Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Here are a few more screenshots of an EXP BP (not in F (yet ) this time)
Attached Images  
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mobile:
Attached Images  
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dkc192
OK, seems like mobile/Internet BPs are displaying class of travel (F or J if applicable), and status if not. Agent-printed BPs are displaying class of travel (FIRST or BUSINESS) but not status. All BPs have PRIORITY on them in some form.
Are you saying the agent-printed BPs (on card stock) no longer have the passenger elite status printed as a watermark at an angle in the middle of the BP?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
Are you saying the agent-printed BPs (on card stock) no longer have the passenger elite status printed as a watermark at an angle in the middle of the BP?
Looks like it. Here is my F Agent printed BP (I am also EXP)
Attached Images  
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Will be curious to see how they handle a wheelchair designation on the ticket. Will they still put me in the appropriate group and just have the gate agent preboard like pre-3/1 or will the wheelchair designation bump me up? First post-3/1 flight in a few weeks. Will let everyone know.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
Looks like it. Here is my F Agent printed BP (I am also EXP)
Thanks. But unlike the assertion made by dkc192, the elite status is still shown on the BP as shown in the upper right corner next to the FF#.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. But unlike the assertion made by dkc192, the elite status is still shown on the BP as shown in the upper right corner next to the FF#.
Right, my bad. I meant to say that for EXP, PLT, OWE, and OWS in coach, it no longer prints EXECPLAT or PLATINUM, etc. where it shows group number now.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:20 pm

I believe whether or not agent-printed BPs have the watermark is dependent on airport and even agent location. Looks like the shot of the BP ex-HNL above doesn't have the watermark, but my BPs ex-BOS a couple weeks ago definitely had them. Most, if not all, international outports don't have the ability to print them. It may also vary by agent location within an airport. At JFK, for example, BPs printed at the ticket counter have them, but one BP I got at the gate as a result of an upgrade did not have it.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Right, my bad. I meant to say that for EXP, PLT, OWE, and OWS in coach, it no longer prints EXECPLAT or PLATINUM, etc. where it shows group number now.
Even for First Class, I don't believe it ever printed the AA FF status where the Group # is now. I believe it has always only been the OW status.

I have an agent-printed BP from a DFW counter at the end of February. Under the caption FIRST (which is where the Group # is on the BP example of Antarius) is my seat assignment and below that is the OW status. The only difference in the two examples of pre-March 1 and post-March 1 is the substitution of GROUP 1 for FIRST and the absence of the AA FF status displayed as a watermark.

UPDATE: One more difference. The post-March 1 BP in First shows PRIORITY FIRST at the bottom of the BP, while the pre-March 1 BP shows PRIORITY AACCESS.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a flight tomorrow MAF-DFW-IAH. I will get the agent printed BP at MAF as well as DFW and post them as additional data points. So far am in Y on MAF - DFW and F on DFW- IAH
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:49 am

Even for First Class, I don't believe it ever printed the AA FF status where the Group # is now. I believe it has always only been the OW status.
No, it doesn't, because class of service trumps status. Prior to 3/1, anyone in F would have FIRST where it would say GROUP 1 now. Likewise, as I said in my previous post, EXP in coach would have EXECPLAT where it would say GROUP 2 now. And so on.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
On my flight on 3/3 at DFW I did not see any information showing on the flight display monitor as to what boarding group was active. Yesterday, the monitor would show which boarding group was boarding, but the agent wasn't always quick with advancing it after the announcements of each group.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Monitor usage has been variable and not always well synced when it is used, but so far all my GA announcement have been excellent (save for BOS) under the new system. Today at SNA, they made a second call for Group 2 when only one person stepped up.

The new system has definitely eliminated the clueless randoms just boarding because they see people moving forward. It has significantly improved the value of the early boarding benefit for this Plat/Group 3.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
After coming back from Asia, I was at the gate waiting for DFW-MCO. The lice were congregating, and I was sitting off to the side, wondering if they'd actually call CK (mostly miss so far). To my surprise, I was called by name to pre-board! I stepped on the plane, saying hi to the FA at the door. As I was sitting, she radioed to the Gate, "so I guess we've started boarding?," in a quite sarcastic tone, for which another FA apologized to me. It seems she had the departure time mixed up in her head, and had 5 less minutes than she thought.

Of interest, the Cathay Pacific BP I had for the earlier legs didn't even have Emerald on them, which was evident when I tried to go to the CX First Class lounge in HKG. Good thing I had my CK card on me! What a lounge, by the way
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
3/9 HNL-LAX, GA briefly explains that new boarding procedure is by Groups and that everyone should look at their group number before approaching the gate. As soon as the wheelchair pax are lined up in the Elite boarding line, there is a mad rush by everyone to block both Elite and Group 5 boarding lines.

The GA reminds everyone of the new boarding procedures AGAIN and asks everyone to remain seated - no one sits down and holds their stance.

GA calls for CK's to board and a few clueless pax approach the GA with their BPs only to be turned away. I start inching my way towards the mob (I'm in Group 1). Rest of the mob holds their positions and continue to block both boarding lines.

GA calls for Group 1 and several more clueless pax wander over to the GA who AGAIN tells them to remain seated until she calls their group. I am blocked from reaching the Gate so I yell "ARE YOU GROUP 1? If not, can I board?" Only a few pax let myself and a couple of other F flyers into the boarding lane.

The GA examines my BP and welcomes me onboard. I don't know what happened after that.

It's clear that HNL pax have not abandoned their "rush-the-gate" mentality that I've witnessed over the years. The poor AA GA's will have to figure out how to deal with this mob soon in order to get us out ontime (it seemed that we barely got out ontime)

Edit: Yes, I know it seems that I'm the obnoxious one for yelling but trust me, I wouldn't have boarded unless I yelled. And let me throw some other excuses out for my behavior (I was tired from working the morning shift... my dog ate my boarding pass... etc...). I'd prefer it if the GA's got tough and ordered everyone away but that didn't happen.

Last edited by StirredNotShaken; Mar 11, 2017 at 3:02 pm Reason: Pre-emptive apology attempt for yelling at the mob...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.