Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Last week, #123 DFW-HNL, 777-200. I think we were at A-23. AAgents explained boarding procedures throughly. There was one CK, who they preboarded by name and two elderly preboards. Gate lice was not bad at all. No overt crowding. Two gentlemen were lined up very early at the front of the Priority 1-4 line. When Group 1 was called, we and other others followed behind them. Agent to both of them, "Gentlemen, you are in Group 2" And sent them back..
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:19 am

paid $29 during OLCI for exit row seat, why did I get boarding group 8?

I just did OLCI from my AA flight(A320) tomorrow. Since I rarely fly AA and have no status, I paid the $29 to select the exit row 11 seat. The flight looked to be about 90% full.

It seems like I'm not having any luck with exit row seats these days.(in case anyone read my post on UA from yesterday)

I hit the "print" button and my boarding pass printed out. I was amused that it said boarding group 8 (Eight). The seat number was the correct exit row seat that I picked. It does say "exit" under the seat number.

Like I said, I rarely fly AA and didn't even know that their boarding group was that high. Turns out I'm wrong. There's also group 9 for basic economy.

I figured that it was their system mistake, so I did a test by changing my seat to the other side of the aisle, but still in the exit row 11. I then printed the boarding pass again. Hmmmm... still boarding group 8. My original ticket was purchased online about a week ago and it's not basic economy(or else I would have gotten group 9, right?)

What am I doing wrong here?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Since I rarely fly AA and have no status
There's your answer
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2017-a.html

You haven't done anything wrong. For someone in coach with no status, not on a basic economy ticket, the assigned groups are 6-8.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2017-a.html

You haven't done anything wrong. For someone in coach with no status, not on a basic economy ticket, the assigned groups are 6-8.
I'm guessing that the non-elite groups that ThreeTangoJuliet identified in that Wiki post are no longer correct, otherwise the OP would be in Group 6.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by deeruck
I'm guessing that the non-elite groups that ThreeTangoJuliet identified in that Wiki post are no longer correct, otherwise the OP would be in Group 6.
That was the previous boarding process, no longer used.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:43 pm

Here's where I get confused. AA's website shows Group 5 as "Preferred Boarding" for people who purchase Main Cabin Extra.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp

I paid $29 for the exit row 11 seat on the A320. The receipt that AA emailed me also shows that I purchased Main Cabin Extra.... so why doesn't my boarding pass put me in boarding group 5?

I guess it'ts another case of airline not following their own printed policy?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:49 pm

Sure but there must be some method by which groups 5 to 8 are assigned
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Yes, everyone in coach randomly chooses straws with the numbers 6 - 8 on them before boarding.

Or, the computer chooses pseudorandom numbers for all coach (ahem, "Main Cabin") flyers and then assigns them groups 6 - 8 based on the numbers.

Or, there is some opaque algorithm that we don't know that AA uses.

In other words - you get what they assign.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:57 pm

Isn't it Group 6 - Window Seats, Group 7 - Middle Seats, and Group 8 - Isle Seats?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
So is it not 6 - OLCI, 7 - Self-CI, 8 - Agent anymore?

I flew a couple of times between 3/1 and hitting Gold. Always did OLCI. Always got Group 6.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:26 pm

To be honest, I'm not really sure - I saw that somewhere a few months ago and assumed that was how they determine boarding groups. Either way, with everyone now being elite/airline credit card holders, 3/4 of the plane is already boarded by the time they hit group 6!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:15 pm

I went up to the gate agent and asked.(about 10 minutes before boarding started)

She looked at my boarding pass and told me to step aside and wait. I figured she was just going to re-print a new boarding pass with the correct boarding group for people like me who purchased Main Cabin Extra seats(including exit row). That would have made too much sense.... right?

No.. instead, I watched her pick up the PA mic and announced boarding was starting... She motioned me over, scanned my original boarding pass with the wrong boarding group(8), the told me to have a good flight... so I ended up being the FIRST PERSON to board the plane!

Now that I think about it, she probably did it that way because it was much easier than having to force the system to re-issue a new boarding pass with the correct boarding group. Who says AAgents aren't nice people? ^
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My girlfriend and I were flying earlier this week. I, Platinum, and her, ADV, were on the same reservation with seats in the exit row. Even though we hadn't purchased her exit row seats, she got Group 4 boarding with "PRIORITY" on the BP.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:48 pm

Question RE: Boarding order

When I purchase AA tickets, I usually use a Citi Executive credit card, which puts me in boarding group 4 (I have no status)
But now I have an upcoming business trip that the company booked for me on their corporate card, so I get no boarding benefits. 2-class cabin.
In a case like this, does it benefit me to check in exactly at T-24 the day before? Is that the difference between 5 and 8 or 9, God forbid?

I do have Admirals Club membership as part of the Citi Executive card, but I don't think that will help me unless I used that card to purchase the ticket. (and in this case, I didn't)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.