Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA in PHL

Link to downloadable PDF PHL airport map

Philadelphia International Airport

This is a snapshot of post 1 of this thread, and has been revised over time. Feel free to add/modify what is here as needed. This thread originated in the legacy US Airways Dividend Miles forum. Link to older archived posts.

General Information
The airport is located at:
8000 Essington Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19153

Note: The baggage claim for terminal F has relocated to its own building on the arrivals roadway.

Passenger Information Guide: https://www.phl.org/Documents/Passen.../InfoGuide.pdf

Main airport website: http://www.phl.org

Link to contact phone numbers and email addresses for paging, parking, airport police, etc.

Check-In Times
Last confirmed 26 June 2017 (Click for link to source)

The following are recommended by AA:
  • For flights within the United States: 45 minutes before scheduled departure
  • For all other flights: At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure

Terminals
At PHL, AA operates from five terminals:
  • A-West for Gates A14 to A26
  • A-East for Gates A2 to A13
  • B for Gates B1 to B16
  • C for Gates C16 to C30
  • F for Gates F1 to F39
It is a good idea to verify which gate your flight is operating from before arriving. Generally you can assume the following:
  • Most flights in A-West and A-East are transatlantic (TATL) but there will be mainline domestic arrivals/departures and Republic regional flights, especially throughout the morning and early afternoon. If your flight is on an A330 or B767, it will almost certainly be at these gates.
  • B and C are mainline domestic, Caribbean, and Canadian flights and also include E-170/E175 and E190 flights. Before the merger, international flights served by B757s would depart from either concourse.
  • F is for regional flights (RJs with 50 seats or fewer as well as CRJ-700 and -900s and turboprops operate out of F) both domestic and Canadian.
  • oneworld partners (British Airways and Qatar) check-in and gates are in A-West.
  • AerLingus check-in and gate is in A-East.
  • Alaska Airlines (and Virgin America) use terminal D.

Ticket Counter Locations, Hours, and Kiosks
Last confirmed 15 January 2018 (Click for link to source)

Ticket Counters are staffed daily:
  • Terminal A-West: 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM
  • Terminal A-East: 3:30 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Terminals B and C: 3:30 AM - 9:00 PM
  • Terminal F: 4:00 AM - 10:30 PM
Kiosks are provided in the connector bridges between the parking garages and TSA Checkpoints at A-East, B, C, and F. There are also kiosks available by most AA gates. Mobile boarding passes for AA are accepted at all checkpoints.

Note: It is possible to use any AA ticket counter to check in and drop baggage, regardless of your flight's departure terminal.

Security at PHL
Last confirmed 7 October 2017 (Click for link to source)

TSA staffs checkpoints at all PHL terminals. All gates are connected airside, so it may be faster to use a checkpoint that is not associated with your gates.

PreCheck is only available at Terminal A-East, C, and D/E checkpoints.
  • Terminal A West: 5:15 am - 9:25 pm
  • Terminal A East: 3:30 am - 8:25 pm (PreCheck 3:30 am - 8:00 pm)
  • Terminal B: Open 24 hours
  • Terminal C: 4:15 am - 8:15 pm PreCheck ONLY
  • Terminal D/E: 3:45 am - 9:25 pm (PreCheck 3:45 am - 8:00 pm)
  • Terminal F: 4:15 am - 8:55 pm
Notes: International Arrivals following the connecting flights path will be directed to the A-East Checkpoint. If you have PreCheck, you may need to exit that queue and proceed to the far left, as you face the checkpoint, for TSA PreCheck access. Generally, if a checkpoint does not have full PreCheck available, you will get PreCheck Light, meaning you will have to remove liquids and laptops from your bag but will be able to pass through the metal detectors with shoes on as in a PreCheck checkpoint.

In the evening and overnight (observed after 11 PM), not all exits may be available. Looks for the visual paging displays (located by most Flight Info Displays and throughout the terminals) for exit closing announcements! Exit B is always open.

How to Change Terminals
Shuttle: AA offers the following shuttle routes:
  • Gate A1 (located between Terminal A-East and Terminal B) to Gate F10
  • Gate C16 (located between Terminal C and Terminal D) to Gate F10
  • Gate F10 (located in the Terminal F Food Hub) to Gate A1
  • Gate F10 (located in the Terminal F Food Hub) to Gate C16
Note: The shuttles at A1 and C16 only serve Terminal F. It is not necessary to reclear TSA when using shuttles.

Walking
  • Airside: It is possible to walk between all gates in all terminals. There are some moving walkways. "Normal" able-bodied adults can walk between almost any two gates in A, B, or C in about 15 minutes or less and between any two gates in F in about 5 minutes. Walking from F to A/B/C is longer; the distance from the furthest reaches of A-West to F is more than a mile.
  • Landside: You must leave the parking garages/ticketing halls to move between terminals before security. An option is to use the SEPTA rail platforms to move between terminals, which are accessible on the walkways to each terminal from the garages, about half-way between TSA and baggage claim.
  • Landside: It is also possible to use the Economy Parking Shuttle between terminals

ATMs
Bank of America provides 17 ATMs at the airport. A current list may be found here.

