Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Anyone else seeing that Business Extra is down for a couple of days, until end of day Texas time, 11/14? Maintenance or something...worse?
might be legit maintenance, that website it held together with bubble gum, no 🧢
Carolina2Cali and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Changes to Business Extra clarification

I find this program valuable and want to continue to benefit from it. As I understand it I will have to meet the new qualifications as of Jan 1 2023 as I'm an existing member. I'm not entirely clear, however, what the requirements are.

I do understand that I need to have 3 unique employees not including me. And they may require W-2's as proof. I'm a dental corporation with about 10 employees. However, I don't fly them places typically. The occasional continuing education meeting, pre covid, probably won't be doing that for years if ever. I do, however, employ my wife, one of my son's, and another son's girlfriend so can see maybe one or two flights per year but maybe not all three flying in a calendar year.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from Business extra on a few things. Do the employee's listed on the account have to log at least one flight per year? Could see a year where one or two only take flights. I also don't understand the $5000/year. Is that the calendar year or some kind of rolling total? I easily eclipse this with my flying alone but it's not consistent as some months there would be a lot of flying and then could be 2 months where I don't fly. If it's a calendar year, clock starts Jan 1 2023 I assume and I must reach the $5000 by years end I assume.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I can't seem to get a straight answer from Business extra on a few things. Do the employee's listed on the account have to log at least one flight per year? Could see a year where one or two only take flights. I also don't understand the $5000/year. Is that the calendar year or some kind of rolling total? I easily eclipse this with my flying alone but it's not consistent as some months there would be a lot of flying and then could be 2 months where I don't fly. If it's a calendar year, clock starts Jan 1 2023 I assume and I must reach the $5000 by years end I assume.
It is a rolling 12 month period for both requirements. And as I understand it this requirement is only to redeem points.

So say you go online and try to redeem your BE points for an award on July 1, 2022, you would need at least $5k spend and 3 unique travellers crediting at least one flight to your account during the previous 12 months (7/1/21 - 6/30/22).

For any account that hasn't met the requirements, presumably AA will somehow "lock" these from making redemptions. Hopefully they will add some sort of a rolling 12 month spend ticker to keep up with this, as otherwise it will be a nightmare trying to keep up with.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It is a rolling 12 month period for both requirements. And as I understand it this requirement is only to redeem points.

So say you go online and try to redeem your BE points for an award on July 1, 2022, you would need at least $5k spend and 3 unique travellers crediting at least one flight to your account during the previous 12 months (7/1/21 - 6/30/22).

For any account that hasn't met the requirements, presumably AA will somehow "lock" these from making redemptions. Hopefully they will add some sort of a rolling 12 month spend ticker to keep up with this, as otherwise it will be a nightmare trying to keep up with.
Yes, seems impossible to keep up with. When I asked if I was part of the three was I was told no. So really it's 4 unique travelers then.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Yes, seems impossible to keep up with. When I asked if I was part of the three was I was told no. So really it's 4 unique travelers then.
That just sounds like a bogus response from a Meeting Services rep making things up on the fly. The updated BE FAQ's just say you need 3 unique travelers, whether the account's travel manager is one of the 3 or not shouldn't have any bearing on anything.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Locking of redemptions

So I understand this: If we do not have 3 unique travelers in 2021 and the $5000 anytme in 2021 (our travel vastly decreased for the past two years) before we can redeem anything in 2022 we will first need to have 3 unique and $5000 requirements to redeem? So our ability to redeem after Jan 1, 2022 is locked until those requirements are met?

So if we think we may not meet the 3/$5000 we need to redeem all points by December. 31st, 2021. This correct? It is a nightmare!

Seems like they should give us 2022 to make the 3/$5000 and start locking in 2023.

