Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
The boarding process is a joke...
CK is normally respected, however when they say Group 1 only sometimes they check what is actually going inside is a truly group 1, when they say group 2 onward they do not check anything.
I am flying now more and more with AA domestic (DFW-ORD-AUS-PHX-LAX), I am group 2 through BAEC Gold and honestly more than 60% of the times I am the first or second person queuing from group 2 entering the plane and I find 5 or 6 already sitting in Economy not the CK passengers of course...
I can even see people in the queue with group 3 and 4 when they say 2.

As I said, absolute joke!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
This happens to me often RDU-LGA or RDU-JFK on RJs with no domestic first.
I thought I remembered them making EXP Group 1 on all coach RJs, could be wrong.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I thought I remembered them making EXP Group 1 on all coach RJs, could be wrong.
Not IME. PHL/ISP and other E145 routes are always Group 2. They usually call 1-4 together so it doesn't really matter.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Boarding order in fact seems to be rarely honored anymore and it's getting worse. Finally at MIA on Saturday when a bunch of pax rushed the gate for Group 1 the GA told them to step aside. A couple weeks ago in San Diego half the crowd rushed the boarding area when Group 1 was announced. Poor CKs have to wade through throngs of people. Lately (I board with Group 3) when I get onto the a/c nearly half of Y is already filled.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

I was boarding in first class yesterday. of course the boarding area was completely crowded. No path whatsoever to get from the gate agent desk to the boarding lanes as they were about 10 feet away and people milling around and standing. some Bozo was completely blocking access to the priority Lane for anybody who had managed to get around the crowd.

he was standing with luggage all around his feet at the stanchion holder that divides priority from general boarding. Basically camped out half way in between each lane so nobody could get around him with the crowd waiting for their group # to be called. Who knows which group he was in, but it definitely wasn't Group 1. I asked him if I could please get by to board, and he replies with "I've been standing here for 30 minutes." And then he makes this exaggerated loud thing about "oh by all means of course let me get out of your way" three or four times for everyone around him to hear (and embarrass himself).

I just turned around and looked at him and replied "you're completely blocking the lane from people who board before your group" and then when on my way down the jet bridge. Maybe he was just PO'd he didn't get an upgrade, but what a dbag.

I don't understand why people who are not in the group being called can't move out of the way for people who are. they get so bent out of shape when somebody gets around them with earlier boarding.

I'm not a DYKWIA type nor trying to be a dick, but really don't get people who think because they got there first they should be boarded 1st, instead of the group numbers.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Jun 11, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Had a GA at DFW yesterday who was quite emphatic yet entertaining about enforcing the boarding order. Definitely an exception, but was great to hear.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
AAdvantage Platinum Priority Boarding

Flying PHL-RIC tomorrow on American Eagle, single class aircraft. I am lifetime Platinum and my wife has no status, but we are both booked in the same PNR and seated next to each other. Just printed our our boarding passes and I have been put in group 3 and my wife has been put in group 4. Why wouldn't I be in group 1 and why is my wife in a different group? Not earth shattering, but I'm interested in knowing.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Why would you be in group 1?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/boarding-process.jsp
GTITAN and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Plat is group 3. Group 1 is first class. Group 2 is EXP. Group 3 is Plat Pro and Plat. Not sure about your wife's situation.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think its funny to look at the list and see "preferred boarding" as group 5.... they need to call that something else. There is nothing preferred about being 5th.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
That's the (relatively new world of AA boarding.

1. CK (military folks sometimes here to IME)
2. Group 1 (First Class)
3. Group 2 EP/OneWorld Emerald
3. Group 3 PLT/PPRO/OneWorld Sapphire.
4. Group 4 Gld/Oneworld Ruby/Credit Certain Credit Card Holders/Folks that are listed as "Priority"
5. Other Credit Card Holders/Non-elites/Other Priority
6-9 Other type folks

You would fall into Group 3. Your wife gets priroity because of you and falls into Group 4 even if same PNR. My daughter and wife are both PLTs. I am an EP, so we get Group 2 and Group 3 respectively. They board with me. GAs usually don't tell us to wait, but that could be a YMMV on that one.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think its funny to look at the list and see "preferred boarding" as group 5.... they need to call that something else. There is nothing preferred about being 5th.
onanisland and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
I'm PLT and my wife is GLD. We've boarded many flights together, but I always go through the line first with her right behind me. Once once a super-anal GA complained that my wife was Group 4 instead of Group 3 and initially wouldn't let her board even though the GA knew we were related and sitting next to each other, but I got her to change her mind.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Thanks for all the helpful responses. We always travel in first class so are always in group 1. I just presumed that since this is an all economy aircraft that group 1 would be all Platinum and above members. Thanks for the clarifications.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Thanks for all the helpful responses. We always travel in first class so are always in group 1. I just presumed that since this is an all economy aircraft that group 1 would be all Platinum and above members. Thanks for the clarifications.
For an all Y plane then it would be Pre-board/Mil/CK, Group 2 (EXP), then Group 3. Even though there is no first they don't re-order group numbers to shift everyone up and just start with Group 2 after CK and no one has Group 1 since there is no FC cabin.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.