Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Personally I would choose a 2+2 configuration, rather than a 3+1, but maybe it depends on how active the children are. With a 2+2 configuration, you will get 2 sets of windows for the children (or adults!) to look out of, rather than being stuck in the middle, and nobody has to have a stranger climbing over them to get out of the window seat as you would get on a 3+1.
That would be my choice anyway.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:53 pm

I second the suggestions. Windows are important for the children! I was sitting behind a family of 6 this morning, with three children and 3 adults. 2 + 2 + 2. The kids couldn't stop screaming about what they saw out the window.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:34 am

Guys

1) Firstly, is there a 3rd party website or link on american where one can put an alert if a seat becomes available? Would like to for 8H and 8J on the LHR-JFK 777

2) I have booked well in advance so online all seats are available to me. Any suggestions? Does row 9 have a lot of free space in front? But being close to the restrooms, do you lose privacy?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by sam007
is there a 3rd party website or link on american where one can put an alert if a seat becomes available? Would like to for 8H and 8J on the LHR-JFK 777
8H and 8J are blocked for airport assignment. They never "become available", they go from blocked to assigned (or they go out empty). If you want them, get to the airport early and ask the TA or GA to assign them to you--if they're still available, they're yours. Of course, if you have a disability that somehow means you need to be near the loo or for some other reason need those seats, a call to AA's disability services folks would get those seats assigned to you in advance.

I have booked well in advance so online all seats are available to me. Any suggestions? Does row 9 have a lot of free space in front? But being close to the restrooms, do you lose privacy?
All seats have exactly the same amount of legroom. This is because the footwell/IFE insert and the seat itself are a unit, so even bulkheads have the same footwell space as non-bulkheads. I found two a.net pictures (here and here) that should sort of help demonstrate what I mean. I would suggest booking seats on the starboard side near the back if you're a couple travelling together, as you'll have less foot traffic and first choice of meals. If literally all seats are available, choose 12H and 12J. If OTOH you're travelling alone, I'd pick a centre section aisle, as there's less chance your seatmate will need to climb over you if you're sleeping (the middle seats are also the last to go, usually). On this flight, again assuming all seats are empty, I'd choose 12G.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:56 am

Your response is so complete - thank you. I'm traveling alone - how about a window seat? I only use the restroom maybe once and will stay undisturbed if my seat mate needs to use the restroom
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:05 am

Your response is so complete - thank you. I'm traveling alone - how about a window seat? I only use the restroom maybe once and will stay undisturbed if my seat mate needs to use the restroom
If you choose a window seat, you're guaranteed that no one will climb over you, but you may have to climb over someone. That gets tricky if they're lying flat. If you choose the aisle next to the window, you're pretty much guaranteed the person by the window will have to climb over you at some point.

As Microwave said, when traveling alone, aisle in the center section is nice because you have about a 50% chance of the middle person climbing over you. If you choose the one on the right side (12G), then it's actually less than 50% because the lavatories are on the left side of the plane. Sometimes, flights go out with the middle seat in the center section empty, so if you're lucky enough to have no one next to you, win-win.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin beat me to it on nearly all counts; if you're certain you want a window, take 12J--same reasons as above, as meal choice is probably the only real differentiator. Note that you are almost certain to have a seatmate if you choose a window, whereas the 5 middle seats are generally some of the last chosen (as stated), so for best odds of getting an empty adjacent seat (which is very nice when it happens--good place to put your pillow and blanket when not in use, or your shoes/laptop bag while reclined to sleep), go middle. If you must see the word as you fly by for your heart to be content, go with 12J. As my looney friend pointed out, most people will break left for both lavs and deplaning, plus FAs tend to prefer to go up and down the aircraft on the port side, so I generally choose starboard when possible. Also, and this depends on the FAs you have, the J cabin is generally split with A/B/D/E seats being served by one FA and G/H/J seats being served by the other, giving a slightly better ratio for those on the starboard side (there are 20 A/B/D/E seats vs. 17 on the G/H/J side).
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
In my experience, the automatic seat assignment tends to assign front-to-back, not including the bulkhead (which tends to be last). So, if you choose a center aisle near the back or the bulkhead, you more likely to have an empty center-center. Similarly for window-aisle pairs: the ones at the back of the cabin tend to be auto-assigned last, so if you're really lucky and the flight load is very light, you can snag both for yourself.

When traveling alone, I tend to play it safe and choose a center aisle near the back, but monitor EF for J and Y availability. If the load looks very light, I'll switch to the aisle of an aisle-window pair. At the airport, I'll ask the gate agent if it looks like I'll be able to have no one next to me. I got very lucky three times with TATL flights in 2009 and had both aisle and window to myself. A few times I was not so lucky, as even when EF showed very low loads, somehow every seat was given out as an upgrade.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
is there a 3rd party website or link on american where one can put an alert if a seat becomes available?
To provide an answer, yes, Expert Flyer offers this service. It's not free, but in my view is well worth the quite reasonable subscription cost.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, CX GLD, AMEX PLT, Hyatt PLT, Hilton GLD, Hertz GLD, SPG GLD
Best 777 Business Class Seats?

I've never flown 777 Business before, so I'm looking for seating advice. Please advise which seats are advantageous or preferred, as Seat Guru and Seat Expert list several disadvantages against my typical favourite seat in First & Business (last row left side window). Is 13A really that bad (noise from coach)? Besides seats 8 H & J which look very private & are typically under airport control, how are seats 9 A & B (bulkhead left side)? Is the lav hall lighting & traffic really an issue? Thank you all in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:02 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread has been merged into the existing thread on the topic. Since the plane's seating configuration hasn't changed, all the advice given up-thread should still be valid.

Also, for additional discussion re: row9, please see this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...they-iffy.html

/Moderator
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Even though this thread is a bit long in the tooth, it's the most appropriate for my question. And an update to this discussion is probably worthwhile. I started with wondering which J seat to pick on the B777, but now I'm wondering if opting for the B763 is a better idea.

I currently have a J MileSAAver award DCA-JFK-EZE on a B777. There are currently seats available via DFW on the B763 and MIA on the B777. I'm debating whether to change to a MIA or DFW flight. My lines of thought:

1) JFK is a longer flight affording me the opportunity to get more sleep and be able to hit the ground running at EZE. So MIA the option less desireable. I think the DFW flight is about the same duration.
2) This thread states B763 food/service is better than B777 (both for J). Is this still true? I did a B763 J flight this past August and thought the food was very good. But I'm not so sure this matters with an overnight flight.
3) MIA arrives 6:10AM. DFW arrives 8:15AM. JFK arrives 9:50AM. I lose nearly 4 hours on the ground at EZE, that would likely be used to sleep. The other drawback to the JFK flight is it appears to be late with regularity.

On either plane I plan to go with a starboard-side aisle seat.

Comments?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
The 777 seat feels noticeably bigger than the 767 seat and I would always recommend taking a center section seat on a 767 as the layout is 2-2-2 so in the center you have two aisle seats and no need for anyone to climb across anyone else.

The food is better on the 767 but only a little.

Given a free choice I'd take the 777 every time for comfort.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Even though this thread is a bit long in the tooth, it's the most appropriate for my question. And an update to this discussion is probably worthwhile. I started with wondering which J seat to pick on the B777, but now I'm wondering if opting for the B763 is a better idea.

The above two posts have been moved from a very old 2004 thread to this current thread on the topic. Please be sure to check upthread for additional recent advice.

/Moderator
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
What's better: 9A or 9J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.