Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA in PHL

Link to downloadable PDF PHL airport map

Philadelphia International Airport

This is a snapshot of post 1 of this thread, and has been revised over time. Feel free to add/modify what is here as needed. This thread originated in the legacy US Airways Dividend Miles forum. Link to older archived posts.

General Information
The airport is located at:
8000 Essington Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19153

Note: The baggage claim for terminal F has relocated to its own building on the arrivals roadway.

Passenger Information Guide: https://www.phl.org/Documents/Passen.../InfoGuide.pdf

Main airport website: http://www.phl.org

Link to contact phone numbers and email addresses for paging, parking, airport police, etc.

Check-In Times
Last confirmed 26 June 2017 (Click for link to source)

The following are recommended by AA:
  • For flights within the United States: 45 minutes before scheduled departure
  • For all other flights: At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure

Terminals
At PHL, AA operates from five terminals:
  • A-West for Gates A14 to A26
  • A-East for Gates A2 to A13
  • B for Gates B1 to B16
  • C for Gates C16 to C30
  • F for Gates F1 to F39
It is a good idea to verify which gate your flight is operating from before arriving. Generally you can assume the following:
  • Most flights in A-West and A-East are transatlantic (TATL) but there will be mainline domestic arrivals/departures and Republic regional flights, especially throughout the morning and early afternoon. If your flight is on an A330 or B767, it will almost certainly be at these gates.
  • B and C are mainline domestic, Caribbean, and Canadian flights and also include E-170/E175 and E190 flights. Before the merger, international flights served by B757s would depart from either concourse.
  • F is for regional flights (RJs with 50 seats or fewer as well as CRJ-700 and -900s and turboprops operate out of F) both domestic and Canadian.
  • oneworld partners (British Airways and Qatar) check-in and gates are in A-West.
  • AerLingus check-in and gate is in A-East.
  • Alaska Airlines (and Virgin America) use terminal D.

Ticket Counter Locations, Hours, and Kiosks
Last confirmed 15 January 2018 (Click for link to source)

Ticket Counters are staffed daily:
  • Terminal A-West: 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM
  • Terminal A-East: 3:30 AM - 8:30 PM
  • Terminals B and C: 3:30 AM - 9:00 PM
  • Terminal F: 4:00 AM - 10:30 PM
Kiosks are provided in the connector bridges between the parking garages and TSA Checkpoints at A-East, B, C, and F. There are also kiosks available by most AA gates. Mobile boarding passes for AA are accepted at all checkpoints.

Note: It is possible to use any AA ticket counter to check in and drop baggage, regardless of your flight's departure terminal.

Security at PHL
Last confirmed 7 October 2017 (Click for link to source)

TSA staffs checkpoints at all PHL terminals. All gates are connected airside, so it may be faster to use a checkpoint that is not associated with your gates.

PreCheck is only available at Terminal A-East, C, and D/E checkpoints.
  • Terminal A West: 5:15 am - 9:25 pm
  • Terminal A East: 3:30 am - 8:25 pm (PreCheck 3:30 am - 8:00 pm)
  • Terminal B: Open 24 hours
  • Terminal C: 4:15 am - 8:15 pm PreCheck ONLY
  • Terminal D/E: 3:45 am - 9:25 pm (PreCheck 3:45 am - 8:00 pm)
  • Terminal F: 4:15 am - 8:55 pm
Notes: International Arrivals following the connecting flights path will be directed to the A-East Checkpoint. If you have PreCheck, you may need to exit that queue and proceed to the far left, as you face the checkpoint, for TSA PreCheck access. Generally, if a checkpoint does not have full PreCheck available, you will get PreCheck Light, meaning you will have to remove liquids and laptops from your bag but will be able to pass through the metal detectors with shoes on as in a PreCheck checkpoint.

In the evening and overnight (observed after 11 PM), not all exits may be available. Looks for the visual paging displays (located by most Flight Info Displays and throughout the terminals) for exit closing announcements! Exit B is always open.

