Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Admirals Club CLOSE 30 DEC 2015 (master thread)

SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Admirals Club CLOSE 30 DEC 2015 (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 17, 16, 10:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Luís Muñoz Marín International Airport
Terminal D Gate D12 Admirals Club
CLOSED EFFECTIVE 30 Dec 2015

NOTE: AA flight check-in, security and gates relocated to Terminal C

Link to SJU airport information on aa.com

Link to SJU website (English)

Link to FT page on the Avianca operated by Global Lounge (SJU4) at SJU (Priority Pass, etc. terminal B-D.) Link to lounge page.

Link to SJU airport guide at sleepingatairports.net

"The Admirals Club® lounge at San Juan Luis Muñoz Marin International (SJU) will permanently close toward the end of 2015. With more than 50 Admirals Club lounges around the world, we know the Admirals Club experience makes American unique, and we're constantly looking at which lounges best serve our customers based on attendance, frequency of flights and customer demand."
E-mail sent o/a 16 Oct 2015
American Airlines Admirals Club

SPECIAL NOTICE: AA flight check-in, security and gates now in Terminal C. Please leave sufficient time for the inter-terminal walk. Security checkpoints close at 7:15 p.m. For evening flights, please allow extra time when arriving at the airport.

LOCATION: CLOSES 30 DEC 2015 EOB - Terminal D, American Airlines Concourse, after Security, across from Gate 12. Note AA now departs Terminal C.

HOURS: please see here for current hours.

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • PCs with Internet Access
  • Food for Purchase
Older posts can be found at: ARCHIVE: SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico Admirals Club (master thread)

Alternative lounge:

Avianca by Global Lounge Network / Priority Pass: https://www.loungeclub.com/en/our-lo...ge-detail/SJU4

Complimentary access: Priority Pass and Diners Club cardholders; Star Alliance Gold members; for first-class passengers on Avianca, Copa and United Airlines. $27.00 access fee for others.

Opening hours: 30 - 19:00 Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday. 04:30 - 21:00 Tuesday. 04:30 - 20:00 Thursday & Sunday.

Location: Airside - the lounge is located at the entrance of Terminal C. Pass through Security Check Point B-C and walk towards Terminal C until the ''Sala Avianca / VIP" sign can be seen, take lift to third floor.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Computers and printer
  • Television room
  • Testing room (seven recliner chaises, low light, power outlets
  • Children's area
  • Quiet area
  • Complimentary soft and alcoholic beverages
  • Complimentary Puerto Rican snacks, pastries
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 17, 16, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
There is a rather pitiful Avianca lounge there which is accessible with Priority Pass if you have it. Barely worth the time...
Old Aug 17, 16, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I agree the Priority Pass lounge at SJU isn't great, but it's not pitiful either - a few food selections (at least one hot dish IIRC), some free booze, free wifi, etc.
Old Aug 17, 16, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
What a pity. AA should do something about that.

No competitive reason for AA to do so. SJU is mostly a low-yield leisure market. The Executive Airlines (dba Eagle) hub closed years ago when the birds relocated to MIA. The CCS flight is gone as well.

SJU is a pretty sad part of AA's operation nowadays, IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 16, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am travelling to SJU soon and I understand that the Admiral's Club there has been closed. Does anyone know of an alternative lounge that can be used by AA first and business class passengers

Link to FT page on the Avianca operated by Global Lounge (SJU4) at SJU (Priority Pass, etc. terminal B-D.) Link to lounge page.

(From the Wikipost at the top of the page.)
Old Aug 17, 16, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
What a pity. AA should do something about that.
If AA thought it important to do something about that, presumably they wouldn't have closed the lounge in the first place, sadly.
Old Aug 17, 16, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
If AA thought it important to do something about that, presumably they wouldn't have closed the lounge in the first place, sadly.

AA did not close the lounge on its own initiative. There was a rent dispute with Aerostar, the private LLC that operates and manages SJU airport on behalf of the Puerto Rico Ports Authority. AA was unwilling to pay the increased rent when the contract for the club space came up for renewal. Admittedly, it was a huge, two-story club, though in my experience, quite well-visited for a club in a non-hub/focus city.
Old Aug 18, 16, 11:53 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
AA did not close the lounge on its own initiative. There was a rent dispute with Aerostar, the private LLC that operates and manages SJU airport on behalf of the Puerto Rico Ports Authority. AA was unwilling to pay the increased rent when the contract for the club space came up for renewal. Admittedly, it was a huge, two-story club, though in my experience, quite well-visited for a club in a non-hub/focus city.
While SJU is no longer an AA hub/focus city, it was one for quite a long time. In spite of the Americanization of Puerto Rico in many respects, there is a certain part of Puerto Rican culture that remains, at heart, very, very Latin American. A certain segment of Puerto Rican society is willing (indeed, perhaps more than happy) to spend a percentage of its resources insulating itself from everything (and more to the point everyone) not like them. There is always a market there for gated communities, private clubs, private schools, and a clean, well lighted place to wait for your flight (remember, it's an island, so people have to fly to go anywhere), far from the crowds. It's snobby, pretentious, and all too easy to be horrified or make fun of (or both). It's also a quickly dying reality these days, perhaps embodied by things like the AC, once well-visited, now gone.

Anyway, just my .02.
Old Jun 14, 17, 10:25 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dpb132 View Post
I agree the Priority Pass lounge at SJU isn't great, but it's not pitiful either - a few food selections (at least one hot dish IIRC), some free booze, free wifi, etc.
Has anyone tried the Avianca / Priority Pass Lounge at SJU recently? I may have some time to kill tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Please do. I'll be there in August and will be curious to hear your report.
Old Jun 14, 17, 3:59 pm

We have a 5 hour layover (used to spend all that time in AA Admirals Club) - is there a lounge that we can use that has a day pass deal?
Old Jun 14, 17, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm in San Juan this weekend and definitely miss having an AC there. Guess I'll just be at the beach/pool until the very last minute
Old Jun 15, 17, 4:10 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Has anyone tried the Avianca / Priority Pass Lounge at SJU recently? I may have some time to kill tomorrow.
We were there in March. Open bar, light snacks and -- if I recall correctly -- one hot food item (pasta?).

Not one of the best lounges in the world, but definitely not a bad place to wait for a flight.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:37 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
We were there in March. Open bar, light snacks and -- if I recall correctly -- one hot food item (pasta?).

Not one of the best lounges in the world, but definitely not a bad place to wait for a flight.
So, I was there yesterday. This is basically correct. The hot item at lunch was Carnitas over Rice so there were two heaters out. There was also a salad including pasta salad and some small sandwiches (tuna and ham). I think there was also a soup, but I didn't see what it was. The open bar was OK but kind of basic. I'd rate it on par with (but smaller than) the AA lounge at LHR but way below the BA lounge at PHL or the Iberia lounge at Madrid or the KLM lounge at AMS or so on.

Search this Thread