Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:10 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
BXP1 12-month expiration (not June/Dec)

I just redeemed a paper one on 2/5 that was not shipped until 2/13 for some reason. Noticed it has an expiration date of 2/28/2019 rather than the expected December or June date.

Moot now if they are moving to electronic, but will be interested to know what the expiration date is on these new electronic BXP1s.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by dstan

Moot now if they are moving to electronic, but will be interested to know what the expiration date is on these new electronic BXP1s.
Terms and conditions says:
Upgrade awards expire one year from award redemption date. Travel must be completed by the expiration date, which is listed on the award redemption confirmation.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I just called and applied BXP1 cert to my reservation.
The agent told me it took a while to see the upgrade request online.
Is that normal?
She said she removed an existing complementary upgrade request first then put the BXP1 upgrade request.
My reservation still says "complementary upgrade requested"
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I just called and applied BXP1 cert to my reservation.
The agent told me it took a while to see the upgrade request online.
Is that normal?
She said she removed an existing complementary upgrade request first then put the BXP1 upgrade request.
My reservation still says "complementary upgrade requested"
I'm pretty sure AA.com is incapable of displaying BXP1 requests. Even with the upgrade waitlisted/requested, the website may continue to show either a complimentary upgrade requested or simply "not available" (or something to that effect).
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chicago747
Quick question. I'm flying today and used a BXP1 months ago to upgrade. In the past I always had to check in at the airport. Low and behold today they app let me check in. I have a mobile boarding pass and also a printed one. I've never been able to do this....has this ever happened to anyone else? I usually find when there is an anomaly...even one that is in my favor, when it comes to airplane tickets it usually means something is screwed up.

Everything looks correct. I called a few days after the upgrades were cleared and they confirmed the upgrades were processed correctly, tickets reissued, and indeed have seats in 1st. I'd rather just go straight thru security and hand over the BXP1's to the gate agent/admirals club agent if I can, versus standing in the check-in line. That can be a pain on a Friday afternoon at O'hare.

Thanks for any thoughts!
This might no longer apply if the new electronic BXP1s are indeed in place...but a "glitch" or "feature" of the paper BXP1 certificates is that in the event of a schedule change causing a ticket reissue, the OLCI block added by Meeting Services when confirming the BXP1 "falls off" the reservation, thereby enabling the traveler to OLCI and (theoretically) never have to surrender the certificate.

For folks who are interested, my understanding of how this works is that when Meeting Services confirms your upgrade, they merely book the C space, without reissuing the ticket into C (as is the case for SWUs or miles+copay upgrades), and add the OLCI block to ensure that you turn in the certificate at the airport. However, when a schedule change occurs, the ticket goes through the auto reissue process and somehow gets reissued into C, instead of merely having a "booking" for C. With that, the OLCI block goes away, presumably since the ticket has been "properly" reissued. Not sure if/how this applies for ticket reissues triggered by other circumstances requiring human review, such as making changes to other flights in the itinerary.

Again, not sure how the reported new electronic BXP1s will affect this "feature".
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
This might no longer apply if the new electronic BXP1s are indeed in place...but a "glitch" or "feature" of the paper BXP1 certificates is that in the event of a schedule change causing a ticket reissue, the OLCI block added by Meeting Services when confirming the BXP1 "falls off" the reservation, thereby enabling the traveler to OLCI and (theoretically) never have to surrender the certificate.

For folks who are interested, my understanding of how this works is that when Meeting Services confirms your upgrade, they merely book the C space, without reissuing the ticket into C (as is the case for SWUs or miles+copay upgrades), and add the OLCI block to ensure that you turn in the certificate at the airport. However, when a schedule change occurs, the ticket goes through the auto reissue process and somehow gets reissued into C, instead of merely having a "booking" for C. With that, the OLCI block goes away, presumably since the ticket has been "properly" reissued. Not sure if/how this applies for ticket reissues triggered by other circumstances requiring human review, such as making changes to other flights in the itinerary.

Again, not sure how the reported new electronic BXP1s will affect this "feature".
That is exactly right, however, a number of months back they put a fix in place to sort of deal with the schedule change/re-issue/OLCI block problem. Starting sometime in 2017 or maybe earlier whenever a PNR/Ticket that was 'owned' by meeting services experienced a schedule change or other re-issue, the record was flagged for a manual review by a meeting services rep because the ticket needed to re-issue in original boarding class not the C or A inventory...along with correcting the re-issue they also many times remembered to put the OLCI block back in place. This largely caught most of the reservations that experienced the OLCI falling off the record although some still fell through the cracks.

Here's how the process works now that BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 and issued electronically. The redemption of BE points for the certificate is still done via the website but now instead of a paper certificate being mailed out an e-mail is sent to the BE customer (btw: the e-mail is hard coded to be the e-mail on file for the BE account) with a unique electronic code. Upon booking a BE upgrade the electronic code is verified by the mtg svcs rep and is flagged as used in their database. Then the upgrade is confirmed just as it was done before (but as you have stated, BE upgrade tickets are never reissued as to preserve the original booking class/code). The only difference is that they are no longer supposed to add the OLCI block. When cancelling or removing an electronic BE upgrade it is imperative to remind the mtg svcs rep flag the upgrade code as unused in their database especially since this is a new process. So remember it used to be a simple process to cancel or change a reservation with a BE applied upgrade (just click cancel on the website) but now those cancellations need to be done by phone with mtg svcs to 'return' the upgrade to the database. Once a BE upgrade is applied any future changes to the PNR have to be done by mtg svcs.

