Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I have booked over new years MEX-MIA-ORD with return ORD-DFW-MEX. The outbound was booked for both the flagship lounge access (BA Gold) and the lie flat from MIA to ORD, and the return booked for ORD-DFW being a 787, which has now been removed and replaced by a 321. Am I in a legit position to ask for a free reroute via Miami on the way back. At least the flagship there is open and seeing we're on 10th wedding anniversary having a few hours of lounge time both ways would be a nice benefit. Don't mind that Miami is a slightly longer journey, plus the Avios earning a bit better on that route. Thanks in adv
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
I have a ticket in which AA cancelled my lax-tyo-lax parts. There is a waiver on saleslink that applies to my ticket, but I booked through AA directly
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/...le-change.html .

I'm told my ticket expires 12/31/21 because i used a trip credit even though I booked on 4/23/21. Based on the waiver, I should be able to move flights dates to before 3/31/22 for even exchange if origin, destination, and inventory is maintained, but AA will not do it.

Is this right, a agency can do it if I had booked through an agency but not an AA agent?

AA is not offering any option other than cancelling. They will not put me on JL and they will not move the ticket to the first date an AA flight operates.

Last edited by Calboy9903; Nov 20, 2021 at 9:23 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
I have booked over new years MEX-MIA-ORD with return ORD-DFW-MEX. The outbound was booked for both the flagship lounge access (BA Gold) and the lie flat from MIA to ORD, and the return booked for ORD-DFW being a 787, which has now been removed and replaced by a 321. Am I in a legit position to ask for a free reroute via Miami on the way back. At least the flagship there is open and seeing we're on 10th wedding anniversary having a few hours of lounge time both ways would be a nice benefit. Don't mind that Miami is a slightly longer journey, plus the Avios earning a bit better on that route. Thanks in adv
You can ask and they’ll probably accommodate if you’re rerouting to get onto a wide body. If it’s rerouting onto another narrow body then they still may accommodate but you’ve got less of a “legitimate” reason.
TTmex likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:18 am

Somewhat related and may have been discussed. if so, apologies: I cancelled a BZE(Belize)-DFW o/w ticket and received a Trip Credit. As the Trip Credit rules state they are only valid to be used for " Domestic or international flights originating in the U.S." does this mean exactly that: and I can't use it for the same itinerary now?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AA just randomly decided to change some times on the DEN-PHX route in a couple weeks and left me an hour in PHX to do Hawaii pre-clearance, so I am on-hold trying to get moved back to the earlier flight. As an aside, does anybody know if they are doing Hawaii pre-clearance in the Admiral's Clubs in PHX like they are at other hubs?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by alien
Somewhat related and may have been discussed. if so, apologies: I cancelled a BZE(Belize)-DFW o/w ticket and received a Trip Credit. As the Trip Credit rules state they are only valid to be used for " Domestic or international flights originating in the U.S." does this mean exactly that: and I can't use it for the same itinerary now?
To answer my own question: I meant Flight Credit in my post...so the question was/is moot.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Originally Posted by enpremiere
This is still very much the case and sage advice.

The flight credit that you might see will show no value as it's a placeholder for the taxes and fees that will be refunded and disappears on its own once the actual refund is processed. Otherwise that would be a pretty big screwup on the agent's apart (and that system can't actually issue refunds that way anyway so if it really was an outlier case this involved a group higher than front line reservations and that still wasn't the correct procedure regardless).
The points were returned to my account. The taxes and fees have not been refunded to my credit card.
The last time I chatted the rep said that once I rebook I can apply the flight credit. The flight credit is not
showing the value when I put it in the page to include ticket and name. Once I rebook my ticket I will try and use the flight credit online or call in to get some help on applying it.
It may be that the original flights I booked have a different ticket number than the flights AA changed the destination on. The record locator has always stayed the same. Hoping when I do call the wait times will be less than the current of 3 hours.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by anngi
The points were returned to my account. The taxes and fees have not been refunded to my credit card.
The last time I chatted the rep said that once I rebook I can apply the flight credit. The flight credit is not
showing the value when I put it in the page to include ticket and name. Once I rebook my ticket I will try and use the flight credit online or call in to get some help on applying it.
It may be that the original flights I booked have a different ticket number than the flights AA changed the destination on. The record locator has always stayed the same. Hoping when I do call the wait times will be less than the current of 3 hours.
Correct, the flight credit will have no value and is a placeholder until the refund process is complete (clicking on it will show the redemption PNR but you won't see any dollar amount associated with it).

