT. The airport has really screwed this up.
How exactly did they screw this up? They anticipated every delay, and used every conventional and social media to warn all travelers to arrive extra early, expect delays, and monitor the signage. When you perform heavy construction in a small land-constricted area like the airport, everyone has to get delayed. No one is above it, and I can't see what else they could have done....
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
The airport has really screwed this up.
What would have you done? Area is VERY limited and construction has to be done to fix the growth issue. Not like you can magically teleport to the gate.

Use something like Business Valet or other park service down the road near the interstate and your problem will go away. On the second thought, maybe don't use the former as it is getting crowded as it is.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was flying CLT-CDG yesterday and I was a little bit surprised about how unorganized and tedious the boarding process was. After spending some time at the Lounge, I arrived at the gate when Business Class was boarding so I joined the queue. I was turned away by a lady who was checking boarding passes and asked me to have my Passport verified. I showed her my DOCS OK mark on my BP, but she said it wasn't valid and that every single passport had to be verified by the gate agent. Looks like they announced this while I was in the lounge, so the line at the podium was very long, took around 10 minutes as most passengers were completing the process.
When I was done, I was sent over to the General boarding line, as, for some reason, the Priority line was CLOSED! Asked the same lady who turned me away and she was reluctant to let me and other Business Class passengers board through the Priority Line. In the end, another gate agent stopped the general line and allowed us to cut in front.

Is this document re-verification a standard procedure at CLT?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Is this document re-verification a standard procedure at CLT?
It is a standard procedure, and not just at CLT. On an international itinerary, you will have a document check at the gate for whichever segment actually crosses the border. You'll have to do that regardless of whether you presented your passport to an agent on an earlier segment.

There are two reasons for this: because they want to make sure you can legally enter the country you're traveling to (hence, for example, you'll be turned away from a flight to Brazil if you don't have a visa), and because the US has a documentation requirement for exiting the country.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
It is a standard procedure, and not just at CLT. On an international itinerary, you will have a document check at the gate for whichever segment actually crosses the border. You'll have to do that regardless of whether you presented your passport to an agent on an earlier segment.

There are two reasons for this: because they want to make sure you can legally enter the country you're traveling to (hence, for example, you'll be turned away from a flight to Brazil if you don't have a visa), and because the US has a documentation requirement for exiting the country.
Other carriers (at least AA, DL, AF, BA, KL) will just verify your passport while scanning your BP during boarding. This is the first time I've seen that you need to go to the podium before being able to have your BP scanned. This is why I asked if this was a standard procedure at CLT, since I've never seen it done that way.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:17 pm

Other carriers (at least AA, DL, AF, BA, KL) will just verify your passport while scanning your BP during boarding. This is the first time I've seen that you need to go to the podium before being able to have your BP scanned. This is why I asked if this was a standard procedure at CLT, since I've never seen it done that way.
This has always been my experience with US at CLT. I forget what LH did when I flew them. I agree that it is usually done at boarding with any other carrier and I've never flown internationally on US from any other gateway, but every time from CLT I've had to visit the podium before boarding.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Having flown out of CLT twice this week, the new approach / road work is a DISASTER. The signage is terrible, and the promised extra staff to direct traffic were non-existent.

On Thursday AM curbside valet was closed and was told to circle the terminal. The only problem with that is that the typical route around the daily lots is now closed and you have to go all the way out to little rock road. You might as well park at Long-Term or Biz Valet at that point.

Yesterday on return, the daily lot buses were few and far between, namely because they have to circle all the way back to Little Rock Road.

I drove to the terminal at about 5pm yesterday, and actually thought the new traffic pattern was great, at least for someone just being dropped off at departures like I was. Instead of dealing with merging traffic in the curves around the daily decks, the new entry road just put you on a straight-shot towards the terminal - way better.

I did see what appeared to be a super long line of people waiting for shuttles on the bottom level. Especially after they completely close Old Dowd road, it seems like the shuttles are going to have to really make a big loop...not sure how that's going to work from the daily lot.

But I can definitely see long term how this is going to be a huge improvement. I think opening the short term decks at the end of the year will make a big difference, because it will remove all the rental car shuttles from the traffic pattern, as well as decrease passengers on the daily shuttle (since many people are using daily as a short term lot right now). And once the road in front of the terminal is expanded to eight lanes, things will be great (although that's a little way's off).

I thought the doc check at the podium was a mandatory thing. I flew UA from IAD and ORD internationally last year, and had to do the same thing - doc check at the podium beforehand, verified upon boarding/scanning the BP.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Looks like the Preferred lane before security is now basically gone, at least on weekends.

There used to be a Preferred lane at the entrance to the C concourse, then it moved over to the A/B entrance, and now it's back at the C concourse; if you're facing the US Airways first class/Preferred ticket counters, it's to the left.

However, the only lane at the C concourse, at least on the past few Sundays when I've flown, is for Preferreds (and first class); there is no "regular" lane. (There are two lanes, but one, which is the old Preferred lane, is closed, and the old "regular" lane, is marked "Preferred" but is open to anyone.)

I've noticed a huge line in that lane- just as long as the regular line at the entrance to the A/B concourses. When I've started to enter, I've noticed the sign saying "Preferred/First Class", and a security person asks, "Are you Preferred or first class?" when I start to enter.

However, the sole lane at the entrance to the C concourse, despite being marked "Preferred", is clearly used by just anyone who wants to use it, since the line is very, very long-much longer than it used to be- and is full of people who don't look like frequent flyers, and since the security person doesn't check boarding passes.

So I have used the D or E security lanes, which are much faster, even though there is no Preferred lane.

So...any way to contact the US station manager and get this situation fixed? The closed lane at the C concourse security entrance should be reopened and made a Preferred lane, as it used to be, or the Preferred lane should be enforced as just for Preferreds.

Thanks.
I feel like this is such a fluid situation. Here's what I observed yesterday, having entered the terminal by B, but ultimately going through E (I was flying out of D):

A: I didn't see A (but assuming it was the normal "open to anyone")

B: Double pre-check lanes, plus a "general" lane

C: Preferred's only, and seemed to be enforced. Line was fairly short, maybe only 12-15 people in the whole checkpoint.

D: Only open to crewmembers/airport staff. This was really weird, because I thought D was the other pre-check checkpoint other than B, so I headed down that way. But every member of the public was turned away - the only people allowed in the whole checkpoint were crew and staff. It was basically empty. Even weirder because isn't there a crewmember access point right in the middle of the terminal, in between the ticket counters?

E: Pre-check (which was pretty empty) and general public. The only downside here is that they were feeding some of the general public into the precheck line (although post-ID check, so it didn't slow things down too much). They don't seem to do this as much at the B pre-check checkpoint.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon

D: Only open to crewmembers/airport staff. Even weirder because isn't there a crewmember access point right in the middle of the terminal, in between the ticket counters?
There used to be crewmember only access just to the right of the C checkpoint. Maybe they finally shut it down - every few months there was a warning internal email that it'd be shut down if people didn't stop letting other crewmembers through.

Jim
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by gj83
This has always been my experience with US at CLT. I forget what LH did when I flew them. I agree that it is usually done at boarding with any other carrier and I've never flown internationally on US from any other gateway, but every time from CLT I've had to visit the podium before boarding.
I've done it at PHL, too, which is why I said "not just CLT".
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:37 am

I haven't been out of the country in a few years, but it may be related to US' one agent per flight staffing. Get the Docs Checked stamp prior to beginning boarding so the agent doesn't have to check docs during boarding.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.