Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 8:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mapboyPHL
A couple of weeks ago, spouse and I booked PHL-AMS, CDG-JFK-PHL for November travel. Upgraded both TATL with SWUs at booking (hence the routing).

Logged on today and noticed that CDG-JFK-PHL (arrival in to PHL 5:05pm) is now CDG-JFK, SWF-PHL (arrival in PHL 7:39pm). Obviously, we are looking to avoid going from JFK to SWF. In an ideal world, would love to get on the CDG-PHL non-stop, but with SWUs applied, how likely are they to let us keep the upgrade with such a change? If not, I assume AA will let us get off at JFK (at 12:35pm) and take the train home? Thanks,
That is one of the most absurd schedule changes I've ever heard of. I'm running a Google Maps check right now at 10:48 PM on a Saturday and it's a 93 minute drive.
Antarius and chitink like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:16 pm

Had AA move a SFO-LAX-HKG departure up by more than 2 hours. Is it possible to get them to put me on a CX SFO-HKG directly flight? I am in paid PE (P fare code).
Old May 24, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Booked a trip DUB to SLC via ORD flying AA metal in PE cabin but ticketed with BA.
I messed up my diary and booking and realised last night to my horror, that I need to be in SLC a day earlier for my meeting.
Called BA to enquire about the cost for changing the flights to a day earlier. Only €460 or $515… ouch!
Said I would sleep on it then woke up this morning and remembered that BA had informed me a few weeks ago that the AA ORD-SLC flight originally scheduled in my booking was cancelled and the next flight which BA automatically booked me on to was 3 hours later. At the time, I thought that the cancellation, although an inconvenience, wasn’t too bad as I would have more time to enjoy the Flagship First lounge at O’Hare.
Thankfully I remembered the cancellation this morning when I woke up and called BA again and told them that the cancelled AA flight now means I gets in too late to SLC and what can they do? The agent tried unsuccessfully to find flights that get me into SLC earlier on the same day and then asked if I could fly a day earlier?
I am now booked a day earlier at no cost. Even better, BA changed my positioning flight from London to Dublin, which was on a separate ticket at no charge too.
So I would like to thank AA for cancelling my flight AA- you dug me out of a hole of my own making, and saved me some money!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Does anyone know if I'm entitled to a free cancellation in a scenario where my inbound flight to LAS now lands over an hour later than originally booked?

I've read conflicting information. Some says it's 120 mins to justify a cancellation, but others say 61-119 mins can be refunded to a voucher?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:05 am

i've had the guys at prefunds.aa.com process a full refund on a non-refundable fare after the most inconsequential of schedule changes.
i think they have a daily race amongst themselves of which employee can return the most money to customers.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL SILVER, AA GLD
Success on first call

Got an email from AA saying they had changed my AMS-PHL-MSY flight going from about a 2 hour layover to an 8 hour one. Got them to move us to AMS-DFW-MSY. I am on business saver tickets so had to ask the agent to move us to DFW flight and then she got a supervisor to override the fact there were no saver awards available on the AMS-DFW. Very easy and will be much nicer to be on the 777 compared to the 767.

Thank you for every posting, made it easier and I knew what to say to get the routing changed.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Apologies if this is not the right thread but would appreciate some advice as this is more a schedule question than SDC

I have a booking in J - LCY-SNN-JFK (on BA) then JFK-SFO on AA again in J (as part of LCY-JFK-SFO-ORD-LHR routing)

My original JFK-SFO was reschedule to depart earlier and so breached MCT and so I've been moved to a later one (I have access to flagship lounge so worse places to wait but I'd rather get to SFO earlier)

If I ask at AA flagship check-in will they be able (subject, of course, to availability) to move me onto this flight if I ask on the day or am I stuck with the flight I've been rebooked on

As the MCT is based on 2 hours I to D rather than D-D even though BA1 gets pre clearance so no point in asking in advance (it's also a 125 ticket bought via expedia which complicates things a little but restricts the ability to change it before hand)

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"If I ask at AA flagship check-in will they be able (subject, of course, to availability) to move me onto this flight"

What flight is this flight? If you mean your originally-ticketed JFK-SFO flight that was the subject of the schedule change, AA permits free same-day standby for oneworld elites (all levels) on domestic flights; $75 fee for non-status flyers. Do you have oneworld status through any airline?

