Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Admirals Club CLOSE 30 DEC 2015 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Luís Muñoz Marín International Airport
Terminal D Gate D12 Admirals Club
CLOSED EFFECTIVE 30 Dec 2015

NOTE: AA flight check-in, security and gates relocated to Terminal C

Link to SJU airport information on aa.com

Link to SJU website (English)

Link to FT page on the Avianca operated by Global Lounge (SJU4) at SJU (Priority Pass, etc. terminal B-D.) Link to lounge page.

Link to SJU airport guide at sleepingatairports.net

"The Admirals Club® lounge at San Juan Luis Muñoz Marin International (SJU) will permanently close toward the end of 2015. With more than 50 Admirals Club lounges around the world, we know the Admirals Club experience makes American unique, and we're constantly looking at which lounges best serve our customers based on attendance, frequency of flights and customer demand."
E-mail sent o/a 16 Oct 2015
American Airlines Admirals Club

SPECIAL NOTICE: AA flight check-in, security and gates now in Terminal C. Please leave sufficient time for the inter-terminal walk. Security checkpoints close at 7:15 p.m. For evening flights, please allow extra time when arriving at the airport.

LOCATION: CLOSES 30 DEC 2015 EOB - Terminal D, American Airlines Concourse, after Security, across from Gate 12. Note AA now departs Terminal C.

HOURS: please see here for current hours.

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
  • PCs with Internet Access
  • Food for Purchase
Older posts can be found at: ARCHIVE: SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico Admirals Club (master thread)

Alternative lounge:

Avianca by Global Lounge Network / Priority Pass: https://www.loungeclub.com/en/our-lo...ge-detail/SJU4

Complimentary access: Priority Pass and Diners Club cardholders; Star Alliance Gold members; for first-class passengers on Avianca, Copa and United Airlines. $27.00 access fee for others.

Opening hours: 30 - 19:00 Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday. 04:30 - 21:00 Tuesday. 04:30 - 20:00 Thursday & Sunday.

Location: Airside - the lounge is located at the entrance of Terminal C. Pass through Security Check Point B-C and walk towards Terminal C until the ''Sala Avianca / VIP" sign can be seen, take lift to third floor.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Computers and printer
  • Television room
  • Testing room (seven recliner chaises, low light, power outlets
  • Children's area
  • Quiet area
  • Complimentary soft and alcoholic beverages
  • Complimentary Puerto Rican snacks, pastries
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, Admirals Club CLOSE 30 DEC 2015 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:03 am

I'm not surprised, once they made all the cuts from SJU that place needed to be let go. Too large for no reason.

I wonder who takes over the space? It's just so large.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Huge bummer. The staff there are so friendly, and I really like the space - every time I visit I feel like I'm sitting in the Golden Girls' living room.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Huge bummer. The staff there are so friendly, and I really like the space - every time I visit I feel like I'm sitting in the Golden Girls' living room.
Totally bummed. I was looking forward to post-cruise recovery there in December.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Reminds me of the UA Club in HNL. Golden Girls for sure.

But really, what's with all the cuts to the Club network? If this is how AA is going to operate its airport clubs while they're making money hand over foot, I wonder what happens to the club network when another recession hits.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Horrible idea. The SJU terminal is miserable, and the AC was small, but good. It made trips to SJU more tolerable. This means that nowhere in the Caribbean will have a club.

If they start pulling too many more clubs, I'd have to reconsider my AC membership, unless the cost also scaled appropriately (which ain't gonna happen).
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Horrible idea. The SJU terminal is miserable, and the AC was small, but good. It made trips to SJU more tolerable. This means that nowhere in the Caribbean will have a club.

If they start pulling too many more clubs, I'd have to reconsider my AC membership, unless the cost also scaled appropriately (which ain't gonna happen).
+1
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Sad to see it close, but it doesn't surprised me. I think it was about 3-4 years ago when they closed the second floor. AA has really downsized in SJU a lot, giving way to B6 and now WN. The staff there is one of the friendliest that I've ever seen, they always recognized me all the time, since I go there at least bi-monthly. Wonder what will happen to the location, but with all the re-modeling going on at the airport, who knows. I do agree that the terminal by itself is a dump, not much around there, but I do think that some sort of club is certainly needed. There is 1 ORD, CLT, DFW, JFK & PHL flight, at least 4 MIA flights, and this is not counting some of the seasonal frequencies from CLT and PHL. Seems to me there is a bit of flow in there, maybe a smaller club.

Last edited by arollins; Oct 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
SJU / San Juan, Puerto Rico, int'l. Airport Admirals Club (master thread)

I think there's a Priority Pass lounge in C?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bchandler02

I agree. Really SJU has multiple flights to hubs (PHX not sure about) and AA stills has a fairly sizable presence at SJU. How can the world's largest airline be shrinking its club base instead of expanding it.

A nice little AC with a great staff. Sad, really said.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Expect the smaller LUS clubs to go next, like BDL and BUF, both pleasant clubs and nice to have to those smaller airports. Eventually the huge club at PIT will have to go too. Remember, this is a race to the bottom.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: EXP
The closing was most likely caused by increased cost of lease by new airport operator/owner Aerostar. They were asking for too much for the lease.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcbec
The closing was most likely caused by increased cost of lease by new airport operator/owner Aerostar. They were asking for too much for the lease.
That club was on life-support anyway, and economic conditions down there, etc-- it's amazing it lasted this long after AA cut back so substantially in SJU.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by arollins
Sad to see it close, but it doesn't surprised me. I think it was about 3-4 years ago when they closed the second floor. AA has really downsized in SJU a lot, giving way to B6 and now WN. The staff there is one of the friendliest that I've ever seen, they always recognized me all the time, since I go there at least bi-monthly. Wonder what will happen to the location, but with all the re-modeling going on at the airport, who knows. I do agree that the terminal by itself is a dump, not much around there, but I do think that some sort of club is certainly needed. There is 1 ORD, CLT, DFW, JFK & PHL flight, at least 4 MIA flights, and this is not counting some of the seasonal frequencies from CLT and PHL. Seems to me there is a bit of flow in there, maybe a smaller club.
US has always had 3 dailies from CLT and PHL depending on the time of year. Is it really down to one flight from each to SJU?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Expect the smaller LUS clubs to go next, like BDL and BUF, both pleasant clubs and nice to have to those smaller airports. Eventually the huge club at PIT will have to go too. Remember, this is a race to the bottom.
BUF closes as of 11/1. I say that PIT, GSO, BDL, BNA, TPA and even STL are not safe. OT here but in reality AA should be looking to expand the AC base-FLL, MCO, BWI, IAH, MSP, DTW, IAD (reopen).
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
BUF closes as of 11/1. I say that PIT, GSO, BDL, BNA, TPA and even STL are not safe. OT here but in reality AA should be looking to expand the AC base-FLL, MCO, BWI, IAH, MSP, DTW, IAD (reopen).
Well that sucks, I hadn't heard that about BUF. And yes, clubs at BWI, IAH, and an IAD re-open would be big for me. All my visits to the DC area are usually Reston/metro. Tough to fly to DCA every time and make that drive, especially now that connections to IAD from ORD can go through CLT or PHL. Done both and it's great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.