Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That sounds terribly wrong. You should be charged the same taxes and fees when using a BE award as a normal AAdvantage award (definitely no YQ on AA metal).

Looking at aa.com, a dummy award booking in business using AA to LHR then BA to TLS comes back with $165 in taxes/fees round trip. Have you already booked it? I would for sure call back to get the taxes recalculated and a refund if you've already booked it.

Whenever I book BE awards, I always put the flights on hold at aa.com then call Meeting Services to have it ticketed as a BE award. That way there's no question as to the flights, taxes, etc.
I spoke to Meeting Services twice, and the rate desk. Every Business Partner award prices out like this. Even with AA flights over the Atlantic, adding a BA connection in Europe makes the entire thing price out as if was all BA, so with YQ it is $1200-1350. I even tried Iberia, and it prices out to over $1100.

This essentially makes this award useless. It’s much cheaper to book an AA business anytime from USA to Europe, then a separate intra Europe ticket. The problem with this is I have to collect and recheck bags when arriving in Europe, then again on the way back.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jgsx

I spoke to Meeting Services twice, and the rate desk. Every Business Partner award prices out like this. Even with AA flights over the Atlantic, adding a BA connection in Europe makes the entire thing price out as if was all BA, so with YQ it is $1200-1350. I even tried Iberia, and it prices out to over $1100.

This essentially makes this award useless. It’s much cheaper to book an AA business anytime from USA to Europe, then a separate intra Europe ticket. The problem with this is I have to collect and recheck bags when arriving in Europe, then again on the way back.
Did you try what the other poster said, and try putting an award on hold on aa.com (with the correct, lower taxes and fees), then calling to ticket as a BE award?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:22 am

This is my recent experience as well that partner awards price out with the higher fuel, even if your long haul segments are on American Airlines metal. This wasn't always the case. When partner awards were first introduced I booked multiple partner awards staying on American Airlines metal on the long haul segment and was only charged the AA fuel/taxes. This was a couple years ago, however.

Keep in mind though that partner awards are anytime awards. A business class partner award to Europe is 14,000 points and includes intra-Europe flights that may be needed. An Anytime award is 18,000 points and would need to be on American metal only. No one in their right mind would redeem an Anytime award if the you could capture the lower fuel on a partner award as it's less miles. You just need to make the decision if the point savings and regional flights are worth the approximately $1,000 extra cash co-pay (or for an extra 2,000 points and $1,000 you can be in first class on a partner award versus an Anytime business award).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Did you try what the other poster said, and try putting an award on hold on aa.com (with the correct, lower taxes and fees), then calling to ticket as a BE award?
I did. I got a very helpful agent that tried her best. The pricing is not the same as normal mileage awards.

It looks like with partner awards, the full YR fuel surcharge exists even if flying AA metal over the ocean. That alone is just over $1000, taking this to just under $1300 total.

The AAnytime (BX63) award on AA metal is just under $300 in fees.

So sadly, this partner award (BP03) isn't of much use.

As mrfussion pointed out, Partner BP03 is 14k points with high fuel surcharges, or AA Anytime BX63 is 18k points + Partner Intra-Euro BP40 for 6k.
So 14k points with high fuel surcharge, or 24k points on two tickets (need to recheck bags), and low fuel surcharge.

Last edited by jgsx; Jul 31, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mrfussion
Keep in mind though that partner awards are anytime awards. A business class partner award to Europe is 14,000 points and includes intra-Europe flights that may be needed. An Anytime award is 18,000 points and would need to be on American metal only. No one in their right mind would redeem an Anytime award if the you could capture the lower fuel on a partner award as it's less miles. You just need to make the decision if the point savings and regional flights are worth the approximately $1,000 extra cash co-pay (or for an extra 2,000 points and $1,000 you can be in first class on a partner award versus an Anytime business award).
Originally Posted by jgsx
I did. I got a very helpful agent that tried her best. The pricing is not the same as normal mileage awards.

It looks like with partner awards, the full YR fuel surcharge exists even if flying AA metal over the ocean. That alone is just over $1000, taking this to just under $1300 total.

The AAnytime (BX63) award on AA metal is just under $300 in fees.

So sadly, this partner award (BP03) isn't of much use.

As mrfussion pointed out, Partner BP03 is 14k points with high fuel surcharges, or AA Anytime BX63 is 18k points + Partner Intra-Euro BP40 for 6k.
So 14k points with high fuel surcharge, or 24k points on two tickets (need to recheck bags), and low fuel surcharge.
This doesn't look right.

AAnytime awards have never been valid on partner metal and cannot include any segments on a carrier other than AA. If true, then this hypothetical 'partner AAnytime' to Europe would cost 14k while the stand alone AA only AAnytime would cost 18k, which makes no sense at all, regardless of taxes/fees.

The partner awards include sAAver space (just like every other partner award), the correct calculation should be a 14k partner award compared to a 7.2k AA sAAver to Europe + 6k partner award intra-Europe.

If you're flying AA metal to Europe then the partner awards rarely if ever make sense, as you're essentially spending almost double the points to add intra Europe flight(s) on BA or IB which can be purchased for $200-300 all day long (in coach, granted).

