Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:49 pm

Myself, the Mrs. and baby flew TLV-LHR-JFK about a month ago, and our return flights JFK-LHR (BA174/AA6139) and LHR-TLV (BA165) are scheduled for the end of August. The ticket numbers begin with 001.
Due to general problems with codesharing and BA/AA systems, I was issued 3 different PNRs - one for AA and two for BA. In addition, I was never able to see the LHR-TLV segment on any of the online booking systems for any of the PNRs. However, the phone agents all swear that it's there, and it appears in the emails/receipts of the booking.

About two weeks ago, I got an email from AA stating "there's a change in your trip". I dutifully open up the My Trips page, but I can't seem to see any changes compared to my original itinerary.
I'm now planning our final days in NYC, and I double check the time of our flight - and here I notice that the LHR-TLV flight has been advanced by 10 minutes, which now causes an illegal connection as BA174 is scheduled to land at 710AM and BA165 is schedule to depart at 800AM, leaving only 50 minutes between flights which is less then the MCT at T5 (60 minutes).

AA has not reached out to me regarding this change. Should I proactively contact them? There are earlier BA flights which would get us there in time, but I'd want to make sure they have bulkhead/bassinet seats available (I would also prefer staying on a BA flight as they have bulkhead child seats for larger infants, in addition to the standard bassinet).
Are they supposed to contact me at some point? What would happen if we reach the date of departure and just show up to our original flight?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by yitzc
Myself, the Mrs. and baby flew TLV-LHR-JFK about a month ago, and our return flights JFK-LHR (BA174/AA6139) and LHR-TLV (BA165) are scheduled for the end of August. The ticket numbers begin with 001.
Due to general problems with codesharing and BA/AA systems, I was issued 3 different PNRs - one for AA and two for BA. In addition, I was never able to see the LHR-TLV segment on any of the online booking systems for any of the PNRs. However, the phone agents all swear that it's there, and it appears in the emails/receipts of the booking.

About two weeks ago, I got an email from AA stating "there's a change in your trip". I dutifully open up the My Trips page, but I can't seem to see any changes compared to my original itinerary.
I'm now planning our final days in NYC, and I double check the time of our flight - and here I notice that the LHR-TLV flight has been advanced by 10 minutes, which now causes an illegal connection as BA174 is scheduled to land at 710AM and BA165 is schedule to depart at 800AM, leaving only 50 minutes between flights which is less then the MCT at T5 (60 minutes).

AA has not reached out to me regarding this change. Should I proactively contact them? There are earlier BA flights which would get us there in time, but I'd want to make sure they have bulkhead/bassinet seats available (I would also prefer staying on a BA flight as they have bulkhead child seats for larger infants, in addition to the standard bassinet).
Are they supposed to contact me at some point? What would happen if we reach the date of departure and just show up to our original flight?
Your best bet is to decide what would suit you best and then call them. If it is an illegal connection then they will have to allow you to change it. I usually express this in terms of there being a problem and I would like to check if I can do what I propose. This makes it easier to hang up and try again if you get an unhelpful agent, if they agree then you go ahead.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:08 pm

Thanks.
Would they allow me to change it to the following day? And/or switch to a BA flight out of EWR?
I tried reading through the Schedule Change pdf linked in the wiki, but not 100% I understand all the conditions and terms.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks.
Would they allow me to change it to the following day? And/or switch to a BA flight out of EWR?
I tried reading through the Schedule Change pdf linked in the wiki, but not 100% I understand all the conditions and terms.
Someone with more experience of major changes will have to answer both of those. They will certainly let you do what is needed to resolve the problem and if that forces a bigger time change then you would get more flexibility. You could always propose some options on the phone without accepting any changes that you don't like. The system ought to catch the illegal connection eventually and propose its own ideas.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks.
Getting a BA flight out of EWR should be no problem but switching to a later day will be questionable given there are tons of NYC-LHR options on your original travel date. You can always ask, YMMV.

