Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I tend to book early for at least half of my trips, and they all end up with schedule changes. I have found that the Twitter team will basically do whatever I want after a scheduled change. As long as I'm not asking to cancel, they will give me any flights I want. There have been instances where they have given me significant changes despite a relatively small schedule change. They have even allowed me to fly out the next morning when an evening itinerary was no longer available the day before. My suggestion is to always try Twitter first. They seem to have more leeway, and it's fast and easy. All I do is include my name and the record locator in the message. I state that there was a schedule change, and I give them the new itinerary that I want. They have never said no.

It's convenient because I don't have to wait on the phone or wait for a call back. I just send my message, and a few hours later I get an email with the new itinerary and a message on Twitter saying it's done.
jebr and coleslaw like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I tend to book early for at least half of my trips, and they all end up with schedule changes. I have found that the Twitter team will basically do whatever I want after a scheduled change. As long as I'm not asking to cancel, they will give me any flights I want. There have been instances where they have given me significant changes despite a relatively small schedule change. They have even allowed me to fly out the next morning when an evening itinerary was no longer available the day before. My suggestion is to always try Twitter first. They seem to have more leeway, and it's fast and easy. All I do is include my name and the record locator in the message. I state that there was a schedule change, and I give them the new itinerary that I want. They have never said no.

It's convenient because I don't have to wait on the phone or wait for a call back. I just send my message, and a few hours later I get an email with the new itinerary and a message on Twitter saying it's done.

is this AA award on AA metal or partner too?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by anabolism
Yes, AA can't overbook on partners.

However, AA agents can overbook on their own flights, so you could, e.g., fly MSO-DFW-SAN on any flights you like that have space in your cabin.
Not sure what you mean by overbook? AS has space on the earlier flight just not x (saver). ie they have at least 2 seats for sale in coach
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by econjon
Not sure what you mean by overbook? AS has space on the earlier flight just not x (saver). ie they have at least 2 seats for sale in coach
Overbook means booking in an inventory that isn't available. If you have an award ticket and there's a schedule change that's four hours or more, or a flight cancellation, AA can rebook you on partner flights only if those flights have award inventory available, but they can rebook you on AA flights that have space in the cabin. So, if you have an award flight on AS in domestic first (booked in 'E'), AA can only move you to an AS flight that has either 'E' or 'T' (for a voluntary downgrade) available, but can book you in 'U' on an AA flight that has, say, J6 U0. They can overbook you in 'U' even though it isn't available.
econjon and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
All of my trips have been on AA metal completely. Most has been paid, but it has worked with award iteneraries too. (Albiet all on AA metal).

Originally Posted by econjon
is this AA award on AA metal or partner too?
econjon likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL

Good info. I put in my record locator and my name. Should I have also included my husbands name on the itinerary? It's an international flight. Expert flyer notified me about the change. AA hasn't notified me yet.....
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
WOW that WAS fast! Got the flights we wanted and he/she gave us great seats too! Thank you twitter!!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

I want to second @thunderdeacon's suggestion. I was able to change my routing and adjust the trip by a day after a partner airline flight cancellation. Very easy, very efficient.

But after receiving the "We made the changes for you" Twitter message, I asked a question about an unrelated trip, and started down a familiar Twitter rabbit-hole where the replies ignored the context, answered a totally different question than what was asked, etc. I don't know if this is the luck of the draw and getting a super-helpful versus nonsensical response purely depends on which agent handles the Twitter message, or if it's a matter of schedule changes versus other questions.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:00 pm

I really hate having to apply for refunds each time and get the manual review. Lots of back and forth explaining to agents why a schedule change or routing change is going to work. Miss the days with AA twitter team and phone agents could help with these.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by liwarren
WOW that WAS fast! Got the flights we wanted and he/she gave us great seats too! Thank you twitter!!
Tried the Twitter route to rebook a cancelled flight that is five months away based on the comments in this thread. On net, this was a massive time saver. However, I would warn that it took an hour or two between each Twitter direct message. Since I wasn't worried about speed, this a pretty good alternative to the phone.
susiesan and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Just wanted to voice out my frustration with AA's inflexibility when they cancel/retime flights (> 2 hours) and are not flexible with rebooking options.
They used to be much more flexible, but my experience these days with them has been hellish after the long wait - they come back with either no, it's not possible (with the same inventory but with an additional stop) or the re-price is $XXX ( usually a large amount).

Cheers!
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Just wanted to voice out my frustration with AA's inflexibility when they cancel/retime flights (> 2 hours) and are not flexible with rebooking options.
They used to be much more flexible, but my experience these days with them has been hellish after the long wait - they come back with either no, it's not possible (with the same inventory but with an additional stop) or the re-price is $XXX ( usually a large amount).

Cheers!
Just out of curiosity what was your original booking, what did they change it to, and what did you suggest as an alternative (that they denied)?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just out of curiosity what was your original booking, what did they change it to, and what did you suggest as an alternative (that they denied)?
This was for a change on my inbound, originally it was SFO-JFK-HEL. The SFO flight moved > 2 hours earlier, departing at 6am. I requested to in this case, let me fly the day before SFO-LAX, and the next day connect to the LAX-JFK flight so I can connect to my flight to HEL. Answer was repriced is needed, since inventory was not available.
Asked for other options which at least not give me too much unproductive time (= long connections or arriving at weird times) - and this time flights with the original inventories, came back with a large fare differences (take an earlier flight, spend a day in LA, and take the red eye to JFK, have some time to do downtown before my flight).
I asked why - and their response was, because what I was asking is voluntary change and not involuntary.

On the same day of my original flight, there is no other better options without a long layover in JFK before my connection to HEL.

Cheers!
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
This was for a change on my inbound, originally it was SFO-JFK-HEL. The SFO flight moved > 2 hours earlier, departing at 6am. I requested to in this case, let me fly the day before SFO-LAX, and the next day connect to the LAX-JFK flight so I can connect to my flight to HEL. Answer was repriced is needed, since inventory was not available.
Asked for other options which at least not give me too much unproductive time (= long connections or arriving at weird times) - and this time flights with the original inventories, came back with a large fare differences (take an earlier flight, spend a day in LA, and take the red eye to JFK, have some time to do downtown before my flight).
I asked why - and their response was, because what I was asking is voluntary change and not involuntary.

On the same day of my original flight, there is no other better options without a long layover in JFK before my connection to HEL.

Cheers!
that is the policy in place since April 8 2020. A four hour change is needed for what you are asking for.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:42 pm

For the international tariff rule
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
is this applicable only to the international segments only, or the entire itinerary? Due to flight timings, I had to have a overnight layover on a return flight when originally ticketed. Flight times have changed such that I can make a domestic connection returning the same day, though time changes were under 2 hours. However, on the domestic segment, the aircraft changed from a 777 to a 738.

I won't be asking for any change in routing, just a change in the domestic return segment. It doesn't appear original "I" inventory is available, though "J" is, so I'm looking for a justification to allow me to rebook into a higher bucket without a reprice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.