Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
How does your mpm+25% align with the routing? That will limit you, not a nonexistent "backtracking" rule.
I'm not sure how to find that out, but I do know Austinrunner has posted several times that this routing is possible, but the SFO-JFK-HKG ... is not.

Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lidated-2.html

Last edited by aa213bb; Sep 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm Reason: to add link to other thread
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I currently have two award itineraries booked; one is LAX-JFK//JFK-HKG-BKK, the other is LAX-SFO//SFO-BKK-HKG.
For the benefit of those that subscribe, I've merged this question into the relevant thread for this topic.

~Moderator
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:25 pm

Just looked on EF, and the MPM for LAX-BKK on CX is 9907; now, does AA allow MPM+25%? If so, that gives me an effective MPM of 12383' and using Great Circle Mapper I see that my desired routing is 11596.

I'm going to call back.

Edit: called back, spoke with, I believe, Sean for all of 5 minutes before he said, "Done. You should be getting your updated itinerary emailed later tonight". EF is now showing Z0, as well as 2 seats (the ones I requested) blocked off. Fingers crossed ...

Last edited by aa213bb; Sep 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

It's not "done" until you've been ticketed. Getting the telephone agent to set it up is (unfortunately) just the first step. Yes, you are allowed 125 percent of maximum permitted mileage.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
It's not "done" until you've been ticketed. Getting the telephone agent to set it up is (unfortunately) just the first step. Yes, you are allowed 125 percent of maximum permitted mileage.
Yes, I know. For the life of me I cannot figure out what the issue would be, though.

Looking at it, I'm under the 125% of CX's published LAX-BKK MPM, does AA have any sort of "must take most efficient route" mandate of which I'm unaware?

One Mile at a Time indicates everything I'm doing/requesting is fairly standard (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...-they-allowed/)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Looking at it, I'm under the 125% of CX's published LAX-BKK MPM, does AA have any sort of "must take most efficient route" mandate of which I'm unaware?
Nope.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:45 pm

Nope.
Update: spoke with another AAgent, and then a supervisor today, and was emphatically told by said Supervisor that "backtracking" is not allowed -- this somewhat conforms to what Jon has posted over at Traveling Better about the Most Direct Routing being necessary (http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...6&postcount=63).

I was very polite and patient, and asked about fare bases, MPM, and in general said that I wanted to know more about the AA program so that I can be a better informed consumer -- e.g. the AAgent had said something about my change in travel taking me through an extra zone, which may be true as far as Sabre/AAcorn/Back End is concerned, but is not at all reflected in the One World & Other Airline Award Chart posted on the AA site here (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp).

I did not bring up that many AAgents, though well-intentioned, do not seem to be very familiar with their own policies -- much less that several times I've received wildly divergent answers to the same question.

Despite my best efforts at being warm and polite, none of these questions/comments seemed to go over too well (note: I went to great lengths to ensure I did not come across as a "know-it-all", DYKWIA, or someone who was trying to do the Supervisor's job).

As feared, he did let slip that, "I see you spoke with XXX, who indicated he had answered your questions" (XXX being the first supervisor with whom I spoke, and who was absolutely unpleasant to deal with), which all but indicated to me that - regardless of flexibility, rules, etc - I have little chance of successfully changing my award.

Fine. I can accept that.

What I found most interesting from my conversation, though, is that this Supervisor was adamant that he had never heard of MPM+25%, and that this simply is not done. And at that point in the conversation, I can tell his feathers got a little ruffled, as he started asking me if I am a TA, work for another airline, etc. Looking back over it, perhaps I could have been even more diplomatic, though off the top of my head I'm not sure how.

So, I've been left scratching my head, and at this point, my curiosity has been more than piqued. And while I would still love to change my award to the one posted above (not in this post, but several above it), I'm even more curious as to why the information I'm receiving from the AA side seems to differ greatly from many prior, posted accounts of AAward travel.

Last edited by aa213bb; Sep 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Nope.
Update: spoke with another AAgent, and then a supervisor today, and was emphatically told by said Supervisor that "backtracking" is not allowed -- this somewhat conforms to what Jon has posted over at Traveling Better about the Most Direct Routing being necessary (http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...6&postcount=63).

I was very polite and patient, and asked about fare bases, MPM, and in general said that I wanted to know more about the AA program so that I can be a better informed consumer -- e.g. the AAgent had said something about my change in travel taking me through an extra zone, which may be true as far as Sabre/AAcorn/Back End is concerned, but is not at all reflected in the One World & Other Airline Award Chart posted on the AA site here (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp).

I did not bring up that many AAgents, though well-intentioned, do not seem to be very familiar with their own policies -- much less that several times I've received wildly divergent answers to the same question.

