Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Welp, I had DUB-DFW-MSP award on AA metal with a nice comfortable 2:50 layover in DFW. The DUB-DFW departure time got pushed back and hour and 40 minutes and I now have an hour and ten minutes to connect in DFW I-D with checked bags. I'm pretty sure this busts the MCT, gonna be fun seeing what they come up with. I'll update after I talk to them.
This will be D-D due to preclearance in DUB. I would personally keep the itinerary as is and take my chances. 1:10 is generally enough time for a D-D connection at DFW and is well within the official MCT. And if things go south, you have EC 261 in your back pocket.

Cheers,
LBBZman
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by lbbzman

This will be D-D due to preclearance in DUB. I would personally keep the itinerary as is and take my chances. 1:10 is generally enough time for a D-D connection at DFW and is well within the official MCT. And if things go south, you have EC 261 in your back pocket.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Thanks for replying! I realized after I posted that pre-clearance would probably make me ok, but I did call anyway. The agent did give me the option to change to DUB-ORD-MSP if I wanted. That would get me home a few hours earlier but it’s a 788 vs a 789 on the TATL sector. So I need to decide if the seat matters that much to me on a daytime flight. Decisions decisions....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
On the day when I am arriving at LAX on AA from PEK, I will connect (separate tickets) to AA6015 LAX-SFO. However, AA6015 was cancelled by AA (no reason given, it seems to have disappeared from schedule when I checked). AA re-booked me on AA6012, resulting in 1.5 hours delay. Normally there would be no problem. But on this particular day, I need to be at a birthday dinner (even the original schedule is a bit tight).

My questions are:
Do you think AA would accommodate me and put me on another airlines?
OR, would AA cancel AA6015 and refund 100% (it is a non-refundable fare) so that I can purchase another ticket of my choice?

I called AA EXP desk, but the wait (even have AA return my call) was more than 1 hour long, due to weather in mid-west & east). Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by allset2travel
On the day when I am arriving at LAX on AA from PEK, I will connect (separate tickets) to AA6015 LAX-SFO. However, AA6015 was cancelled by AA (no reason given, it seems to have disappeared from schedule when I checked). AA re-booked me on AA6012, resulting in 1.5 hours delay. Normally there would be no problem. But on this particular day, I need to be at a birthday dinner (even the original schedule is a bit tight).

My questions are:
Do you think AA would accommodate me and put me on another airlines?
OR, would AA cancel AA6015 and refund 100% (it is a non-refundable fare) so that I can purchase another ticket of my choice?

I called AA EXP desk, but the wait (even have AA return my call) was more than 1 hour long, due to weather in mid-west & east). Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
For an advance schedule change like this AA isn't going to rebook you on another airline. They will let you cancel for a full refund though. It's perfectly fine to tell the agent you're connecting from PEK and any earlier or later AA flights just won't work.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:36 pm

Thank you very much !!!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:49 pm

i'd say there's a decent chance AA would rebook PEK-HKG-SFO or PEK-TYO-SFO with first segment on CX/JL fliight number and second segment on AA codeshare flight number.
or, PEK-CAN-SFO CZ first segment and second segment on AA codeshare flight number.
or, change PEK-LAX-SFO to CAN-SFO on AA codeshare flight number (and making your own way PEK-CAN).
give it a try (or two or three).
feed agent exact flight numbers.
90 minute sched change on a paid ticket is usually sufficient to open all the doors.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
i'd say there's a decent chance AA would rebook PEK-HKG-SFO or PEK-TYO-SFO with first segment on CX/JL fliight number and second segment on AA codeshare flight number.
or, PEK-CAN-SFO CZ first segment and second segment on AA codeshare flight number.
or, change PEK-LAX-SFO to CAN-SFO on AA codeshare flight number (and making your own way PEK-CAN).
give it a try (or two or three).
feed agent exact flight numbers.
90 minute sched change on a paid ticket is usually sufficient to open all the doors.
Good to know. Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:23 pm

I return to post a data point.
I called AA EXP desk. Long wait time, so I press "1" to have them return my call.
They called back. CSR (with very heavy foreign accent) confirmed I will get full refund. He suggested that I do it online for "faster" processing of such. So I did it online. First, I had to CANCEL the ticket. Then went to "receipts and refund" found on the bottom of my booking page. Have to enter e-tic # and Last Name for each pax, one at a time. Under "options", I checked Involuntary cancellation or schedule change". After that, I got a confirmation # (printed a pdf for such for record).
Not sure when will the refund be credited back to my CC.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Apologizes if this situation has been asked before upstream.

