Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 19, 18, 4:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund
The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
 IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
 CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
 (I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
 ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
 (II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
 STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
 (III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
 ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
 (IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
 OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
 OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
 TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
 OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
 REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
 SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
 PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
 RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 6, 19, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Welcome to FT, and good job searching and finding the right thread to post your question .

Unfortunately, with a schedule change that results in a forced overnight, AA will not cover any costs associated with your hotel. They also will not give you an upgrade or anything else as compensation.

Basically your only options are A) cancel and redeposit the miles for no fee, or B) change to any available flight that works better.

When you call to change flights, since it was an AA schedule change there does not need to be award availability on the new flights (although sometimes you have to HUCA to get a good agent who will switch you without award space). Unfortunately though, as you mentioned, I don't see any way to get from JAN-BGI and back in September that doesn't involve an overnight both ways. So if you don't want to cancel, you need to plan on that, and pick whatever new routing works the best.
Thank you. That tracks with what I was expecting and what I found too. It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled by it. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and give the benefit of your knowledge on the subject. At least I can probably convince them to let me depart on Friday 9/13 instead of 9/14 now, since reward availability no longer matters. Again, thank you.
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL/CCR), HH Diamond
I'm looking for advice...

I have a convoluted award itinerary (because that was where availability was found) of HKG-LAX-MCO-CLT-SAV in business (LAX-MCO was a redeye).

There has just been a schedule change, and I have been changed to HKG-LAX-BNA-CLT-SAV. (LAX-BNA is also a redeye.)

Ideally, I'd prefer HKG-DFW-SAV. Or I'd settle for an overnight in LAX...and something like LAX-DFW-SAV or LAX-CLT-SAV the next day.

Made my first call and got the standard response of there not being any award inventory on any other flights. I politely told them that I wanted some more time to evaluate other options before accepting the change.

Key issues that might allow me to make changes. Connection time at LAX is 5 hours and 36 minutes. Arrival time in SAV is 34 minutes later (under 60 minutes). Schedule change resulted in a change of connection point.

Any suggestions aside from HUCA?

Or am I stuck with this?

Last edited by skippythelizard; Mar 10, 19 at 11:22 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:29 pm

huca until you get an agent to do what you want.

try this tact.
“calling about a sched change. called this am and agent gave me a couple options. i’ve thought about it and made a decision. may i give you the flight numbers, routing, and times for the option this agent gave me this morning?”
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver
HUCA make sure you're friendly and eventually you'll get an agent who will help you out
Old Mar 11, 19, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I just noticed today that AA made a schedule change for a flight I have coming up in July. I was scheduled to fly SFO-JFK on the red-eye departing around 10pm. It seems that flight was dropped from the schedule, and they rescheduled me for a flight that departs SFO 7 hours earlier at 3pm. I liked the original flight because I could work for the full day before heading to the airport after dinner in time to catch my flight. Now with a 3pm departure, I have to take off at least a half day of work in order to catch the flight, and the earliest flight the next day is 8am which gets me into JFK too late for my connecting flight (also on the same ticket).

I looked at EF to see what flights I could ask for (while maintaining the A321T), and while it is not as ideal as my original flight timings, there is an SFO-LAX that departs at 6:15pm that connects to the last LAX-JFK flight at 9:30pm, or more convenient for me would be a SJC departure to LAX at 6:53pm that would also connect to the same 9:30 LAX-JFK flight. Would AA consider either option because of the schedule change (~7 hours)? There are also 2 other possibly complicating factors, the first is that the LAX-JFK flight I want currently doesn't have my fare class "I", available. Would they be willing to open it up for me? The second problem is that my ticket is actually issued by JL, would AA be able to make changes like these to a ticket they did not issue?
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:04 pm

Hello. I need a bit of advice before approaching AA help desk.

I have an award ticket from BUD-PHL-AUS this summer all on AA metals. The original schedule was arriving at PHL at 3:30pm and departing for AUS at 7:30pm. Now, I see there is a schedule change by AA and departing for AUS is now at 3:50pm, which leaves me only 20min for immigration and I don't think doable. I like to proactively approach AA and ask them to do even exchange into BUD-HDR-AUS yet all on BA metals (AA codeshare). I think this is a reasonable alternative route for me, but my concern is if AA now will try to charge me the notorious BA surcharges. According to OMMAT, since this is out of my control, I'm not supposed to pay the tax difference, but this is already 4 years ago already.

