Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MGW2000
Anyone have experience with a web special award (in F)? It was booked SJC-LAX-LHR with an original 2:30pm departure, but SJC-LAX was changed to a 9am flight (so more than 1 hour).

Agent on the phone said no co-terminals (ie. no SFO -LAX at the same time as original flight) and no Joint Business (so no BA). Seems fairly stringent. Is that right?
Ask via Twitter and provide the specific flights you want to be re-accommodated on (ideally using AA codeshares if you're trying to move to BA) and they may be more helpful. Don't mention anything about it being a web special, having tried to change it before, etc. Keep it short and to the point.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Anyone have experience with a web special award (in F)? It was booked SJC-LAX-LHR with an original 2:30pm departure, but SJC-LAX was changed to a 9am flight (so more than 1 hour).

Agent on the phone said no co-terminals (ie. no SFO -LAX at the same time as original flight) and no Joint Business (so no BA). Seems fairly stringent. Is that right?
With a 5.5 hr change I cant imagine it being a problem to switch to SFO if the times work better (is there no later SJC-LAX that would work?) however with any of these schedule change requests you often have to HUCA a few times.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Ask via Twitter and provide the specific flights you want to be re-accommodated on (ideally using AA codeshares if you're trying to move to BA) and they may be more helpful. Don't mention anything about it being a web special, having tried to change it before, etc. Keep it short and to the point.
Is the twitter team the same as the chat function in the app?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They don't appear to be the same. Twitter are usually much more helpful / competent.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:39 pm

Thanks - they seem pretty intent on no co-terminals / no BA in the chat (I understand no BA but no co-terminals ie. SFO seems excessive).
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Web Specials have to be AA prime flights only. No codeshares, no partner airlines. You'll need to find alternate AA flights that will work for you. My suggestion is to pick another SJC-LAX flight. If need be, do an overnight in LAX.

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes, except that codeshares are never allowed on an award, and Web Special awards must be AA prime flights only (no partner airlines).

In my experience, they are very different teams. Twitter team is usually quite good when dealing with very specific things, such as requesting alternate flights after a schedule change. In my experience, chat agents have been remarkably uninformed and seemingly unskilled. YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Web Specials have to be AA prime flights only. No codeshares, no partner airlines. You'll need to find alternate AA flights that will work for you. My suggestion is to pick another SJC-LAX flight. If need be, do an overnight in LAX
And no co-terminal for web special (so SFO)?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:30 pm

That I don't know. It's worth a try if there's an AA prime flight out of SFO you really want to take (e.g., SFO-LAX instead of SJC-LAX).
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Have your tried AA Twitter and state that your PNR experienced a schedule change in excess of N hours and request that SJC-LAX segment be replaced with AA123 SFO-LAX?

AA Twitter gladly made the switch on similar schedule change as recently as last week. Phone agent insisted a reprice because it was a web special. AA schedule change policy allows for co terminal change especially if change is in excess of 60 minutes.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:39 pm

So oddly enough AA twitter was able to get me on BA...but only out of SJC.

Now I'm back for round 2 since MRS-LHR on the return cancelled and there's nothing that will connect to either SFO flight from LHR (that I am confirmed on in J). AA twitter is saying there's nothing they can do because it's BA flights on an award. BA rebooked me on the earliers MRS-LHR but it arrives well after LHR-SFO leaves. Am I just screwed? I assume nothing BA can do since it's an AA ticket?

Also...isn't this an EU261 issue? Not eligible for compensation as the cancellation was communicated >14 days, but duty of care (rebooking and amenities) still stands...

Last edited by MGW2000; Apr 26, 2022 at 1:01 am
Old May 26, 2022, 1:09 am

I have a 6:45pm LAX to LHR flight with one hour layover to BA flight to EDI. I want to move the LAX leg to the earlier 3:50pm flight. Ive been told that they cannot reprice this since the EDI flight is BA and fully booked. Is there any way to move the flight? Should I try to go to the airport early to see? Im EXP (and would like to use a SWU if possible too)
Old May 27, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jumpingbean421
I have a 6:45pm LAX to LHR flight with one hour layover to BA flight to EDI. I want to move the LAX leg to the earlier 3:50pm flight. I’ve been told that they cannot reprice this since the EDI flight is BA and fully booked. Is there any way to move the flight? Should I try to go to the airport early to see? I’m EXP (and would like to use a SWU if possible too)
One hour is a barely legal connection (EF shows 1:30 as MCT for all international inbound flights to LHR but there's an exception for BA at T5 of one hour.) If there was a schedule change to any of your flights (inbound or outbound), then it should be very easy to get switched to the earlier flight for free (even exchange) as an involuntary change. If there wasn't a schedule change, you can plead your case that the connection is too tight, especially with longer secuity lines due to COVID (you will need to reclear security). Since you are EXP, what I'd suggest is to send AA a Twitter DM. If you haven't DMed them before, mention that you are EXP. In the DM, give the PNR, say you have an illegal connection in LHR and to fix it please move you to the earlier 3:50 flight LAX-LHR.

Last edited by anabolism; May 27, 2022 at 9:53 am Reason: Double-checked MCT
Old May 27, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by anabolism
One hour is an illegal connection (EF shows 1:30 as MCT for all international inbound flights to LHR), so it should be very easy to get switched to the earlier flight for free (even exchange) as an involuntary change. Since you are EXP, your best bet is to send AA a Twitter DM. If you haven't DMed them before, mention that you are EXP. In the DM, give the PNR, say you have an illegal connection in LHR and to fix it please move you to the earlier 3:50 flight LAX-LHR.
No, the MCT for a T5-T5 connection to BA is 1:00, so it's legal.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, the MCT for a T5-T5 connection to BA is 1:00, so it's legal.
Yes, you are correct, as I realized and edited my post while you were writing your correction.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:23 pm

AA’s been incredibly generous with voluntary changes of late.

3cabin F dirt cheap award JFK-LAX swapped to 3cabin F BOS-LAX after a 30 minute schedule change.

Origin change day of SBA to SBP after a 30 minute flight departure delay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.