I have the following AA itinerary booked for the long weekend:

Outbound: ORD-SFO (booked with Avios)
Return: SFO-ORD (booked with cash non-refundable G fare)

Weather in both places has been pretty rough this week. If my outbound booked with Avios is cancelled will AA let me cancel the return with a full refund? I'd be at the airport so would have access to Admirals club for help with IRROPS. I'm just trying to figure out if it's a policy to refund the return in a case like this where it's two separate tickets (both operated by AA) or if I will need to find a sympathetic agent.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747
Apologizes if this situation has been asked before upstream.

I have the following AA itinerary booked for the long weekend:

Outbound: ORD-SFO (booked with Avios)
Return: SFO-ORD (booked with cash non-refundable G fare)

Weather in both places has been pretty rough this week. If my outbound booked with Avios is cancelled will AA let me cancel the return with a full refund? I'd be at the airport so would have access to Admirals club for help with IRROPS. I'm just trying to figure out if it's a policy to refund the return in a case like this where it's two separate tickets (both operated by AA) or if I will need to find a sympathetic agent.
If your second ticket is unaffected by any weather waivers or cancellations then it's definitely not policy for AA to let you cancel it for no fee, however a sympathetic/helpful agent will usually allow it. Definitely a YMMV situation.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:22 pm

even if you can't find a sympathetic agent, just cancel it, and request the refund yourself at prefunds.aa.com with a bit of dicta.
the agents at prefunds.aa.com are way-overboard generous.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

well it seems to take between 24 and 28 hrs to go from “can’t find your refund request” to pending review. However, it’s been stuck in that status for 4 days now. How long does AA typically take to review and process a refund? I suspect this booking may be in limbo as it still shows as a valid itenerary when I look at my trips on the AS app, even though AA shows that it has been canceled.
As a data point, from cancelling the ticket and submitting the refund request for a 001 stock ticket, but operated by AS, it took a week for the refund request to be processed. It took a further 2 days for the refund to show up on my credit card.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Looks like my MCO-JFK 's for August are all switched to MCO-CLT-JFK - just trying to get AA to re-issue new ticket and for BA to agree to the change on their ticket!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Would love some advice as to my options. Several months ago I booked 2 roundtrip mileage saver award tickets: JAN-CLT-MIA-BGI, BGI-MIA-CLT-JAN. Departure 9/14/19, return 9/21/19. Both the outbound and inbound portions of the trip were completed in one day, no overnight connections. I checked on my flight today and noticed that AA has completely changed its schedule for MIA-BGI. Right now my reservations simply say that AA will contact me. Now both directions or the trip will have to include overnight layovers as a result. I don't want to cancel the flight or get a refund. I can't find anything that addresses schedule changes which force multiple overnight connections. Is there any chance AA would defray the cost of a hotel room or give me a class upgrade as compensation? Neither seem to be provided for in the rules, but I'm wondering if someone has had personal experience with something similar.

Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbmcmurt
Would love some advice as to my options. Several months ago I booked 2 roundtrip mileage saver award tickets: JAN-CLT-MIA-BGI, BGI-MIA-CLT-JAN. Departure 9/14/19, return 9/21/19. Both the outbound and inbound portions of the trip were completed in one day, no overnight connections. I checked on my flight today and noticed that AA has completely changed its schedule for MIA-BGI. Right now my reservations simply say that AA will contact me. Now both directions or the trip will have to include overnight layovers as a result. I don't want to cancel the flight or get a refund. I can't find anything that addresses schedule changes which force multiple overnight connections. Is there any chance AA would defray the cost of a hotel room or give me a class upgrade as compensation? Neither seem to be provided for in the rules, but I'm wondering if someone has had personal experience with something similar.

Thank you.
Welcome to FT, and good job searching and finding the right thread to post your question ^.

Unfortunately, with a schedule change that results in a forced overnight, AA will not cover any costs associated with your hotel. They also will not give you an upgrade or anything else as compensation.

Basically your only options are A) cancel and redeposit the miles for no fee, or B) change to any available flight that works better.

When you call to change flights, since it was an AA schedule change there does not need to be award availability on the new flights (although sometimes you have to HUCA to get a good agent who will switch you without award space). Unfortunately though, as you mentioned, I don't see any way to get from JAN-BGI and back in September that doesn't involve an overnight both ways. So if you don't want to cancel, you need to plan on that, and pick whatever new routing works the best.
rbmcmurt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.