I like to welcome any advice you have for me on this matter. So far, my best plan is to change into the alternative BA metals without paying the tax difference thru even exchange.
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:16 pm

call and ask
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:34 pm

called, and was told that no need to pay extra for BA metals, only if there are award seats available on BA. For now, there are not, so have to call later. Can they ask BA to open up the revenue seats? Perhaps hard, as it is a different airline?
Old Mar 15, 19, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thyeros View Post
called, and was told that no need to pay extra for BA metals, only if there are award seats available on BA. For now, there are not, so have to call later. Can they ask BA to open up the revenue seats? Perhaps hard, as it is a different airline?
Not happening.
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Just had my JFK-BOS mis-connect with my MIA-BOS. Spoke to AA reservations and they couldn't offer anything early in the day ('No I class available) via CLT, so asked via PHL, and the same excuse. Except ExpertFlyer shows I class available.
Agent suggested I wait until another schedule change happened!
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Just had my JFK-BOS mis-connect with my MIA-BOS. Spoke to AA reservations and they couldn't offer anything early in the day ('No I class available) via CLT, so asked via PHL, and the same excuse. Except ExpertFlyer shows I class available.
Agent suggested I wait until another schedule change happened!
did you try hanging up and calling again?
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 4:34 pm

I booked an AA R fare KTM-HKG-LAX-SEA about 3 months ago and now the KA operated KTM-HKG flight has moved from 11:55pm back to 9:15pm.

Iím assuming that with greater than 2 hours in change, i have several options. The change fee is only $75 per ticket (and $150 cancelation) so not a huge deal, but does the schedule change mean I can just shuffle these tickets forward to January for no fee at all?
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:55 pm

Apologies if this has been addressed up the thread - I did so a keyword search for "weather" and did not turn up anything definitive.

What is the AA refund policy for weather-related cancellations? Both legs of my flight on Sunday were cancelled due to weather. I was auto-rebooked on Monday (22hrs later.) But there were no flights available to my original destination airport - none until Wednesday as per the AA Twitter feed. I was also not given a seat assignment on the Monday flight into the alternate airport. It looked like I was maybe put on standby. I was on a D fare class.

I ultimately got through on the phone after 4 hours and was offered a flight that would have arrived at a different airport at 1:16 a.m. Tuesday. I opted to cancel the alternate itinerary the system had booked me into and booked a Monday flight to my original destination airport with Delta instead.

Refund is pending, but I'm not totally clear on weather related cancellations qualify for a full refund, since technically weather is outside of the airline's control. The alternate options they offered me were pretty unworkable though, and I already had to miss a work day.
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ShinyO View Post
What is the AA refund policy for weather-related cancellations?.
The wording in the travel waivers is usually that you can re-book within specified time limits or cancel so I would imagine that you will have no trouble getting a full refund.
ShinyO likes this.
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:17 pm

Hi everyone. I just registered and read through the thread (HUCA). I rarely fly and don't have any brownie points with American.
I received an email from American last night saying that my original flight had been canceled and they had put me on another flight.

I purchased three tickets for "basic economy," but wanted to check with you all to see if I might be eligible for seat upgrades due to a schedule change if my original booking was for basic economy.
It would be a nice surprise, but it seems like if there are seats in "basic economy" available, it makes no sense for an agent to upgrade the three seats. Maybe the reason I haven't found any posts about "schedule change upgrades" is because it is so obvious? Thank you.

Original flight (both were non-stop):
6/13/2019 - IAD (7:30 am) to LAX (10:17 am)

6/20/2019 - LAX (9:45 pm) to IAD (5:45 am)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
American automatically changed my flight to this (added a layover in Charlotte - arrival time is changed >2 hours both ways):
6/13/2019 - IAD (9:15 am) to CLT (10:51 am)
CLT (11:40 am) to LAX (1:44 pm)

6/20/2019 - LAX (10:25 pm) to CLT (6:08 am)
6/21/2019 - CLT (7:25 am) to IAD (8:45 am)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Schedule I would like to change to (this is the only non-stop from IAD on both days):
6/13/2019 - IAD (7:00 pm) to LAX (9:34 pm)

6/20/2019 - LAX (8:59 am) to IAD (5:07 pm)

Edit: I know I am eligible for a full refund, but at this point, prices are >$300 than what I originally paid (via Google Flights). My best option would be to just get American to move me to a non-stop flight instead of trying to rebook with another carrier.

Last edited by jkxs; Apr 16, 19 at 10:23 pm

Search this Thread