Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Terminal 4 Flagship Lounge (master thread)

Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Located within the Terminal 4 Gate 40 Admirals Club

Link to LAX information on aa.com.
Link to LAX web site.

NOTE: The Flagship Lounge reopened December 2017, as part of the extensive renovations at the LAX Club and Lounge, including expanding food offerings. The Flagship Lounge is now a First and Business class lounge. Inside the Flagship Lounge is a Flagship First Dining room. Flagship First Dining is restricted to those in Flagship First class on qualifying flights that also sell business class.

Airside, after security, across from Gate 40. Enter through the Admirals Club admit desk, request Flagship Lounge key card if qualified but not offered. Take lift / elevator to Club lobby. (NB: You should be given a black card to get in,.)

Opening hours
See here for hours.

Access rules
  • Traveling First or Business Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated qualifying international* flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying or international segment
  • Traveling First or Business Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight (JFK/BOS-LAX/SFO) . Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying transcontinental segment
  • An American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Platinum customer departing on or connecting to a qualifying international* flight, operated and marketed by a oneworld airline, regardless of cabin flown
  • A oneworld First or Business Class international* customer departing on or connecting to a oneworld marketed and operated flight
  • A oneworld Emerald or Sapphire customer** departing on or connecting to any oneworld marketed and operated flight, regardless of cabin flown. Access is valid on a same day itinerary
*For the purpose of Flagship Lounge access, eligible international cities include flights traveling to or from Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Central and South America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit

**American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum customers traveling on solely North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship Lounge access. North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. OneWorld Emerald and Sapphire members who achieved status via frequent flyer programs other than American Airlines do qualify for access even when traveling on solely North American itineraries.

Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access
Qualifying oneworld Emerald and Sapphire, First Class and Business passengers are allowed one guest. Admirals Club membership alone grants no access.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary computers with Internet serviceComplimentary WiFi Internet access
  • Complimentary wireless Hotspot printing
  • Complimentary self-service extended snacks and "distinctive meal" service
  • Complimentary premium liquor, beer and wine
  • Complimentary dining area (for buffet users)
  • Complimentary Bose music / relax area with reclining seats
  • Complimentary flat screen televisions
  • Complimentary shower suites with high-end toiletries
Miscellaneous
You can now travel between the American Airlines and Legacy US Airways terminals without leaving Security via a shuttle service. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes between 5:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., with stops at Terminal 6 (Gate 65A) and Terminal 4 (down escalator by Gate 44) - or take a 10-minute walk via the connecting tunnel.

An airside shuttle bus runs from 4:00 PM from the shuttle bus terminal (down the escalator by Gate 44) to the Tom Bradley International Terminal , strictly for passengers with boarding passes departing TBIT on Qantas.

Yet another shuttle bus from ground level by Gate 44 connects to the Remote (American Eagle) terminal, with its own Club.
  • For LAX Terminal 4 Gate 40 Admirals Club, please refer to this thread
  • For the "Eagle's Nest" Admirals Club in the remote American Eagle terminal see here.
  • For the Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounge, see here.
For archived older posts see: ARCHIVE: LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Flagship Lounge (merged threads)
Print Wikipost

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Terminal 4 Flagship Lounge (master thread)

Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:41 am

I know this isn't an access thread, but I think the wiki may be wrong about access. I don't want to change it if I'm wrong though.

I am AA plat flying LAX-PEK in PE. My understanding from the AA page and other threads is that I should have flagship lounge access. The wiki above seems to indicate I must be Emerald or Explat.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lkar
I know this isn't an access thread, but I think the wiki may be wrong about access. I don't want to change it if I'm wrong though.

I am AA plat flying LAX-PEK in PE. My understanding from the AA page and other threads is that I should have flagship lounge access. The wiki above seems to indicate I must be Emerald or Explat.
The wiki above explicitly says:

"NOTE: See text box below for detailed access rules. Qualifying oneworld Emerald and Sapphire, First Class and Business passengers are allowed one guest. Admirals Club membership alone grants no access."

As an AA PLT, you are Oneworld Sapphire, ergo, you have access. Not sure what isn't clear there..

Regards
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Not sure what isn't clear there..
The text box that's referred to is contradictory:

We offer complimentary access if you are:
  • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated international* flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying international segment
  • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying transcontinental segment
  • An American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum customer departing on or connecting to an international* flight, operated and marketed by a oneworld airline, regardless of cabin flown
  • A oneworld First Class international* customer departing on or connecting to a oneworld marketed and operated flight
  • A oneworld Emerald customer** departing on or connecting to any oneworld marketed and operated flight, regardless of cabin flown. Access is valid on a same day itinerary
*For the purpose of Flagship Lounge access, eligible international cities include flights traveling to or from Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit

**American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum/Emerald customers traveling on solely North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship Lounge access. North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access
The text box seems to be based on the old flagship access rules (when it was a "first class" lounge).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
The text box that's referred to is contradictory:

The text box seems to be based on the old flagship access rules (when it was a "first class" lounge).
Right -- that was what confused me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Understandably!