AA policy here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:17 am

Hi - we had a flight change notification on return flight BOS-DFW including an aircraft change from 321 to 757. I called to try to change to a different flight same day on 321 but was told since time change was less than 2 hours we'd have to pay fare difference plus change fee x2 = $500. Agent said aircraft change does not qualify. Is this correct. The aa.com website does not show wifi or power on the flight that is now a 757 and while less than 2 hours it will get us in later in the day than we expected. Do we have any options? Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by balthus
Hi - we had a flight change notification on return flight BOS-DFW including an aircraft change from 321 to 757. I called to try to change to a different flight same day on 321 but was told since time change was less than 2 hours we'd have to pay fare difference plus change fee x2 = $500. Agent said aircraft change does not qualify. Is this correct. The aa.com website does not show wifi or power on the flight that is now a 757 and while less than 2 hours it will get us in later in the day than we expected. Do we have any options? Thanks.
It's annoying, but just HUCA until you get an agent that will switch you. Don't mention the aircraft change part of it, just say the new schedule gets in later than you originally booked and ask specifically for the earlier flight.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:08 pm

Got it. Had to look up HUCA but will do! It's only 30 minute later - it was the aircraft change that I am bothered about.

We had some ticket credit to use before expiration so ticketed in First.

The email we received does not specify aircraft type for the change.

Just said:
We made these changes to your flight.■New depart time■New arrival time■New aircraft type■Seat change
But on aa.com says 757-Boeing 757 & has 4 rows of First.

I can't figure out specifically what type 757 we are rebooked on in terms of seats, IFE, etc. although seatguru says intl config.

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by guv1976
"If I ask at AA flagship check-in will they be able (subject, of course, to availability) to move me onto this flight"

What flight is this flight? If you mean your originally-ticketed JFK-SFO flight that was the subject of the schedule change, AA permits free same-day standby for oneworld elites (all levels) on domestic flights; $75 fee for non-status flyers. Do you have oneworld status through any airline?

AA policy here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Thanks yes. I want to try and get on to my originally booked flight that since the schedule change isn't MCT legal

I am BA gold / OW Emerald
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by balthus
Got it. Had to look up HUCA but will do! It's only 30 minute later - it was the aircraft change that I am bothered about.

We had some ticket credit to use before expiration so ticketed in First.

The email we received does not specify aircraft type for the change.

Just said:
We made these changes to your flight.■New depart time■New arrival time■New aircraft type■Seat change
But on aa.com says 757-Boeing 757 & has 4 rows of First.

I can't figure out specifically what type 757 we are rebooked on in terms of seats, IFE, etc. although seatguru says intl config.

Thanks.
The 757 in first will be international config, 4 rows of lie-flat seats in a 2x2 config. It will be much more comfortable than the 321 which will have standard domestic first recliners. If you're ok with arriving a bit later I would stick with the 757.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
More schedule changes loaded last night. Trying to fly home from BCN and a schedule change now has me spending the night in CLT. Unfortunately if I want to get home same day, I now have to take a 2 stop through LHR. Ugh.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanksgiving Europe Schedules gutted

My award flights are now really messed up and may require a double red eye to get to Tenerife from Edmonton, AB. Not too familiar with what AA can do with award tickets. I assume any AA flight regardless of award space is fair game. What about Alaska or BA, can they get award space opened on these partners? If BA has space would the fuel surcharge be waived? Just can’t get to a location that AA has a flight to London operating on the same day and arrive early enough to do a transfer of airports in London for a 1pm Gatwick departure. UGH.

Original routing:
Nov 29 YEG-SEA-ORD-LHR/LGW-TFS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.