How to Change Terminals
Shuttle: AA offers the following shuttle routes:
  • Gate A1 (located between Terminal A-East and Terminal B) to Gate F10
  • Gate C16 (located between Terminal C and Terminal D) to Gate F10
  • Gate F10 (located in the Terminal F Food Hub) to Gate A1
  • Gate F10 (located in the Terminal F Food Hub) to Gate C16
Note: The shuttles at A1 and C16 only serve Terminal F. It is not necessary to reclear TSA when using shuttles.

Walking
  • Airside: It is possible to walk between all gates in all terminals. There are some moving walkways. "Normal" able-bodied adults can walk between almost any two gates in A, B, or C in about 15 minutes or less and between any two gates in F in about 5 minutes. Walking from F to A/B/C is longer; the distance from the furthest reaches of A-West to F is more than a mile.
  • Landside: You must leave the parking garages/ticketing halls to move between terminals before security. An option is to use the SEPTA rail platforms to move between terminals, which are accessible on the walkways to each terminal from the garages, about half-way between TSA and baggage claim.
  • Landside: It is also possible to use the Economy Parking Shuttle between terminals

ATMs
Bank of America provides 17 ATMs at the airport. A current list may be found here.

Prepaid SIM cards
You can buy prepaid SIM cards in the Airport Wireless stores. Those are airside. Not sure what is available landside as the only "retail" store is a newsstand in the International Arrivals hall.

Parking at PHL
On-site parking is managed by the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA).
Link to current rates.
Estimated parking availability in the garages is available from the Airport's homepage, www.phl.org.

NEW in June 2017: AAdvantage Aviator Cardholders (Barclay's) now have access to reserved parking. See this link for more info.

For off-airport parking lot information,
see this thread...

Where to eat and drink in the airport
There are all manner of restaurants in PHL, from wine bar to bistro to Asian to fast food. In addition to the establishments in each terminal, there is a food court between terminals B and C.

Food options vary throughout the airport, but there is a wide selection. Many open as early as 5:00 am, most are closed by 11:00pm. Due to renovations, there is no longer a 24/7 restaurant behind security. Philadelphia's beverage tax must be collected in city limits, which comprises of everything except Terminal A-West. Pepsi appears to be the preferred soda vendor throughout most of the airport, including Chick-Fil-A and Smashburger in the B/C food court. Coke products are still sold in some parts of the airport, but it may take some searching.

See this link for the current directory.

Terminal B was renovated in 2017-2018 to add iPads to most seats in the gate areas to allow ordering at the gate. A similar arrangement is used in some portions of Terminal F. (link to FT thread)

Admirals Clubs and Other Lounges
Last confirmed 15 January 2018 (Click for link to source)

Admirals Club: Terminal A-East, Lower Level, between gates A4 and A6A.
Open Daily 6:30 am - 10:30 pm

Admirals Club: Terminal A-West, Mezzanine Level, between gates A15 and A16.
Currently closed for renovation. Expected to be rebranded as a Flagship Lounge

Admirals Club: Terminals B and C, Third Floor over Food Court
Open Daily 4:30 am - 10:30 pm

Admirals Club: Terminal F, Upper Level Food Court in the Central Hub
Open Daily 6:30 am - 8:30 pm

British Airways Galleries Club Lounge / First Lounge:Terminal A-West, Gate Level by A14.
Open Daily 3:15 pm to 8:20 pm
Also serves Qatar Airways customers daily from 6:30 am to 10:30 am.
Note: This lounge has been known to disallow non BA passengers, regardless of OW entry rules.

American Express Centurion Lounge: Terminal A-West, Second Level by A14 (Over the BA Club).
Open daily 5:00 am to 9:00 pm.
This is currently the only premium lounge at PHL with a shower facility. Shower is back in operation as of 25 May 2018.

The USO lounge is now (late April 2018) located in Terminal E. Showers are said to be available in this lounge as well.

Minute Suites is available airside in the A-East/B connector, and is a Priority Pass lounge. There are no showers.
First 30 minutes free for use by nursing mothers.
Open daily 24 hours.