Prepaid SIM cards
You can buy prepaid SIM cards in the Airport Wireless stores. Those are airside. Not sure what is available landside as the only "retail" store is a newsstand in the International Arrivals hall.

Parking at PHL
On-site parking is managed by the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA).
Link to current rates.
Estimated parking availability in the garages is available from the Airport's homepage, www.phl.org.

NEW in June 2017: AAdvantage Aviator Cardholders (Barclay's) now have access to reserved parking. See this link for more info.

For off-airport parking lot information,
see this thread...

Where to eat and drink in the airport
There are all manner of restaurants in PHL, from wine bar to bistro to Asian to fast food. In addition to the establishments in each terminal, there is a food court between terminals B and C.

Food options vary throughout the airport, but there is a wide selection. Many open as early as 5:00 am, most are closed by 11:00pm. Due to renovations, there is no longer a 24/7 restaurant behind security. Philadelphia's beverage tax must be collected in city limits, which comprises of everything except Terminal A-West. Pepsi appears to be the preferred soda vendor throughout most of the airport, including Chick-Fil-A and Smashburger in the B/C food court. Coke products are still sold in some parts of the airport, but it may take some searching.

See this link for the current directory.

Terminal B was renovated in 2017-2018 to add iPads to most seats in the gate areas to allow ordering at the gate. A similar arrangement is used in some portions of Terminal F. (link to FT thread)

Admirals Clubs and Other Lounges
Last confirmed 15 January 2018 (Click for link to source)

Admirals Club: Terminal A-East, Lower Level, between gates A4 and A6A.
Open Daily 6:30 am - 10:30 pm

Admirals Club: Terminal A-West, Mezzanine Level, between gates A15 and A16.
Currently closed for renovation. Expected to be rebranded as a Flagship Lounge

Admirals Club: Terminals B and C, Third Floor over Food Court
Open Daily 4:30 am - 10:30 pm

Admirals Club: Terminal F, Upper Level Food Court in the Central Hub
Open Daily 6:30 am - 8:30 pm

British Airways Galleries Club Lounge / First Lounge:Terminal A-West, Gate Level by A14.
Open Daily 3:15 pm to 8:20 pm
Also serves Qatar Airways customers daily from 6:30 am to 10:30 am.
Note: This lounge has been known to disallow non BA passengers, regardless of OW entry rules.

American Express Centurion Lounge: Terminal A-West, Second Level by A14 (Over the BA Club).
Open daily 5:00 am to 9:00 pm.
This is currently the only premium lounge at PHL with a shower facility. Shower is back in operation as of 25 May 2018.

The USO lounge is now (late April 2018) located in Terminal E. Showers are said to be available in this lounge as well.

Minute Suites is available airside in the A-East/B connector, and is a Priority Pass lounge. There are no showers.
First 30 minutes free for use by nursing mothers.
Open daily 24 hours.

Wireless in PHL
Airport Wifi was recently upgraded and is free for all passengers.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
Only in designated smoking areas on the pick up roadways outside baggage claim. There is no smoking airside at the airport.

Do I have time to go into Philadelphia?
If your layover is more than three hours (and Im sure this is debatable), you may have time for a quick trip into the city.

Ground Transportation and How to Visit Philadelphia
The zones mentioned below refer to areas on either side of the baggage claims for each terminal. If you have hired a private car, or meeting with group transportation, it is common they will be waiting at the bottom of the escalators from your terminal. Zones 1-4 are typically on the Arrivals Roadway, Zones 5 through 8 are on the Commercial Roadway, adjacent to the railroad tracks.

It is against airport rules for any driver to solicit you from inside the terminal, but this is difficult to enforce.
  • Rental Cars: Both On- and Off-Airport agencies use company shuttle busses to their respective lots. Pickup is outside baggage claim, Zone 2.
  • SEPTA Regional Rail's Airport Line travels between each of the PHL terminals, Penn Medicine (formerly University City) and three Center City stops. This train runs every half-hour (currently every hour on weekends due to pandemic related service reductions) and takes about 20 minutes to get to 30th Street Station. Train fare is $6.50 from Quick Trip machines at the airport stations or Ticket offices at Center City stations (cash or credit/debit card) or $8 cash only (change is available) on board to Center City. Fare is $8.50 from machines or ticket offices or $9 cash on board to all other Regional Rail stations. If you are traveling to one of the three Center City stops, be sure to hold on to your ticket as you now need it to exit through the kiosks at those stations.
  • SEPTA Bus: Two city buses also serve the airport ($2.25 cash fare; exact change only). Bus berths are at Zone 1.
  • Center City Taxi: Accessed at Zone 5. A base flat-rate $28.50 + up to $3 in passenger charges (based on number of passengers 12+) is in effect for all fares to and from the airport and the Center City area. This area encompasses: Fairmount Ave (North), South Street (South) Delaware River (East) and University City/ 38th Street (West).All cabs are supposed to accept Credit Cards, verify with your driver at the start of the trip.
  • Metered Taxi: Metered rates are in effect for all destinations not in the Center City zone. Tolls and other surcharges may apply. All cabs are supposed to accept Credit Cards, verify with your driver at the start of the trip.
  • Uber and Lyft both operate at the airport, follow their directions provided to request a ride.
Print Wikipost

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
The last three times i have had to wait for a bag in PHL it has been a minimum of 30 minutes, one time it took > 60 minutes. Thankfully PHL is home for me, so I don't often have to connect there, but they are really bad about international baggage. I think your cutting it too close with that time frame.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Oh. Oh. I misread. You have to collect and recheck bags. I reverse my statement Sorry. Could be tight.
Can't the OP have bags checked through to final (BA) destination by AA at initial check-in? I thought AA did this when flights were on One World carriers.