If you check back in the next six days, you'll see the no-value flight credit disappear from your AA wallet and the payment card issuer will show the associated refund.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Correct, the flight credit will have no value and is a placeholder until the refund process is complete (clicking on it will show the redemption PNR but you won't see any dollar amount associated with it).

If you check back in the next six days, you'll see the no-value flight credit disappear from your AA wallet and the payment card issuer will show the associated refund.
+1

if you don’t see the award taxes/charges refunded in a week, Twitter AA with ticket number or PNR and have them push the refund along.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
QQ: is this unusual or par for the course?

They can't see my residual value of a ticket unless I book a new ticket!?!?!??!

Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by kokonutz
QQ: is this unusual or par for the course?

They can't see my residual value of a ticket unless I book a new ticket!?!?!??!

https://twitter.com/MattWald4/status...26435816865792
It seems to be true, that no one at AA can see the residual value on a partly-used ticket. If you book a new ticket, apparently the computer uses some algorithm to figure it out. Presumably, an AA agent could call their Tariff department and have somewhere manually calculate the value. If it's an easy case, such as flying the outbound of a round-trip ticket that was priced using two one-way fares (even one-way fares that can only be booked as part of a one-way), it's an easy calculation that anyone could do by pulling up the historic fare and checking the price and rules (which include the carrier-imposed surcharges). In other cases, such as flying a few segments of a multi-segment fare, I imagine it could be a gray area open to interpretation (e.g., pro-rating the fare by the percentage of the ticketed miles that were flown versus calculating what a fare might have been for the segments flown).

Note that for the easier cases, Expert Flyer provides access to historic fares, up to some amount of time ago.
kokonutz likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Itin with AA LAX-LHR and BA LHR-FCO - Lag on AA side for BA changes

This is a REVENUE ticket in business for next year (not immediate)

Tracking the BA locator I noted that the BA LHR-FCO segment (ticketed as the AA codeshare but shows as a BA flight in their BA locator) was cancelled. BA moved me to a later flight for LHR-FCO , but it's a very lengthy connection (Irony: BA also moved the earlier LHR-FCO flight to be the *SAME* time as my original flight!)

Right now AA shows the original flight as running on time but BA in their locator shows they moved me to the much later connection. Seems the AA codeshare in FT is showing "Cancelled" as well.

Is the lag due to the still AA change of schedules only on Saturday overnight? Thought this was addressed years ago, maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Dec 24, 2021 at 12:02 am
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:58 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
This is a REVENUE ticket in business for next year (not immediate)

Tracking the BA locator I noted that the BA LHR-FCO segment (ticketed as the AA codeshare but shows as a BA flight in their BA locator) was cancelled. BA moved me to a later flight for LHR-FCO , but it's a very lengthy connection (Irony: BA also moved the earlier LHR-FCO flight to be the *SAME* time as my original flight!)

Right now AA shows the original flight as running on time but BA in their locator shows they moved me to the much later connection. Seems the AA codeshare in FT is showing "Cancelled" as well.

Is the lag due to the still AA change of schedules only on Saturday overnight? Thought this was addressed years ago, maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, I had this happen to me in March of 2020, I think. AA didn’t ever pick up on the change (after like a week or two), though it ended up not mattering due to COVID rearing its head and all. But yeah, it’s super frustrating.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: Yes.
I have an AA award booked on AS metal (MSO-SEA-SAN). AS just canceled one of the flights (SEA-SAN). AA rebooked on an AS flight 8 hours later even though there is an AS flight 3 hours later. Is it still the case that there needs to be award space on the earlier flight?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by econjon
I have an AA award booked on AS metal (MSO-SEA-SAN). AS just canceled one of the flights (SEA-SAN). AA rebooked on an AS flight 8 hours later even though there is an AS flight 3 hours later. Is it still the case that there needs to be award space on the earlier flight?
Yes, AA can't overbook on partners.

However, AA agents can overbook on their own flights, so you could, e.g., fly MSO-DFW-SAN on any flights you like that have space in your cabin.
thunderdeacon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.