Wireless in PHL
Airport Wifi was recently upgraded and is free for all passengers.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
Only in designated smoking areas on the pick up roadways outside baggage claim. There is no smoking airside at the airport.

Do I have time to go into Philadelphia?
If your layover is more than three hours (and I’m sure this is debatable), you may have time for a quick trip into the city.

Ground Transportation and How to Visit Philadelphia
The zones mentioned below refer to areas on either side of the baggage claims for each terminal. If you have hired a private car, or meeting with group transportation, it is common they will be waiting at the bottom of the escalators from your terminal. Zones 1-4 are typically on the Arrivals Roadway, Zones 5 through 8 are on the Commercial Roadway, adjacent to the railroad tracks.

It is against airport rules for any driver to solicit you from inside the terminal, but this is difficult to enforce.
  • Rental Cars: Both On- and Off-Airport agencies use company shuttle busses to their respective lots. Pickup is outside baggage claim, Zone 2.
  • SEPTA Regional Rail's Airport Line travels between each of the PHL terminals, Penn Medicine (formerly University City) and three Center City stops. This train runs every half-hour (currently every hour on weekends due to pandemic related service reductions) and takes about 20 minutes to get to 30th Street Station. Train fare is $6.50 from Quick Trip machines at the airport stations or Ticket offices at Center City stations (cash or credit/debit card) or $8 cash only (change is available) on board to Center City. Fare is $8.50 from machines or ticket offices or $9 cash on board to all other Regional Rail stations. If you are traveling to one of the three Center City stops, be sure to hold on to your ticket as you now need it to exit through the kiosks at those stations.
  • SEPTA Bus: Two city buses also serve the airport ($2.25 cash fare; exact change only). Bus berths are at Zone 1.
  • Center City Taxi: Accessed at Zone 5. A base flat-rate $28.50 + up to $3 in passenger charges (based on number of passengers 12+) is in effect for all fares to and from the airport and the Center City area. This area encompasses: Fairmount Ave (North), South Street (South) Delaware River (East) and University City/ 38th Street (West).All cabs are supposed to accept Credit Cards, verify with your driver at the start of the trip.
  • Metered Taxi: Metered rates are in effect for all destinations not in the Center City zone. Tolls and other surcharges may apply. All cabs are supposed to accept Credit Cards, verify with your driver at the start of the trip.
  • Uber and Lyft both operate at the airport, follow their directions provided to request a ride.
Print Wikipost

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.

Old May 14, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by smcalist83
I would like to use PreCheck and it sounds as though my best option for that is Terminal C. So could I check in and clear security in Terminal C and then walk to A West?
Yes.

Would my checked bag still get to A West somehow?
Yes.

Would another option be to check in at A West and then walk to C to clear security there?
Yes.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
That’s interesting re: BA closing time. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, they were shutting down when the BA flight commenced boarding. I want to say QR had a flight that evening as well. Perhaps it’s variable depending on the flight schedule.

With the CL, there is that 3-hour pre departure rule in place, but if it stays open until 9:30, do the BA lounge then CL versus going to B/C as noted by JJeffrey.
having done those recently, and doing them again in 2 weeks agree that BA>CL>AC, especially if you get to the BA lounge at opening time. Reminder you can sneak around the back once you get directed to the BA J (right) side and harvest the slight better offerings on the F side. Staffing is pretty light so nobody was checking.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
That’s interesting re: BA closing time. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, they were shutting down when the BA flight commenced boarding. I want to say QR had a flight that evening as well. Perhaps it’s variable depending on the flight schedule.

With the CL, there is that 3-hour pre departure rule in place, but if it stays open until 9:30, do the BA lounge then CL versus going to B/C as noted by JJeffrey.
Can confirm that BA lounge was open until 8pm with QR flight leaving at 9:30. In CL, 3-hour rule does not apply to connecting passengers. During my 12 hour layover, started in F admirals club, then B/C, then CL, then BA. Agree BA>CL>AC, with better food in CL. Hopefully Flagship opens sometime this decade.

