Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AVIS President's Club, Hilton Diamond
Use 40k AA miles or 3,000 BE points? Your thoughts?

Background:
16,736 BE points current balance
2,477 BE points are expiring at end of 2018
I am AA EXP with 25,158 EQD an 131,522 EQM for 2018
Over 2 million lifetime miles. Over 1 million award miles left to spend

Scenario:
4 of us going to Hawaii in March 2019
I have 4 confirmed seats DFW-OGG 20,000 AA miles x 4 people = 80,000 miles going and 4 confirmed seats OGG-DFW 20,000 AA miles x 4 people = 80,000 miles returning = 160,000 miles total for all 4 of us. I worked very hard over a long period of time to research and find and book these. You know how hard that is for Spring Break to Hawaii.
BX2A PlanAhead NorthAmerica & Hawaii is 3,000 points per person x 4 people = 12,000 points

Decision:
keep Door #1 : spend the 160,000 miles as these are cheap 40k miles roundtrip per person
or go for Door #2 : spend the 12,000 points for DFW-OGG roundtrip. BE desk and EXP desk said no problem returning 160k miles to me and BE desk can convert to BE award. ( I know there is discussion below about them not being or being in the same buckets but these two agents agree it was doable, but that is not the discussion )

Discussion:
I say keep door #1 . These are 40k per person roundtrip. If these were 80k or 120k or 180k per person roundtrip, then that would be a different story. 40k is much less valuable then 3,000 BE points
BE currency is MUCH more valuable than AA miles currency

Your thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flytastic
I say keep door #1 . These are 40k per person roundtrip. If these were 80k or 120k or 180k per person roundtrip, then that would be a different story. 40k is much less valuable then 3,000 BE points
BE currency is MUCH more valuable than AA miles currency.
I would use the miles as well, although if you have some BE points expiring and no other use for them then maybe book one of the tickets with BE points and the other 3 with miles?

That said, are your mileage tickets already booked or just on hold? If they're booked, I would triple check with the agents again on if it's even possible to just "switch" the award to BE points from AA miles (I'm doubting this). In order to technically do this and get your miles redeposited you'd need to cancel the awards, and there's no guarantee and I certainly wouldn't plan on the award space going back to inventory, so that you could then book the award using BE points. Maybe a good EXP agent can work some magic but again I'd be cautious.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nonalee197
Just found out I can book awards online now. Nice!! Check out business.aa.com.
I can find the plan ahead awards on the calendar, but they disappear when I get to the select flight screen. Looks like its not very accurate yet.

Last edited by olouie; Dec 2, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Nonalee197
Just found out I can book awards online now. Nice!! Check out business.aa.com.
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I plan on using expiring Business Extra points to maintain Gold status for next year. I understand I have to use the points before the end of the year to prevent them from expiring. However, I am currently Platinum (very little flying this year, so without BE I would drop to no status). Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program regarding whether my current Platinum status would be affected by redeeming this award? That is, would this somehow cause me to drop from Platinum to Gold right aware? Or can I expect to retain Platinum through the end of January and drop to Gold February 1?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flytastic
Background:
16,736 BE points current balance
2,477 BE points are expiring at end of 2018
I am AA EXP with 25,158 EQD an 131,522 EQM for 2018
Over 2 million lifetime miles. Over 1 million award miles left to spend

Scenario:
4 of us going to Hawaii in March 2019
I have 4 confirmed seats DFW-OGG 20,000 AA miles x 4 people = 80,000 miles going and 4 confirmed seats OGG-DFW 20,000 AA miles x 4 people = 80,000 miles returning = 160,000 miles total for all 4 of us. I worked very hard over a long period of time to research and find and book these. You know how hard that is for Spring Break to Hawaii.
BX2A PlanAhead NorthAmerica & Hawaii is 3,000 points per person x 4 people = 12,000 points

Decision:
keep Door #1 : spend the 160,000 miles as these are cheap 40k miles roundtrip per person
or go for Door #2 : spend the 12,000 points for DFW-OGG roundtrip. BE desk and EXP desk said no problem returning 160k miles to me and BE desk can convert to BE award. ( I know there is discussion below about them not being or being in the same buckets but these two agents agree it was doable, but that is not the discussion )

Discussion:
BE currency is MUCH more valuable than AA miles currency

Your thoughts?
If you have 2477 BE points expiring at the end of the year, I would get the 3000 mile award for one person.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you have 2477 BE points expiring at the end of the year, I would get the 3000 mile award for one person.
Of course, that will leading to seating and other issues if they aren't elite.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I have a quick question, can I use my BXP1 certificate for my sister in law and present the original at my local airport (MIA) instead of hers (LGA)?. TIA

Fed
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I know this has been answered here - but just wanted to triple check - BXP3's work the same exact way as SWUs right? Same priority, automatic reticketing, etc correct? Literally the same instruments in the eyes of AA (assuming of course the applicable fare code has been booked to use?)

I am headed to Shanghai for the holidays and trying to upgrade from PE to J and one way is still waitlisted. I called the EXP desk who told me SWUs take priority over BXP3 which I am pretty sure is not the case. However since I will be traveling from China to the USA (on 1/1 which will be a rough day as is) I did not want to risk and swapped the BXP3 for a SWU. Was that a mistake? This was an SWU expiring Jan '20 whereas the BXP3 expires in May '19 - clearly I would like to use whatever expires first if all else is equal. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:35 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I know this has been answered here - but just wanted to triple check - BXP3's work the same exact way as SWUs right? Same priority, automatic reticketing, etc correct? Literally the same instruments in the eyes of AA (assuming of course the applicable fare code has been booked to use?)

I am headed to Shanghai for the holidays and trying to upgrade from PE to J and one way is still waitlisted. I called the EXP desk who told me SWUs take priority over BXP3 which I am pretty sure is not the case. However since I will be traveling from China to the USA (on 1/1 which will be a rough day as is) I did not want to risk and swapped the BXP3 for a SWU. Was that a mistake? This was an SWU expiring Jan '20 whereas the BXP3 expires in May '19 - clearly I would like to use whatever expires first if all else is equal. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
Apparently, BXPs have been knocked down a bunch of pegs, and are mostly worthless. I tried to redeem a BXP1 on a flight that had an empty J cabin, and was still waitlisted. Suffice it to say I never got the upgrade, so I made AA refund me the fare difference I paid for the privilege of being jerked around.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by uxb

Apparently, BXPs have been knocked down a bunch of pegs, and are mostly worthless. I tried to redeem a BXP1 on a flight that had an empty J cabin, and was still waitlisted. Suffice it to say I never got the upgrade, so I made AA refund me the fare difference I paid for the privilege of being jerked around.
Wow! Have other people had the same experience? I am wondering if I should just burn this on a J to F upgrade (which I dont like to do but may be best use)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We opted to use a bxp3 for j to f upgrade lax to hkg.. points were expiring so it seemed like the best use.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I'm planning on opening a new BE account. Does anyone know if there are any active promos or referral codes that offer a signup bonus? Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:20 am

Thanks for the feedback here. One more question - if there is confirmable upgrade space on a flight can I use a BXP3 now to confirm even if the flight is after the expiration date on the cert?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:27 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by fedechat
I have a quick question, can I use my BXP1 certificate for my sister in law and present the original at my local airport (MIA) instead of hers (LGA)?. TIA

Fed
You no longer need to present the paper certificate. Just call Business Extraa to upgrade your SIL and give them the certificate number. You should have no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.