As I understand, OP is connecting from domestic to Int'l, so no customs to deal with.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:16 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Oh. Oh. I misread. You have to collect and recheck bags. I reverse my statement Sorry. Could be tight.
Plus, you basically have to go across the street (from the terminal) to baggage claim, then schlep the bag back across the same street to check in for BA ... and most likely at a different terminal. Huge hassle.

Suggestions:
- Try to go carry-on only
- Try to cajole the AAgents at your origin to check the bag all the way through. (It is probably a losing battle)
- Hope the incoming flight is early.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Can't the OP have bags checked through to final (BA) destination by AA at initial check-in? I thought AA did this when flights were on One World carriers.

As I understand, OP is connecting from domestic to Int'l, so no customs to deal with.
Since mid-2016 AA no longer checks bags through on separate tickets. Doesn't matter if both flights are oneworld or even AA to AA.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Plus, you basically have to go across the street (from the terminal) to baggage claim, then schlep the bag back across the same street to check in for BA ... and most likely at a different terminal. Huge hassle.....
A bit dramatic. Although you have to cross OVER a Terminal access roadway to Baggage Claim, it's a short walk on a covered bridge.
GWFan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
No easy landslide transit at PHL between terminals,
Perhaps you can cajole a taxi with a large tip to haul your checked bags to BA?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:20 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by perseus11
A bit dramatic. Although you have to cross OVER a Terminal access roadway to Baggage Claim, it's a short walk on a covered bridge.
Correct. At most airports (well, at least the >150 airports I've been to), you land, deplane, go downstairs and get your baggage. At PHL, you do the same thing, except insert the words "cross the street", because the bag claim is not even in the same building ... nor the same side of the road ... as the checkin counters or gates.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dls25
It is doable if everything is ontime but I would not feel comfortable with it. I would give myself at least 4 hours on separate tickets. BA Check-In will close 1 hour before and PHL baggage delivery is infamously slow (think up to 45 minutes) and it can take up to 15 minutes to transfer terminals landside - this leaves you a 30 minute buffer.
they should both be terminal A if that makes a difference....
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Flying JFK to PHL with DL in F and connecting on separate ticket to DOH with QR in J. My DL flights arrive at 17:02 and in the DL app it shows a 100% on time performance. My QR flight is scheduled for departure at 20:55. So about 4 hours connection time. I have a lot of luggages, does PHL have luggage cart which I can use for the landslide terminal transfer? I assume with my DL F class ticket my baggage should be priority tagged and I should be fine with 4 hours. Any concerns or recommendations?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tdgraves

Both BA and Qatar will gave check-in in A-West. If the first goes to the A-East claim, it will be possible, via A-West garage elevators get to A-West check-in.

There should be luggage carts in each claim area. There is a fee to use them.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Flying JFK to PHL with DL in F and connecting on separate ticket to DOH with QR in J. My DL flights arrive at 17:02 and in the DL app it shows a 100% on time performance. My QR flight is scheduled for departure at 20:55. So about 4 hours connection time. I have a lot of luggages, does PHL have luggage cart which I can use for the landslide terminal transfer? I assume with my DL F class ticket my baggage should be priority tagged and I should be fine with 4 hours. Any concerns or recommendations?
If all is ontime, you should be fine. That said, NYC to PHL via ground transportation would be quicker, cheaper and much more reliable. JFK and PHL both frequently have ATC issues and short RJ flights like JFK-PHL are the first to get culled.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Tdgraves

If your inbound is an AA narrowbody, there is generally no way of knowing whether you will arrive in A, B or C.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The departures are at ground level, with steps up to the jets. The Admiral's Club is on the second level, at the central hub/food court. There are elevators and escalators to take you to the Club.
Thanks. Love those elevators/escalators with a (hopefully temporary) gimpy knee. Stairs are the worst. I can handle 7 or 8 steps to get on/off the plane.

Looks like there are some food options at F too so I can grab something for the flight.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thanks. Love those elevators/escalators with a (hopefully temporary) gimpy knee. Stairs are the worst. I can handle 7 or 8 steps to get on/off the plane.

Looks like there are some food options at F too so I can grab something for the flight.
FWIW, every E145 flight I have taken has used a jetway...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Two sit down options in terminal F. Local Tavern is very good. Havent tried the other sit down option. And plenty of good choices among the other places in the general food court.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.