Last edited by PHLFlyerDL; Nov 15, 2021 at 12:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Has this lockdown just gone into effect? We only joined less than two months ago... or do I have until January 1 to pull out as many benefits as we can? 3 employees is no problem (4 gets tougher), but no guarantee on how much spend occurs, the boss mostly flies Delta due to her destinations.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by PHLFlyerDL
our ability to redeem after Jan 1, 2022 is locked until those requirements are met?
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Has this lockdown just gone into effect?
In short, it doesn't affect existing members for new redemptions until the start of 2023. The change was emailed to members on October 5th and first reported in this thread in post #1353. Take a look at that post for the details. I updated the wiki to add this info but there is still room for cleanup and improvement to make the wiki clearer.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by _kurt
In short, it doesn't affect existing members for new redemptions until the start of 2023. The change was emailed to members on October 5th and first reported in this thread in post #1353. Take a look at that post for the details. I updated the wiki to add this info but there is still room for cleanup and improvement to make the wiki clearer.
How did I miss this? I do remember seeing the email but I think I just saw January 2023 and said meh ok, and moved on. Thanks for updating the Wiki. So, if someone joined say, October 1st, (I looked, we actually joined in July, definitely do not have 3 flyers with 5000 points yet), is it definitively clear that come January 1, 2023, I'd be locked from redeeming anything? If yes, is the idea to convert the POINTS to the certificates (any kind) before then, and/or convert to miles? Presumably once the certificates are issued whether they be for lounge passes or flights, they aren't locked away like the points are? Good golly, has anyone done on a Wiki on points value? While I hate taking award flights in a year when I still need flights/dollars/loyalty points to hit a certain status level, I can't imagine why anyone would opt for miles, 2000 points gets you a roundtrip in the US, or 25000 miles, but 2000 points is worth 12k miles. I guess I've got a year now to find the best value for me/us.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Thank you very much clarifying the new program rules... gives us another year until we need to evaluate the use of rewards before new program freeze is active for us old accounts!
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
BXP1 waitlist reliability

I’m looking. At applying a bxp1 to a flight that doesn’t currently have C inventory, but hoping this will bump me ahead of other EXPs with comp upgrades.

how reliable is the automated processing of a BXP1 waitlist? I’ve read in the past it’s been unreliable and/or skipped in the automatic upgrade processing.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
I’m looking. At applying a bxp1 to a flight that doesn’t currently have C inventory, but hoping this will bump me ahead of other EXPs with comp upgrades.

how reliable is the automated processing of a BXP1 waitlist? I’ve read in the past it’s been unreliable and/or skipped in the automatic upgrade processing.
I’ve applied bxp1 online and it sent me a confirmation email listing sector as waitlisted. Upgrade didn’t clear when C opened, so I’ve called in and was told that (1) the cert was attached to the reservation, (2) no, I wasn’t waitlisted so it would never clear.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:22 am

Gary at VFTW made a post that the BusinessExtra program has a fast track promotion to get status quickly:

https://www.exploreamerican.com/glob...Details_TC.pdf

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-fast...antage-status/

Questions if anyone knows (I may contact AA if people don't):

1) Does anyone know if this is officially a public offer? I can't find it anywhere in my BusinessExtra profile (I've had the account for several years now)
2) Can I combine my day job corporate travel bookings with my side job BusinessExtra travel bookings to get to the flight level?
3) It reads like this is flight segments and not one-way itineraries (e.g. PHL-DFW-IAH is 2 flights, PHL-IAH nonstop is 1), am I reading that correctly?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just got this in an email. Looks like it's time to cash out for a bunch of BXP1 upgrades.

"Turn your points into more Business Extra awards

We're thankful for our Business Extra members and proud to support small businesses with programs that maximize the value of business travel. In honor of Small Business Saturday, we're excited to offer reduced point redemption values for select Business Extra awards to help your company's rewards go further.

Turn your points into more awards that make business travel simpler. Starting today, select awards with lower point redemption values are available in your Business Extra account through November 30, 2021.

Awards that take your company's rewards the extra mile:

U.S. Domestic One-Segment Upgrade
Regular: 650 points | Promo: 500 points

Admirals Club® Membership
Regular: 3,300 points | Promo: 2,900 points

Admirals Club® One-Day Pass
Regular: 300 points | Promo: 200 points

As always, Business Extra points can be redeemed for over 60 awards and start as low as 100 points. Log in to your account through the end of November to redeem awards for less.

We thank you for being a valued Business Extra member, and all of us at American Airlines look forward to welcoming you and your travelers on board soon."
River in Sight, uxb, _kurt and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:20 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Just got this in an email. Looks like it's time to cash out for a bunch of BXP1 upgrades.

"Turn your points into more Business Extra awards

We're thankful for our Business Extra members and proud to support small businesses with programs that maximize the value of business travel. In honor of Small Business Saturday, we're excited to offer reduced point redemption values for select Business Extra awards to help your company's rewards go further.

Turn your points into more awards that make business travel simpler. Starting today, select awards with lower point redemption values are available in your Business Extra account through November 30, 2021.

Awards that take your company's rewards the extra mile:

U.S. Domestic One-Segment Upgrade
Regular: 650 points | Promo: 500 points

Admirals Club® Membership
Regular: 3,300 points | Promo: 2,900 points

Admirals Club® One-Day Pass
Regular: 300 points | Promo: 200 points

As always, Business Extra points can be redeemed for over 60 awards and start as low as 100 points. Log in to your account through the end of November to redeem awards for less.

We thank you for being a valued Business Extra member, and all of us at American Airlines look forward to welcoming you and your travelers on board soon."
I didn’t get that email, but may be tempted to get an AC membership… naaaaaah!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.