The BE partner awards have always seemed like a total ripoff based on the points they require, hence the very limited discussion and datapoints on here.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This doesn't look right.

AAnytime awards have never been valid on partner metal and cannot include any segments on a carrier other than AA. If true, then this hypothetical 'partner AAnytime' to Europe would cost 14k while the stand alone AA only AAnytime would cost 18k, which makes no sense at all, regardless of taxes/fees.

The partner awards include sAAver space (just like every other partner award), the correct calculation should be a 14k partner award compared to a 7.2k AA sAAver to Europe + 6k partner award intra-Europe.

If you're flying AA metal to Europe then the partner awards rarely if ever make sense, as you're essentially spending almost double the points to add intra Europe flight(s) on BA or IB which can be purchased for $200-300 all day long (in coach, granted).

The BE partner awards have always seemed like a total ripoff based on the points they require, hence the very limited discussion and datapoints on here.
This is correct.

I only use Anytime awards, since PlanAhead doesn't have enough availability.

An Anytime BX63 Business award is 18000 points for North America to Europe. It only works on AA metal. Books into J.
Taxes and Fees come out to under $300 to LHR because of the high LHR to USA tax. It can be under $100 for somewhere like USA to Madrid. No high YR fuel surcharge

A Partner BP03 Business award is 14000 points for North America to Europe. It works on AA, BA and IB. Requires at least one BA or IB segment. Books into J on AA (so essentially an Anytime) and R on partner intra-euro.
There is a YR fuel surcharge, even if flying on AA metal over the Atlantic. So taxes and fees are ~$1100-$1300.

A Partner BP40 Business award is 6000 points intra-Euro. It works on BA and IB.

So an Anytime BP63 + BP40 is 18000 + 6000 = 24000 points, with no major YR charge. But two separate PNRs, so need to recheck bags.
A Partner award gives same J availability, and is 14000 points, but with a major YR charge.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:59 pm

JJeffrey -- partner awards do have anytime availability for American, British, and Iberia. I have booked many and can tell you this from experience. They are not limited to saver space and a "total ripoff". I think they have pretty good value if I need to fly British anyway (sometimes I've needed the early BA LAX-LHR flight to make a same day connection at LHR, and I'd much rather pay the taxes/fees than spend the night). As was discussed already, the downside is partner awards incur taxes/fees comparable to what you'd pay on a British Airways award regardless of if your long haul segment is on American.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrfussion
JJeffrey -- partner awards do have anytime availability for American, British, and Iberia. I have booked many and can tell you this from experience. They are not limited to saver space and a "total ripoff". I think they have pretty good value if I need to fly British anyway (sometimes I've needed the early BA LAX-LHR flight to make a same day connection at LHR, and I'd much rather pay the taxes/fees than spend the night). As was discussed already, the downside is partner awards incur taxes/fees comparable to what you'd pay on a British Airways award regardless of if your long haul segment is on American.
Interesting...

If this is correct, I'd also find this to be pretty good value...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
New bonus points promotion:Earn double Business Extra points when you fly nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Buenos Aires (EZE) through June 30, 2019.
  • Register for the promotion between August 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 with the promotion code LAXEZE18
  • Complete qualifying nonstop travel between August 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 between Los Angeles (LAX) and Buenos Aires (EZE)
Promotion is valid for travel on purchased, eligible, published-fare tickets on eligible flights booked in eligible fare classes for travel on (1) American Airlines (2) British Airways and Iberia, ticketed on American Airlines (001), British Airways (125), and Iberia (075) ticket stock.

To qualify for the bonus offer, the company must be enrolled in the Business Extra program and register for the promotion between August 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 using promotion code LAXEZE18.

The company must register using promotion code LAXEZE18, and then book and fly by June 30, 2019 to be eligible for the bonus.

Qualifying nonstop travel between Los Angeles (LAX) and Buenos Aires (EZE) completed between August 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019 will be eligible for double points.

Bonus offer valid only on nonstop segments Los Angeles (LAX) and Buenos Aires (EZE), and does not extend to connecting segments.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by swag
My monthly summary email today contained this:

It really was a quick survey, asking what sort of communication content from Business Extra I find most valuable. So happy to get the extra free 500 points.

I'm not sure if this was targeted or not, but those of you who normally don't bother reading these emails, may want to take a closer look now.
Anyone have their free 500 points post?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
Anyone have their free 500 points post?
Nope.

And the sooner, the better, as I am 450 points away from a BXP3... which I am ready to use for a trip later this year.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:39 am

Have BE points for July posted for anyone yet? None of my flights posted.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by rumboj
Have BE points for July posted for anyone yet? None of my flights posted.

None of mine flights have posted. Nor have my points from the survey. Why do I get the feeling the operation is run by one person who decided to go to the beach this month?
rumboj likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
None of mine flights have posted. Nor have my points from the survey. Why do I get the feeling the operation is run by one person who decided to go to the beach this month?
I get that feeling too.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The typewriter used to credit points ran out of ribbon. There will now be a meeting in Dallas to review options to present at the official meeting about how this can impact the bottom line and if the delivery of replacement parts should be delayed in the interest of saving costs.
aktchi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.