Still no PreCheck in A, very annoying after claiming luggage and clearing customs from international flight. Had to walk down to C terminal.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Came into PHL last night around 9:40 at the bottom of C gate. Had to walk all the way to B in order to exit the building. Not the first time that’s happened as C security must close early.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by IzzyL
Came into PHL last night around 9:40 at the bottom of C gate. Had to walk all the way to B in order to exit the building. Not the first time that’s happened as C security must close early.
IME, this is common with AA late arrivals into PHL.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by IzzyL
Even worse is when you land all the way out in A-West when they have already closed A security. Which seems to happen to me a lot, and that is a long walk.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Great news for PHL … Minute Suites has re-opened. The remodel includes a SHOWER!!

https://twitter.com/minutesuites?s=2...8QdYktYXOsJ8Sw

So we now have one shower at the Centurion Lounge and one at Minute Suites.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Even worse is when you land all the way out in A-West when they have already closed A security. Which seems to happen to me a lot, and that is a long walk.
this is reason I often park in D lot... pain to get to c when u land somewhat late
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Great news for PHL … Minute Suites has re-opened. The remodel includes a SHOWER!!

https://twitter.com/minutesuites?s=2...8QdYktYXOsJ8Sw

So we now have one shower at the Centurion Lounge and one at Minute Suites.
I was using Minute Suites a couple weeks ago here and the shower does cost extra. Not sure what other refurbishments were there as I haven't been there in several years and it appeared to be the same vinyl-covered daybed and a separate desk area.

Hopefully the FL has showers. Speaking of which, any update on when they plan to open it?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I was using Minute Suites a couple weeks ago here and the shower does cost extra. Not sure what other refurbishments were there as I haven't been there in several years and it appeared to be the same vinyl-covered daybed and a separate desk area.

Hopefully the FL has showers. Speaking of which, any update on when they plan to open it?
re the FL opening I asked at the PHL Admirals club a week or so ago and the agent said at least 18 months - she said they need to renew permits as no work has been done since Covid began. Not very optimistic!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:03 pm

Precheck at Terminal A

I haven't flown out of Terminal A in a couple months, so just wanted to confirm - is it still the case that there's no dedicated Precheck line at A-East? I know the airport's website has indicated no Precheck there for a while, but I got lucky with the dedicated A-East Precheck line being open once in the spring, so I've been hopeful we'll move back toward having it again.....
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by mgerber8
I haven't flown out of Terminal A in a couple months, so just wanted to confirm - is it still the case that there's no dedicated Precheck line at A-East? I know the airport's website has indicated no Precheck there for a while, but I got lucky with the dedicated A-East Precheck line being open once in the spring, so I've been hopeful we'll move back toward having it again.....
That's right as-of last week at least -- they provide "Precheck lite", in that people with Precheck can leave their shoes on, but it's one line for everyone and everyone has to take electronics out of their carry-on bags.

Perhaps they figure most of the people going through security there are connecting from an international flight, and thus a smaller percentage of those people have Precheck, but it also feels extra-annoying to not have it there when you've just come off an 8-hour transatlantic flight.
mgerber8 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:12 am

I always enter at A, despite there being no dedicated pre-check. There's almost never a line, period. And since they still acknowledge your pre-check status with a card so you don't have to take off shoes and jackets and go through a normal detector, security is a breeze also. I might be biased because I usually head to the Centurion Lounge first and often fly in/out of B or A since they are the American-dominated terminals, but there is almost never a reason for me to go to the dedicated pre-check entries at C or D/E.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:32 pm

I feel like I may have asked this before but the TSA app says there’s precheck at “Terminal A, West 7 Checkpoint.” Is that referring to the general A West security, and is there actually precheck there? (I also wonder if 7 is meant to be 17, since on the map, one of the security lines looks to be right near gate 17.) That said, I do the opposite of the above post - even though I usually visit the CL, I always go in through the precheck only line that leads to C. The only times I’ve ever encountered a wait there are when disgruntled passengers without precheck argue with the TSA to try to get through when they’re told to go over to the terminal B side…
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:03 am

Is there any dining pre-security?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.