I will say that of the two electronic BXP1 that I have used so far, one still had the OLCI block which had to be resolved at the airport....so I imagine as with anything the learning curve on that will take time.

So the good news is there ***should*** no longer an OCLI block but the bad news is the chance to "re-used" uncollected BXP certs will become a thing of the past.

The other really bad news is that often I would also request many more BE upgrades than I actually had. In fact, if the space was available I would confirm the upgrade as there was no penalty if I decided no longer to use it at the last minute (for those that didn't know mtg svcs policy was always that they would readily remove the upgrade and restore you to your original cabin and booking class - even if the inventory of booking code was no longer available!) Then as travel dates became closer I would decide whether to remove the BE upgrade based on if I still had any certs, load in the J cabin or whether I would rather try for a complimentary EXP upgrade. The only downside was risking a slightly worse seat assignment in the original cabin. This method worked even better once upgrade request time became less important on the upgrade list. Now it seems BXPs are more like SWUs, in that once they are used or checked out they cannot be used again until the upgrade is cancelled or returned to the database. So this is a real blow as it was nice to be able to gobble up multiple upgrades and then decide which one to use closer to flight time.

Additional bad news is that with the old paper certs you would often get more than a year (sometimes up to 18+ months) of certificate validity whereas now it is much closer to just a single year.

Lastly, they are still using the old process (with OLCI block) for existing BXP-1 paper certs until they are all out of circulation (which I think will either be Feb or June of 2019).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Additional bad news is that with the old paper certs you would often get more than a year (sometimes up to 18+ months) of certificate validity whereas now it is much closer to just a single year.
True, I always had one in my drawer for last minute flights but I rarely requested these preemptively (before I had a flight booked with available C inventory). Now there is no risk of booking a last minute flight and not having time to get one so unless you use one and then cx the flight (certainly possible) there should be less breakage on our end. Once the OLCI block is solved and finding C inventory isn't like hunting for a unicorn I'll be happy.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting experience this morning. Called meeting svcs to apply a paper BXP1. Agent took the details and applied the cert and then said it was now electronic and there was no need to bring the cert to the airport. I've never seen this before...
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Interesting experience this morning. Called meeting svcs to apply a paper BXP1. Agent took the details and applied the cert and then said it was now electronic and there was no need to bring the cert to the airport. I've never seen this before...
I also called in to apply a paper BXP1 yesterday and the agent said the process had changed just a few days ago and this was the first time she had applied one the new way. It sounded like she was doing more to explicitly tie the certificate to the reservation, instead of simply earmarking it like they previously seemed to do.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jona970318
Speaking with meeting services now. Apparently they had a procedure change a few days ago and BXP1 certificates are now electronic!
Not sure if they still need to collect the paper ones from the past
Interesting to hear this-not my experience yesterday @ PHX (though, to be fair, as they themselves pointed out, most of the TA's there are LUS & 'know nothing about this program'), nor was that what meeting services told me earlier in the week when I had them on the phone to upgrade one of my staff.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
My issue is being required to pay a $200 per ticket change fee when upfaring to a class of economy where a BXP1 can be used, especially since it is so difficult to specify a booking class when purchasing a ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by dickinson
My issue is being required to pay a $200 per ticket change fee when upfaring to a class of economy where a BXP1 can be used, especially since it is so difficult to specify a booking class when purchasing a ticket.
There shouldn't be a $200 per ticket change fee, unless you're booking through a travel agent who charges it regardless. If you want to have AA do it directly, just make sure to mention the actual word upfare...I believe there is actually an upfare code that they put into the system when re-issuing the ticket that should waive the change fee. Travel agents should be able to do this, as well in SABRE.

You can also call Reservations and request a fare in a particular fare bucket.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
There shouldn't be a $200 per ticket change fee, unless you're booking through a travel agent who charges it regardless. If you want to have AA do it directly, just make sure to mention the actual word upfare...I believe there is actually an upfare code that they put into the system when re-issuing the ticket that should waive the change fee. Travel agents should be able to do this, as well in SABRE.

You can also call Reservations and request a fare in a particular fare bucket.
I booked the ticket on the AA website, there was no other party involved. I tried twice, once on the reservations line and once with Business Extra customer service, and both times was told the change fee is waived only when upfaring to first class, not to another class of economy. This fee had not been charged to me in the past, so it may be a recent change. I don't complain on this board a lot, but I really feel this charge is excessive and unreasonable.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:28 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by dickinson
I booked the ticket on the AA website, there was no other party involved. I tried twice, once on the reservations line and once with Business Extra customer service, and both times was told the change fee is waived only when upfaring to first class, not to another class of economy. This fee had not been charged to me in the past, so it may be a recent change. I don't complain on this board a lot, but I really feel this charge is excessive and unreasonable.
HUACA

That's not right. You should be able to do this with the Business Extra desk for no change fee.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
HUACA

That's not right. You should be able to do this with the Business Extra desk for no change fee.
Both of my calls were within the last 24 hours. On both I was on hold for a long time while the agent priced the upfare. So I did try the call back route, and believe there has been a policy change recently implemented. Not much point in trying to use these BXP1 upgrades when asked to pay $200 per ticket in addition to the fare difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.