But you will have access (regardless of cabin) as long as you're travelling internationally (non-AA sapphires have access on domestic too).
lkar likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Fair point. Honestly, I rarely rely on FT wikis for things like this, because as you just learned, they tend to go stale over time (in fact several of the links in that wiki lead to dead pages)

I usually go directly to the source (e.g. aa.com or oneworld.com) in order to verify things like lounge access criteria.

Regards
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Tuesday, October 9 visit

Had 4 hours here, from 10:30am to 2:30pm.

Almost every table near the buffet taken upon arrival, then the lounge got noticeably quieter as the day progressed.

Breakfast burritos delicious. ^
Sushi and Charcuterie better than ever.
Champagne still not on ice.
Bloody Mary bar below par compared to JFK and ORD.
Beef Sirloin Dip sandwiches a nice touch.
Best Oatmeal Cookie in Los Angeles.
Wall Street Journal, NY Times and LA Times newspapers in good supply.
Television volume kept low. ^
Dishes promptly cleared and friendly staff.

I like this lounge.
adambadam, kahdgar and zpaul like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We plan to get to LAX around 6pm for a 10:30 fight to AKL, 2 award seats in FJ Business so no Flagship unless they become a full Oneworld partner by February. I just saw that PF Chang now give a $60 PP credit, would it be convenient to eat there then go to the FJ lounge until boarding?

Also on the return we land at 11:30, unfortunately in coach for now (I set up alerts but leaving from CHC so limited choices), then on to DFW at 3:30 - again would PF Chang work logistically if we clear immigration and have time?

Has anyone ever had success getting AA to switch awards seats from the FJ or Tahiti Nui flights to the AA flight the day of travel; are the gates for FJ and AA anywhere near one another?

If I would be allowed to rant a tiny bit - I look everyday on aa.com for CHC-OMA J it says yes available - 80k pp through maybe MEL or BNE whatever. I hit the detail button and every leg is in coach except for DFW-OMA; so why isn’t this 65k at the very most 40k + 25k? I know this has been discussed a lot but this search always puts me is a bad mood.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know what time they start serving champagne in the FL? Um - asking for a friend...
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by marnold3
Had the chance to try Flagship First Dining at LAX today. It really is a club within a club within a club and it didn't disappoint. The Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge were both quite busy but I was the only one in FFD. Both the food and service were excellent. While enjoying a light breakfast, one of the servers asked if she could get me a newspaper. Coffee and OJ were continually refilled without my having to ask. In the future, I see no need to go to any other lounge. A friend of mine in LA told me there was an article on FFD in the business section of today's LA Times.
Here is a link to the article: https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...112-story.html

BTW, I'm usually the only one in FFD, or at most there has been one other person.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Ive noticed though that if I skip FL on my return but visit AC at the nest, they offer me drink chits. Interesting
If you are eligible to use the FL, then you are entitled to drink chits at an AC, regardless if you visited the FL or not. The eligibility for drink chits at an AC and for FL access is the same.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
the AA private dining is better than QF F. Poke appetizer and bacon wrapped scallops were delicious, and the drinks are creative.
Both the AA Flagship First Dining room and the Qantas First Class lounge have a specific menu that changes periodically (QF F menu changes quarterly, I think). Hence, one might be far more to one's liking than the other at any given time.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have been to the QF F lounge a lot and like it but think I am just fine with the AA lounge. I actually like the buffet setup a little better then than the menu setup at QF.....maybe I am just a self serve kind of guy.
There is a much wider selection at the FL buffet than there is on the menu in the QF F lounge (or at AA's FFD). There are times when the menu options don't appeal to me.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ShortDog
But there are more items on the menu at the Qantas First Lounge than on the buffet at the Flagship Lounge..
That hasn't been the case any of the times I've visited. QF F lounge has a few items in each category, while the FL buffet has many islands, each with many dishes. At a glance, the FL buffet seems to have orders of magnitude more variety than the QF F (or AA FFD) menu.

As an example, in the menu posted in #88, there are four main plates (eggplant, bass, Chinese chicken with eggplant, and a minute steak) and three sandwiches (burger, croque monsieur, and Rueben). I've dined at the QF F lounge many times over the years, and sometimes there are multiple things I love on the menu, but this menu has nothing appealing to me.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Has anyone ever had success getting AA to switch awards seats from the FJ or Tahiti Nui flights to the AA flight the day of travel
If AA opens up award space, it should be doable. If you are not EXP and hence subject to award fees, there could be a fee; i think it depends if you have any AA flights in there now, but I'm sure there's a forum with the detailed rules for that.

Originally Posted by kmandrew
If I would be allowed to rant a tiny bit - I look everyday on aa.com for CHC-OMA J it says yes available - 80k pp through maybe MEL or BNE whatever. I hit the detail button and every leg is in coach except for DFW-OMA; so why isnt this 65k at the very most 40k + 25k? I know this has been discussed a lot but this search always puts me is a bad mood.
Yes, it's super annoying. Better to use EF and set alerts for the specific legs you are willing to take.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.