BTW it is 100% common for AA to not send out a notification for many weeks or months when schedules change like this. As mentioned above, just do some checking online, figure out the best option you'd like to switch to, and give AA a call.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Getting a BA flight out of EWR should be no problem but switching to a later day will be questionable given there are tons of NYC-LHR options on your original travel date. You can always ask, YMMV.

BTW it is 100% common for AA to not send out a notification for many weeks or months when schedules change like this. As mentioned above, just do some checking online, figure out the best option you'd like to switch to, and give AA a call.
you are mistaken - a schedule change resulting in an invalid connection allows the passenger to select alternative flights +/- 1 day from original flight date

Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Bit of a mystery for my compadres here at FT:

Have 2 MileSAAver reservations covering 3 people, in First, SMF-DFW-BNA.

Original schedule was a red-eye out of SMF, getting to BNA by 10:30am. Got a schedule change email last night that moved our departure back to 6am out of SMF, short connection in Dallas, arriving at 2:15pm in BNA. Almost 4 hours difference in arrival time and almost 5 hours later a departure.

1st call was going well, and we were exploring a slightly earlier red-eye SMF-CLT-BNA arriving close to the original arrival time but was disconnected while on hold for the agent to speak with the help desk. Called back went through the rigamarole again with a different agent. She said the help desk would not open inventory for me to take the preferred new routing. I did a quick EF check and the cabins are wide open right now, J7+ on the legs I requested, some Saaver inventory on 1 of the legs but the other was zero'd out.

I was offered an even earlier evening flight SMF-LAX-BNA arriving at like 4:45am and that just is not going to work for a variety of reasons.

I will HUCA this weekend and hope for some luck, but am I right in firmly requesting my preferred re-routing since it is well north of 90 or 120 mins worth of a schedule change, and what I am requesting is the closest resemblance to my original routing? What is the magic trick for the help desk (or RM in reality) to open the required inventory for my preferred rerouting?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Colin
you are mistaken - a schedule change resulting in an invalid connection allows the passenger to select alternative flights +/- 1 day from original flight date

Thanks. I noticed that but wasn't sure it applied in our case, as that part only appears under the Quick Reference. Under the "Itinerary Involves OA(s) Schedule Change(s) 001 Ticket Stock" (which I thought was relevant to our case) section it doesn't seem to allow changing the flight to +/- 1 day.
We'll come to a decision and then call in. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by yitzc; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:27 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtav559
Bit of a mystery for my compadres here at FT:

Have 2 MileSAAver reservations covering 3 people, in First, SMF-DFW-BNA.

Original schedule was a red-eye out of SMF, getting to BNA by 10:30am. Got a schedule change email last night that moved our departure back to 6am out of SMF, short connection in Dallas, arriving at 2:15pm in BNA. Almost 4 hours difference in arrival time and almost 5 hours later a departure.

1st call was going well, and we were exploring a slightly earlier red-eye SMF-CLT-BNA arriving close to the original arrival time but was disconnected while on hold for the agent to speak with the help desk. Called back went through the rigamarole again with a different agent. She said the help desk would not open inventory for me to take the preferred new routing. I did a quick EF check and the cabins are wide open right now, J7+ on the legs I requested, some Saaver inventory on 1 of the legs but the other was zero'd out.

I was offered an even earlier evening flight SMF-LAX-BNA arriving at like 4:45am and that just is not going to work for a variety of reasons.

I will HUCA this weekend and hope for some luck, but am I right in firmly requesting my preferred re-routing since it is well north of 90 or 120 mins worth of a schedule change, and what I am requesting is the closest resemblance to my original routing? What is the magic trick for the help desk (or RM in reality) to open the required inventory for my preferred rerouting?
There's no real magic trick other than to keep HUCA until you get another helpful agent. It should be no problem to switch to your desired SMF-CLT-BNA routing given the schedule change circumstances.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have 2 award tickets from HNL to PHL, via PHX in January. As many others have seen with their own flights, the schedule change this past weekend means I now get home 116 minutes later than originally plan.

