Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Old May 22, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
They didn't know what they were doing.
They knew. They always know. They pretend to be confused. Pretend to be a BP mixup. Pretend to not know English. Pretend another gate agent said they could cut. Pretend, pretend, pretend. And AA allows the pretenders to board early. I share your frustration.
rasheed likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Flight 1717 BWI-CLT yesterday..preboarding done. Group 1 called (I'm group 3). 16 F seats. About 40 people push to the front. I see BP's with group 1, 8, 6. 7, all heading up. Certainly the agent will stop the insanity! Nope. She scanned each on then called group 2 and 3. When my BP was scanned, i saw my seat turn green (8F) and saw that 8D was already scanned before me. Got to my row. 8D, E, F occupied. I sorted out the seat issue..the people in E and F weren't in ROW 8. They were in GROUP 8 and row 29. They didn't know what they were doing. They moved without issue. I am just irritated that AA sets the rules for 9 groups. They have people pay for F, MCE, earn status, have the CC. They set the rules. We play the game. The need to enforce them.
While not likely the case here, BWI boarding can be a bit crazy like this during Group 1. It is a military-heavy station. I never have an issue with those that serve this country boarding first.

My most recent flight had quite a few military members boarding in Group 1 seated throughout the cabin
Old May 22, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by joepercussion1

While not likely the case here, BWI boarding can be a bit crazy like this during Group 1. It is a military-heavy station. I never have an issue with those that serve this country boarding first.

My most recent flight had quite a few military members boarding in Group 1 seated throughout the cabin
I agree. BWI is my home airport...these were not military in this case. My Son in Law is 82nd Airborne. This was a hodgepodge of people charging the jetway. I hear you though.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
They knew. They always know. They pretend to be confused. Pretend to be a BP mixup. Pretend to not know English. Pretend another gate agent said they could cut. Pretend, pretend, pretend. And AA allows the pretenders to board early. I share your frustration.
The two folks in row 8....that belonged in group 8 did pretend to not speak English. After they got up. The woman said to the man. "Row 29 is way back..."
Old May 23, 2019, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Boarding out of order without a doubt has become an issue and it seems worst at hubs. Since I normally board with Group 3 I see countless number of paxs rushing the gate when CK/Group 1 is called and once onboard Y is already more than 25% full. Announcements are rarely made, and yes that won't stop all, but even rarer is enforcement.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've noticed agents calling Groups 2,3,4 together especially on smaller planes recently. I know this is silly but I like Group 2 boarding as part of my EXP benefits and I wish they would wait for Group 2s to board before calling 3 and 4 which are usually much larger groups.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've noticed agents calling Groups 2,3,4 together especially on smaller planes recently. I know this is silly but I like Group 2 boarding as part of my EXP benefits and I wish they would wait for Group 2s to board before calling 3 and 4 which are usually much larger groups.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Does one need to actually buy the ticket with the Executive Citi credit card to get Group 4?

If not, do you just show the card when boarding with 4 even though your BP may show a higher group?
Old May 29, 2019, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Does one need to actually buy the ticket with the Executive Citi credit card to get Group 4?

If not, do you just show the card when boarding with 4 even though your BP may show a higher group?
The AA credit card is attached to your AA account so it doesn't matter what credit card you use, the boarding pass will automatically be assign group 4 boarding.
QtownDave likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I agree. I've complained verbally about this a few times, particularly in CLT.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
EXP Group 2 boarding on monoclass RJ?

Odd one. Just checked in for a YYZ-JFK flight tomorrow. It's a monoclass RJ (no first class), and i'm EXP. Who exactly is in Group 1 then?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:53 pm
E55

Nobody. Probably just easier to have the gate agent call out group 1 than build an exception handling system for situations like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
This happens to me often RDU-LGA or RDU-JFK on RJs with no domestic first.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Technically it is "group 1 and any active military"
pa3lsvt and E55 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Odd one. Just checked in for a YYZ-JFK flight tomorrow. It's a monoclass RJ (no first class), and i'm EXP. Who exactly is in Group 1 then?
When I flew a 1-clas ERJ a few weeks ago, they called, "Active Military," and CK's kind of together with Group 1. There might have been a few people who boarded. Then they moved to Group 2...and there was myself and maybe 2 others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.