Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
LHR-JFK AA107 this past Monday, GA went into the big explanation about the new process, called CK - then between CK and Group 1 called any families traveling with children under 5.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:08 am

Flew out of DFW Thursday. GA made a nice announcement about the change. They then proceeded to board groups in order. I was Group 3. The lady standing next to me near the priority board was Group 4. I saw her boarding pass. She proceeded to board with Group 1. Neither the scanner or the GA stopped her. #systemfail

Yes, I waited for Group 3 and boarded then. I'm a rules follower.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Flew out of DFW Thursday. GA made a nice announcement about the change. They then proceeded to board groups in order. I was Group 3. The lady standing next to me near the priority board was Group 4. I saw her boarding pass. She proceeded to board with Group 1. Neither the scanner or the GA stopped her. #systemfail
One wonders why the scanners aren't programmed to reject groups that are not yet called. It think some GAs are afraid to confront a passenger who is boarding early; having the scanner reject their boarding would make it easier for them since it would be out of their hands and they could blame the computer.

And for families/groups traveling on the same PNR where there are people of different status levels, they could/should simply give the group number for the person with highest status.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:08 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Southwest, which I am fling a lot recently, seems to do it well with the masses lining up by group and number
Since I have not yet got the hang of checking in at T-24 reliably, I am always at C-30 or so and am amazed by the fast boarding AND by the fact that I can usually get a seat up front (although in the middle) boarding at the tail end of the mob.

Originally Posted by jcatman
Anyone who has repeatedly visited Honolulu and experienced how residents drive on the H1 Freeway would understand and approve of your yelling episode.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hbtr
And for families/groups traveling on the same PNR where there are people of different status levels, they could/should simply give the group number for the person with highest status.
But they don't.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
With 9 flights done with the new boarding priority, my general impression is that it's working better than the previous system. Of course there is always someone trying to bypass those in front, but I've seen/heard diplomatic GAs say "Madam/Sir, you are in group 6, we're boarding group 2 now, can you please step aside and wait for your turn".
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hbtr
One wonders why the scanners aren't programmed to reject groups that are not yet called. It think some GAs are afraid to confront a passenger who is boarding early; having the scanner reject their boarding would make it easier for them since it would be out of their hands and they could blame the computer.

I think the reason the system isn't programmed to reject early boarders is to give the GAs flexibility in allowing families/groups with different group numbers the ability to board at the same time. Imagine mom is an EXP, while dad and toddler have no status and are on a separate PNR. You can bet that mom is going to want dad and toddler to board with her, and that's a reasonable request, so the system needs to allow some leeway.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I think the reason the system isn't programmed to reject early boarders is to give the GAs flexibility in allowing families/groups with different group numbers the ability to board at the same time. Imagine mom is an EXP, while dad and toddler have no status and are on a separate PNR. You can bet that mom is going to want dad and toddler to board with her, and that's a reasonable request, so the system needs to allow some leeway.
I certainly agree that the computer shouldn't overrule the GA's discretion and completely refuse to allow someone to board out of order.

The scanner could easily give a different, slightly-annoying-sounding beep for someone boarding out of order. Maybe require the GA to enter a keystroke to acknowledge that this person is OK to board out of order for whatever reason or maybe just do nothing differently except for the audio notification.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I certainly agree that the computer shouldn't overrule the GA's discretion and completely refuse to allow someone to board out of order.

The scanner could easily give a different, slightly-annoying-sounding beep for someone boarding out of order. Maybe require the GA to enter a keystroke to acknowledge that this person is OK to board out of order for whatever reason or maybe just do nothing differently except for the audio notification.
It would be great if AA did this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by onobond
With 9 flights done with the new boarding priority, my general impression is that it's working better than the previous system. Of course there is always someone trying to bypass those in front, but I've seen/heard diplomatic GAs say "Madam/Sir, you are in group 6, we're boarding group 2 now, can you please step aside and wait for your turn".
This will always happen. I fly WN second to AA, and same thing -- Group C or B try to board with Group A. Either intentional or out of ignorance. Bottom line. The GA is in control of this to either ignore or deny boarding.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by davesam12
This will always happen. I fly WN second to AA, and same thing -- Group C or B try to board with Group A. Either intentional or out of ignorance. Bottom line. The GA is in control of this to either ignore or deny boarding.
And, on WN, other passengers assist in enforcing boarding order. A majority of the time, the enforcement starts with, "which number are you?" so passengers can get into the correct order.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Boarded CUN-DFW and have to say I'm impressed with the GA enforcing boarding groups. 4 people, 2 pairs tried to board as group 1 while being group 4 or something, quickly got shut down.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
On Friday 3/24 at ORD, boarding AA300 to LAS. I am in business with group 1 printed on. They call group 1 and I head toward the priority lane. Overhear two group 2 Exec Plats talking about how they hate the new system and they shouldn't be in group 2 and line up behind me and ahead of others in Group 1 (giving them the benefit of the doubt that they don't know that they are still boarding directly behind business, but I digress). GA does not enforce the boarding and lets them on.

Saw something similar on the return. AA boarded early, so arriving to the gate at T-36, despite being group 1, they were boarding group 3 already and people in front of me in line were group 4. GA let them on rather than enforcing the rules.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I think the reason the system isn't programmed to reject early boarders is to give the GAs flexibility in allowing families/groups with different group numbers the ability to board at the same time.
I hope that this is the case. My non-status partner and I prefer the exit row; he at the window, me on the aisle. I'm in Group 2, he in 4; it makes little sense for me to board first so that he could climb over me.

Thus far no GA has objected, and I'll note that at the stations that I've seen, "Priority" is Groups 1-4, so it's a bit of a mixed salad in any event.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
No First Class Boarding Group?

I was looking at a chart of boarding groups and I'm going to be on a flight on AA with no First Class. I'm sitting in a preferred seat and I'm Gold. What would my boarding group be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.