Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
Perhaps Check Flights through Madrid to Tenerife. Find IB or BA space from Gatwick/Heathrow/Madrid and then find the best AA routing to get you there. AA won’t open up BA metal but they will open up their own metal.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If I find BA award space will AA charge the crazy fuel fees? There is a BA flight from ORD at a similar time to the scrapped AA flight. Iberia is an idea but there are few choices from the west, LAX on some days.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
My award flights are now really messed up and may require a double red eye to get to Tenerife from Edmonton, AB. Not too familiar with what AA can do with award tickets. I assume any AA flight regardless of award space is fair game. What about Alaska or BA, can they get award space opened on these partners? If BA has space would the fuel surcharge be waived? Just can’t get to a location that AA has a flight to London operating on the same day and arrive early enough to do a transfer of airports in London for a 1pm Gatwick departure. UGH.

Original routing:
Nov 29 YEG-SEA-ORD-LHR/LGW-TFS
This will work:

7:45 AM YEG-SEA on Alaska, arrives 8:40 AM
AA 228, 10:00 AM SEA-DFW, arrives 3:48 PM
AA 80 5:15 PM DFW-LHR, arrives 8:15 AM Nov. 30

Gives you 5.5 hours to get to LGW, which is totally fine and legal per BA rules. Just buy a changeable National Coach bus ticket from LHR to LGW and you should be all set.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:20 pm

Booked an LAX-JFK-LHR route using AAmilesaver Business, mostly because both flights are Flagship business.

LAX-JFK 12:00pm- 8:51pm

JFK-LHR 10:40pm-10:50am

I want an earlier flight from LAX-JFK to avoid ANY potential of missing the flight from JFK-LHR. Is 1:50 minutes enough layover time in JFK?

Is there anything AA can do to change this to a flight an hour or two earlier? Neither flight i want has AAmilesaver availability but I'm trying to think of creative ways outside the box.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Booked an LAX-JFK-LHR route using AAmilesaver Business, mostly because both flights are Flagship business.

LAX-JFK 12:00pm- 8:51pm

JFK-LHR 10:40pm-10:50am

I want an earlier flight from LAX-JFK to avoid ANY potential of missing the flight from JFK-LHR. Is 1:50 minutes enough layover time in JFK?

Is there anything AA can do to change this to a flight an hour or two earlier? Neither flight i want has AAmilesaver availability but I'm trying to think of creative ways outside the box.

Thanks in advance.
Almost 2 hours is well over MCT at JFK and plenty sufficient for the connection with time to spare at the Flagship Lounge if that's your thing.

You're not likely to get an equipment swap on that route so wait it out for a schedule change which insn't terribly likely on that particular route either.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Almost 2 hours is well over MCT at JFK and plenty sufficient for the connection with time to spare at the Flagship Lounge if that's your thing.

You're not likely to get an equipment swap on that route so wait it out for a schedule change which insn't terribly likely on that particular route either.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Part of the reason I want an earlier flight from LAX is to enjoy the flagship lounge some more!
But most importantly to get to that JFK-LHR which is the last flight of the night.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just got his as a schedule change...makes the trip impossible to fly. I tried calling reservations asking them to put me on a flight the day before, but they said they would only do the same day. I said I would evaluate my options and call in later and they said they would note the PNR regarding what we discussed (dammit)...I just tried twitter and got the same response. Any advice on a way I could do this? I'm trying to change the flight from a Monday to a Sunday and I haven't had any issue doing this in the past. Thought it was official policy +/- 1 day.

Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by donotblink
Just got his as a schedule change...makes the trip impossible to fly. I tried calling reservations asking them to put me on a flight the day before, but they said they would only do the same day. I said I would evaluate my options and call in later and they said they would note the PNR regarding what we discussed (dammit)...I just tried twitter and got the same response. Any advice on a way I could do this? I'm trying to change the flight from a Monday to a Sunday and I haven't had any issue doing this in the past. Thought it was official policy +/- 1 day.

As an FYI, the schedule changed more than 91 minutes.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

I would keep HUCA in spite of the agent (supposedly) making notes in the PNR. AA changed the schedule to an impossible itinerary so it should be no problem to switch to a day earlier. I mean if these agents refused to move you, how did they propose you get from EGE to JFK on that day?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:13 am

be better on your next call.
start off dumb, aw shucks, gonna miss my daughter’s play, can i get on the earlier nonstop?
oh, there’s only one a day, i see. maybe the day prior would work, what time is that flight?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:33 am

The Twitter team came to the rescue (after a bit of runaround)! Got me the flight I wanted!!!!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:28 pm

The Twitter team came to the rescue (after a bit of runaround)! Got me the flight I wanted!!!!
I'm hearing from others on Facebook "This is a huge issue as of lately — I’ve had many similar schedule changes and AA is being incredibly stubborn and refusing to change the date, even to just the day before (something well within reason). This is much different than the attitude they had several months ago."

Is anyone on here aware of any new internal policy changes, and what they are?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:40 pm

<deleted>
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Four months ago I booked a CLT-MAD r/t for Thanksgiving. I am scheduled on:

AA 2034 CLT-PHL 1440-1626
AA 740 PHL-MAD 1850-0805

Today I find that AA has changed me to the impossible:

AA 2034 CLT-PHL 1440-1626
AA 4142 PHL-JFK 15354-1651
AA 94 JFK-MAD 1855-0810

Because the PHL-MAD flight seems to have gone away. Glad I caught this so I can call them and say that their A-321s are not time machines.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Another round of schedule changes was processed last night/this morning. We had significant changes to flights in October involving SEA/MIA/TPA, SEA/PHL/ABE and ABE/ORD/SEA. New schedules work ok for us, but we've learned to check our future reservations at least once a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.