FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/958317-aa-guide-phl-philadelphia-international-airport-mct-connection-mct-etc.html)

bitburgr May 26, 2009 1:34 pm

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

The original post content has been updated and moved to the wiki post.

The original post can be read in the archive of 2013 and prior years' posts here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...rport-lus.html

Our thanks to bitburgr for starting this important thread and contributing the extensive seminal information.

American Airlines | AAdvantage forum moderation team

dubstyle311 Jan 1, 2014 12:09 pm

Has there been any updates on the terminal renovations? Now that the merger has closed, i wonder if the city/airlines will update their plans.

perseus11 Jan 2, 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dubstyle311 (Post 22062641)
Has there been any updates on the terminal renovations? Now that the merger has closed, i wonder if the city/airlines will update their plans.

The following part of the $6B FAA CEP Plan has been agreed to by US Airways (Parker) - prior to the merger and includes approx. $800M in funding commitments for:
• A 1,500ft extension of runway 9L-27R that increases the total runway length to 12,000ft, providing the capability to accommodate large, long-haul aircraft flying to any point on the globe
• A redesigned and enhanced Terminal B and C ticketing area, which will include an automated baggage handling and screening system and a more spacious, centralised passenger security screening checkpoint to provide for greater efficiency and enhanced passenger flow
• Replacement of the current rental car facility surface lots with a multi-story consolidated rental car facility
• An initial design for an automated people-mover system between concourses that will make it easier for passengers to connect to other flights
• Airside improvements to include new taxiway/aircraft holding bays/apron to better queue for departure
• Continued rehabilitation of other existing airport infrastructure projects, including security upgrades, roof and window replacements, escalator upgrades, airport restrooms, roadways, concession programs and flight information display systems.

At the same time the above was agreed, US and the airport extended their lease agreement to June 30, 2015. I don't believe the above can be dismissed, except in Bankruptcy.

The ? is, what are the new AA's future plans for PHL and how will that affect further funding committments (by Parker) ?
For example, do A-West and A-East have sufficient gate space to support significant international expansion? A while back, the city proposed to expand A-West by decreasing gate seperation and/or extending the end of the terminal to the existing south hanger, which I believe was the old TWA hanger. Of course now with the merged US/AA, it would possibly be easier to just make A-East an all new (AA) terminal and connect all (unconnected) gates to the CIS.

dubstyle311 Jan 3, 2014 12:00 pm

I may be the only one, but I love having PHL as a home terminal as is. Hopefully a redesigned american terminal will be an improvement.

jiffer21225 Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

Enough connection time in PHL

I am looking at booking a flight from BWI to CUN for this April. I was hoping you guys here could give me some advice on the connection time. The flight will layover in PHL on the way to CUN. The flight I was considering has a 48 minute connection. Do you guys think this would be enough time to connect from domestic to international at PHL airport?

fmastr Jan 11, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jiffer21225 (Post 22132424)
I am looking at booking a flight from BWI to CUN for this April. I was hoping you guys here could give me some advice on the connection time. The flight will layover in PHL on the way to CUN. The flight I was considering has a 48 minute connection. Do you guys think this would be enough time to connect from domestic to international at PHL airport?

tight but should be enough time - if you land in B or C terminal it's a 10-15 minute walk +/- to get to A terminal ..... if you land in F terminal there is a shuttle that will drop you at A1 ......

jiffer21225 Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

Originally Posted by fmastr (Post 22132863)
tight but should be enough time - if you land in B or C terminal it's a 10-15 minute walk +/- to get to A terminal ..... if you land in F terminal there is a shuttle that will drop you at A1 ......

Thanks. Is there any way to find out ahead of time what terminal the flight will land in?

The only other option I have is a 3 1/2 layover. I would really hate to sit in the airport for hours and hours if not needed. But I hate to pick a layover that is to tight and I miss my flight. I am not sure what to pick.

pa3lsvt Jan 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by dubstyle311 (Post 22076532)
I may be the only one, but I love having PHL as a home terminal as is. Hopefully a redesigned american terminal will be an improvement.

You aren't alone (loving PHL as home base). Three clubs. I can get nearly anywhere in 2 flights or less, most places in one, and some pretty small places (through F). Many kinds of good food to eat before an outbound. If it was more robust to WX and the parking indicators worked better in the garages I'd be thrilled.

Flyer78 Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I wish the parking roadway had a scoreboard of spaces available, before turning into one of the garages. Yeah, the counts can be waaaay off, but sometimes it would be nice to know C D E/F are full before passing B...

joejoe666 Jan 13, 2014 6:08 am

A US guide to PHL (The Philadelphia airport)

There are no short term (jan-june 2014) plans to change AA gates right?

doctor15 Jan 13, 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by jiffer21225 (Post 22133056)
Thanks. Is there any way to find out ahead of time what terminal the flight will land in?

The only other option I have is a 3 1/2 layover. I would really hate to sit in the airport for hours and hours if not needed. But I hate to pick a layover that is to tight and I miss my flight. I am not sure what to pick.

Coming from BWI, I assume you are on an express carrier and will almost certainly land in F. It is doable, but keep in mind boarding will start at least 30 minutes before. You will need to wait for the shuttle from the F terminal, take a short ride, then it still could take another 5 minutes to get to the gate.

I would recommend the 3.5hr option.. particularly if that is the only flight to CUN of the day or it is very important to get there on time.

jiffer21225 Jan 13, 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by doctor15 (Post 22145450)
Coming from BWI, I assume you are on an express carrier and will almost certainly land in F. It is doable, but keep in mind boarding will start at least 30 minutes before. You will need to wait for the shuttle from the F terminal, take a short ride, then it still could take another 5 minutes to get to the gate.

I would recommend the 3.5hr option.. particularly if that is the only flight to CUN of the day or it is very important to get there on time.

Thanks for the advice.So I decided to add a extra day to my vacation and I will be leaving a day earlier. I have a few more options on flights and would everyone's thoughts on which one to choose.

We have the choice for the flight there to be:

layover in PHL for 65 minutes to arrive in Cancun at 10:45am
layover in CTL for 1 hr and 20 minutes to arrive in Cancun 11:40 am

I wouldn't mind being in cancun almost a hour earlier but I don't know if this is enough time in PHL. Out of those two which one do you guys recommend?

We were thinking about picking a flight to return home with a layover in CTL of 2 hours. Do you guys think that will be enough time to clear everything? There was another option of layover in PHL for 2 1/2 hours. Do you guys think one airport is easier to deal with then another?

Thanks for all the advice of everyone here

Flyer78 Jan 13, 2014 11:59 am

Just as a heads up, and sorry to complicate things; There are some flights BWI and PHL that use bigger equipment (I think there is even an A319). These flights will land in AE, B or C - I have seen them at each pier. When you book, pay attention to what equipment type... The Dash-8 will certainly park at F.

phlwookie Jan 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by joejoe666 (Post 22143973)
There are no short term (jan-june 2014) plans to change AA gates right?

None announced. They may not move at all, as they're adjacent to other gates US uses in Terminal A-East.

jiffer21225 Jan 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by doctor15 (Post 22145450)

I want to thank everyone for the advice. I think I am leaning towards the CLT flight to Cancun. I would love to get there earlier but CLT sounds like a airport that would be easier to navigate through.

The return flight I am on the fence. I am not sure which way to go. A 2 hour layover in CLT which sounds like a easier airport to layover in or a 2 1/2 hour layover in PHL which can be a more difficult to layover in. Both flights leave Cancun 30 minutes apart.

What do you guys think?