I called in wanting to get on the early HNL-DFW flight (and then onto PHL), but the agent claimed they couldn’t/wouldn’t open inventory. Before I keep calling, I just wanted to verify that what I’m asking isn’t ridiculous or out of line.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McSam18
I have 2 award tickets from HNL to PHL, via PHX in January. As many others have seen with their own flights, the schedule change this past weekend means I now get home 116 minutes later than originally plan.

I called in wanting to get on the early HNL-DFW flight (and then onto PHL), but the agent claimed they couldn’t/wouldn’t open inventory. Before I keep calling, I just wanted to verify that what I’m asking isn’t ridiculous or out of line.
Of course not, keep HUCA until you get a helpful agent.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Of course not, keep HUCA until you get a helpful agent.
Thanks for the reassurance. At some point, you almost question yourself when talking with some of these agents.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Question Flight "Not Equipped to Fly Internationally" Diverted and Cancelled

Compensation for 14-hour delay/layover caused by AA's error and resulting in diversion?

A friend of mine was on flight AA232 from DFW to KEF on Wed, Aug 1st; the new non-stop service to Reykjavik.
-She was flying in economy (I do not have the fare code)
-Over NYC, capt'n came on and said the equipment was not prepared for international travel and thus they had to divert to JFK
-After arriving, the pilots leave the plane and even the FAs had no idea what was going on. No announcements or update until...
-Flight gets cancelled officially at 2am and they put everyone on a flight at 2pm the following day resulting in 14 hour layover from time they arrived at JFK
-Only offering from AA was a $150 voucher only good toward a hotel 60miles away in Jersey, she turned it down and stayed with a friend in Brooklyn

My friend is wondering what she can ask AA for. She would ideally like cash compensation for missed reservations, wasted PTO and ideally an entire refund of the ticket. What is the max she can ask for? I've had some bad travel experiences, but this one is beyond my experiences.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Aug 10, 2018 at 9:11 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Our flight from DFW to KEF was delayed from 8:50 PM on 06/28/2018 to noon on 06/29/2018; we diverted to JFK for a two-hour delay to get a new plane when the captain determined that our plane had not been repaired. We received hotel accommodations near DFW, meal vouchers, and 15,000 miles.

She can also file a claim with her credit card company fi she has coverage.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meunger11
Compensation for 14-hour delay/layover caused by AA's error and resulting in diversion?

A friend of mine was on flight AA232 from DFW to KEF on Wed, Aug 1st; the new non-stop service to Reykjavik.
-She was flying in economy (I do not have the fare code)
-Over NYC, capt'n came on and said the equipment was not prepared for international travel and thus they had to divert to JFK
-After arriving, the pilots leave the plane and even the FAs had no idea what was going on. No announcements or update until...
-Flight gets cancelled officially at 2am and they put everyone on a flight at 2pm the following day resulting in 14 hour layover from time they arrived at JFK
-Only offering from AA was a $150 voucher only good toward a hotel 60miles away in Jersey, she turned it down and stayed with a friend in Brooklyn

My friend is wondering what she can ask AA for. She would ideally like cash compensation for missed reservations, wasted PTO and ideally an entire refund of the ticket. What is the max she can ask for? I've had some bad travel experiences, but this one is beyond my experiences.
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Our flight from DFW to KEF was delayed from 8:50 PM on 06/28/2018 to noon on 06/29/2018; we diverted to JFK for a two-hour delay to get a new plane when the captain determined that our plane had not been repaired. We received hotel accommodations near DFW, meal vouchers, and 15,000 miles.

She can also file a claim with her credit card company fi she has coverage.
Wrong thread. Guessing this will get moved, and it appears someone already posted a similar question about that same DFW-KEF incident as well.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

Reasonable Compensation for 16 hour delay, diversion and lost bag

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.