Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Let's play "Why is she in Group 4?"

So Mrs. pa3lsvt and I are flying to TPA for a wedding this weekend.

I am PLAT, she is DIRT, I have the AAdvantage Citi Platinum Card.

I booked two sAAver coach (T) fares on an A321 and chose seats 10A for her and 10B for me, which are Exit Row/MCE seats.

I checked in last night and can't figure out how she got assigned Group 4 (I am in my normal Group 3, so this exercise is all theory since she is boarding with my group in practice):

(from the Wiki)
Group 4 - Gold (NO) / Air Pass (NO) / Executive Citi credit card (NO) / Alaska MVP (wouldn't matter now anyway, but NO) / purchased Priority Boarding (NO)

The way I see it, she *should* be in Group 5 since she is in MCE and is the travelling companion for a Citi Platinum cardholder (either one should apply), but doesn't qualify for any of the lower numbered groups and definitely not Group 4.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:14 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I've seen that happen too. The best explanation I've come up with is that my receipt always shows "Priority Boarding - $0.00" as an elite benefit, which also applies to companions on the same PNR. So it counts as "purchased" priority boarding.
pa3lsvt likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by VFR
I've seen that happen too. The best explanation I've come up with is that my receipt always shows "Priority Boarding - $0.00" as an elite benefit, which also applies to companions on the same PNR. So it counts as "purchased" priority boarding.
I suspected that as it was the only thing that could even possibly apply.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Do pax in the same PNR inherit boarding priority? Me, my wife, and her mother are traveling tomorrow in W MIA-MAD on same PNR. I am group 2 (EXP) and they are 4. Is that correct? Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Do pax in the same PNR inherit boarding priority? Me, my wife, and her mother are traveling tomorrow in W MIA-MAD on same PNR. I am group 2 (EXP) and they are 4. Is that correct? Thanks.
yes. And if they do not on the BP (for whatever reason), they can board with you anyways.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
A little quirk: it can take a few days for your status to post to the ticketing system vs. online/loyalty. I qualified for Platinum one week, status updated on aa.com, two days later, still Gold. I asked the agent, showed her my app, and she let me on with group 3.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by astanley
A little quirk: it can take a few days for your status to post to the ticketing system vs. online/loyalty. I qualified for Platinum one week, status updated on aa.com, two days later, still Gold. I asked the agent, showed her my app, and she let me on with group 3.
What you need to do is call AA and have them remove your AAdvantage number and re-add it. Then it takes your status. Similarly if you lose status it still shows the old one from when it was booked for a while.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
yes. And if they do not on the BP (for whatever reason), they can board with you anyways.
Actually, they do not. Mrs. pa3lsvt always gets Group 4 when she is on a PNR with me but I get Group 3 as a Plat.

You are allowed to board together in the lowest boarding group, regardless of being on the PNR together or displaying a higher boarding group, as you have noted.

When we are both in Y (same PNR and separate PNR), the better half boards with my Group 3.

When we fly in separate cabins (and this is always separate PNR), I board with her Group 1.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
You are allowed to board together in the lowest boarding group,
Well, of course. That's very obvious to everyone. With that said, not sure what the written policy is but I've never had an issue with my family being able to board with me even though they lack status.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt

When we fly in separate cabins....
What a dream scenario for some of us...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Personally I usually board as late as possible. It's true that I rarely have a carry-on, but I don't see any urgent reason to spend a minute longer on board than I have to. If I'm in F I'll often board early, but on the other hand, I can get one last free drink in the Amex lounge or one first free drink on the plane, so who cares? If I had a carry-on it would probably be different. I think I'm usually in group 3 or 4; honestly I don't usually look.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Group 2 PHL-JFK ft. 4103 Question

I flew ZRH-PHL-JFK on 7/9/18. For the PHL-JFK on AA Eagle (all Y), I was in Group 2. At the start of boarding they called CK, then Group 1--no one stepped to the "plate", for Group 2 I was the only one. I'm EXP and the ftl. had NO FC, so who would have been in Group 1.
I'm asking this ques. out of curiosity...the plane is so "tiny", boarding order should not really be a concern.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nrr
I flew ZRH-PHL-JFK on 7/9/18. For the PHL-JFK on AA Eagle (all Y), I was in Group 2. At the start of boarding they called CK, then Group 1--no one stepped to the "plate", for Group 2 I was the only one. I'm EXP and the ftl. had NO FC, so who would have been in Group 1.
I'm asking this ques. out of curiosity...the plane is so "tiny", boarding order should not really be a concern.
This happens all the time, the GAs usually just do it out of habit.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This happens all the time, the GAs usually just do it out of habit.
But my bp had me in Group 2, so who would have been assigned (by booking system) to Group 1?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by nrr
But my bp had me in Group 2, so who would have been assigned (by booking system) to Group 1?
Active military.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.