Despite my best efforts at being warm and polite, none of these questions/comments seemed to go over too well (note: I went to great lengths to ensure I did not come across as a "know-it-all", DYKWIA, or someone who was trying to do the Supervisor's job).

As feared, he did let slip that, "I see you spoke with XXX, who indicated he had answered your questions" (XXX being the first supervisor with whom I spoke, and who was absolutely unpleasant to deal with), which all but indicated to me that - regardless of flexibility, rules, etc - I have little chance of successfully changing my award.

Fine. I can accept that.

What I found most interesting from my conversation, though, is that this Supervisor was adamant that he had never heard of MPM+25%, and that this simply is not done. And at that point in the conversation, I can tell his feathers got a little ruffled, as he started asking my if I am a TA, work for another airline, etc. Looking back over it, perhaps I could have been even more diplomatic, though off the top of my head I'm not sure how.

So, I've been left scratching my head, and at this point, my curiosity has been more than piqued. And while I would still love to change my award to the one posted above (not in this post, but several above it), I'm even more curious as to why the information I'm receiving from the AA side seems to differ greatly from many prior, posted accounts of AAward travel.
The TB post you linked contains the following language:

"AP awards are governed by the governing carrier’s routing and mileage rules.

Maximum Permitted Mileage (MPM) (back to top)

When another airline is the governing carrier, AA must follow their routing rules and their MPM. Sabre/AACoRN will allow the routing to include up to 25% over the listed MPM without breaking the award. Sabre/AACoRN have the capability to determine the Maximum Permitted Mileage in addition to calculating if the extra 25% mileage allowance is applicable for an itinerary."

It sounds like that language supports the MPM + 25% rule when a partner carrier is the over-water carrier. Perhaps you can find out the file identifier that would enable an agent to pull up that language should you decide to try again.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
It sounds like that language supports the MPM + 25% rule when a partner carrier is the over-water carrier. Perhaps you can find out the file identifier that would enable an agent to pull up that language should you decide to try again.
As I am still very much a neophyte learning my way about, would you mind being more specific -- what is a "File Identifier"?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by guv1976
As I am still very much a neophyte learning my way about, would you mind being more specific -- what is a "File Identifier"?
The language that was quoted exists somewhere in AA's computer system where agents should be able to read it. The "file identifier" is just my generic term for whatever it is that an agent needs to pull up and read that language.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The explanation is that one cannot "backtrack", even when using a NA Gateway. The Supervisor, despite my stating this is a valid CX itinerary, continued to maintain that an additional 32.5k miles are needed for this. He said that, despite the chart online only stating that 67.5k are needed (and that one must fly transpac); he also was very vehement in proclaiming that this routing is invalid, as it violates the MPM.

Am I wrong here? Is he?
For a "J" ticket, no, and the evidence you can get from pricing a LAX-JFK-HKG-BKK revenue "JS" fare-basis ticket, which prices as follows:
LAX AA X/NYC CX X/HKG CX BKK Q4.25 20M8842.80JS NUC8847.05
END ROE1.00 XFLAX4.5JFK4.5

However, I-class "discounted" fares have a published routing 188 that state
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
1. LAX-HKG-KA/CX-BKK
;
your routing would violate this route.

I have no idea what AAdvantage uses when there are multiple routings available for the same cabin on the same O&D.

Incidentally, all first class fares (F and A inventory) are under the MPM system.

In any case, the "no backtracking" or "most efficient" explanation, as Austinrunner points out, makes no sense.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
For a "J" ticket, no, and the evidence you can get from pricing a LAX-JFK-HKG-BKK revenue "JS" fare-basis ticket, which prices as follows:
LAX AA X/NYC CX X/HKG CX BKK Q4.25 20M8842.80JS NUC8847.05
END ROE1.00 XFLAX4.5JFK4.5

However, I-class "discounted" fares have a published routing 188 that state
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
1. LAX-HKG-KA/CX-BKK
;
your routing would violate this route.

I have no idea what AAdvantage uses when there are multiple routings available for the same cabin on the same O&D.

Incidentally, all first class fares (F and A inventory) are under the MPM system.

In any case, the "no backtracking" or "most efficient" explanation, as Austinrunner points out, makes no sense.
Thank you. This is a First Class award.

My head is spinning; seems I should be able to do this, but they (at least 2 AA Supervisors) are adamant that adding a JFK stopover necessitates an additional 32.5k mile award.

???
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is there someplace on aa.com that lists all these rules?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is there someplace on aa.com that lists all these rules?
No, this information was all provided by JonNYC from internal documents.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
No, this information was all provided by JonNYC from internal documents.
Yup. And I'm betting my mentioning of them did not help my case.

Have not tried again -- yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.