Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:47 pm

Ah yes, my apologies for thé unclear wording. This is for new accounts only.
uxb likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:43 am

Hey all. Quick question ... can I apply a BXP1 to a family member’s reservation or it can only be used for myself?

Secondly, if the family member is traveling with me on the same flight, is it better to link their pnr with mine (for sticker upg, I’m Plat); or do they stand a better chance being waitlisted under BXP1?

Thank you in advance. Would greatly appreciate the answer to one or both questions.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hey all. Quick question ... can I apply a BXP1 to a family member’s reservation or it can only be used for myself?

Secondly, if the family member is traveling with me on the same flight, is it better to link their pnr with mine (for sticker upg, I’m Plat); or do they stand a better chance being waitlisted under BXP1?

Thank you in advance. Would greatly appreciate the answer to one or both questions.
You can apply a BXP1 to a family member's reservation. Just make sure that the ticket is booked in G fare class or higher.

BXP1s are an annoying thing if you can't find C inventory and clear in advance. For one thing, someone noted upthread that they might be a lower priority than complimentary upgrades now (not sure if that has happened). The bigger problem is that gate agents don't know how to work with them.

I would say waitlist with the BXP1 for now in case C inventory opens up. Keep checking, or set an EF alert. As it gets closer to the upgrade window, based on the route, time, etc. and your likelihood to clear a comp upgrade (e.g. a Thursday late afternoon JFK-LAX transcon will be a tall order, but a LGA-DTW would probably be easy to clear), I might list them as a companion for the 500-mile upgrade with you.

Either way, you should link the PNRs in case of IRROPS. This is different than having them as a companion for the upgrade. Just call and let them know that you are traveling together, and they will note in each of the reservations that the other PNR "completes party."
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

BusinessExtraa is directed at small businesses, not just businesses with one person, so why would an awards be limited to one person?
You enter the Aadvantage number and contact info of someone to manage the BE account, but that doesn't limit awards to that person
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:34 pm

Best way to book?

I've got some points expiring at the end of this year.
I have an opportunity to use those points by redeeming for a BXP1 (one segment upgrade) for 2 one-way tickets in 2020.
I have verified that the flight I want has (2) C-buckets available via expertflyer.
The rate on AA's website is on the "restricted" fare for like $294, but i used itamatrix thingy to exclude those and found a "G" fare for $339

1) I use the website to redeem the points for two certificates for the award, yes?
2) I then call aa.com (Meeting services desk) and feed them the itinerary I want and mention the "G" fare?
3) They apply the certs?

That's it?

I imagine that if flight schedule changes (quite possibly this far out) and either equipment downgrade, etc. I can cancel and get the cert re-issued (with 12 months from date of re-issuance?) to use, or try to find another flight that'll work?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I thought I read the wiki through but wanted to make sure I was properly understanding things.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
I've got some points expiring at the end of this year.
I have an opportunity to use those points by redeeming for a BXP1 (one segment upgrade) for 2 one-way tickets in 2020.
I have verified that the flight I want has (2) C-buckets available via expertflyer.
The rate on AA's website is on the "restricted" fare for like $294, but i used itamatrix thingy to exclude those and found a "G" fare for $339

1) I use the website to redeem the points for two certificates for the award, yes?
2) I then call aa.com (Meeting services desk) and feed them the itinerary I want and mention the "G" fare?
3) They apply the certs?

That's it?

I imagine that if flight schedule changes (quite possibly this far out) and either equipment downgrade, etc. I can cancel and get the cert re-issued (with 12 months from date of re-issuance?) to use, or try to find another flight that'll work?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I thought I read the wiki through but wanted to make sure I was properly understanding things.
I would go about it this way:

1) Call the normal AA reservations number, confirm the G fare, and book the ticket (in economy). Also ask the agent to confirm that there is C space available on the flight.
2) Go to the BE website and redeem for 2 BXP1 certificates.
3) Call Meeting Services and ask them to apply the certificates to the flights you just booked.

For schedule changes or equipment changes etc. in advance you typically have a lot of flexibility to change to new flights that work, keeping your upgrade in place.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I would go about it this way:

1) Call the normal AA reservations number, confirm the G fare, and book the ticket (in economy). Also ask the agent to confirm that there is C space available on the flight.
2) Go to the BE website and redeem for 2 BXP1 certificates.
3) Call Meeting Services and ask them to apply the certificates to the flights you just booked.

For schedule changes or equipment changes etc. in advance you typically have a lot of flexibility to change to new flights that work, keeping your upgrade in place.
To be safe, I believe that it's still possible to place the G fare ticket on hold, provide the PNR to the meeting services agents, and they can ticket it apply the BXP1s at the same time.
htran88 and luv2vacay like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:09 am

Thank you very much @DMPHL for the thorough and informative response. Much appreciated!

It’s AA166 on 9/4 SFO<>JFK which is a crapshoot all around for a Plat and so I booked the lowest non-BE economy fare and requested upgrades. Expecting NADA! 😂

Originally Posted by DMPHL
You can apply a BXP1 to a family member's reservation. Just make sure that the ticket is booked in G fare class or higher.

BXP1s are an annoying thing if you can't find C inventory and clear in advance. For one thing, someone noted upthread that they might be a lower priority than complimentary upgrades now (not sure if that has happened). The bigger problem is that gate agents don't know how to work with them.

I would say waitlist with the BXP1 for now in case C inventory opens up. Keep checking, or set an EF alert. As it gets closer to the upgrade window, based on the route, time, etc. and your likelihood to clear a comp upgrade (e.g. a Thursday late afternoon JFK-LAX transcon will be a tall order, but a LGA-DTW would probably be easy to clear), I might list them as a companion for the 500-mile upgrade with you.

Either way, you should link the PNRs in case of IRROPS. This is different than having them as a companion for the upgrade. Just call and let them know that you are traveling together, and they will note in each of the reservations that the other PNR "completes party."
DMPHL likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:07 pm

I'm racking my head what to do with 850ish expiring points. I really have no status with AA so I was leaning towards either 1 segment upgrade or 2 lounge passes. I do have priority pass membership and SFO is my home airport so I'm not sure how valuable 2 lounge passes are if AA isn't my most commonly flown airlines.

I was thinking of a transcon upgrade from economy to business from SFO to JFK but I don't see many spots available for upgrade when I called in on one or two flights. As I don't have expert flyer, am I able to ascertain spots if I look for open business mile-saver awards or are upgrades still an entirely different beast?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure out what to do.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by buggy51
I'm racking my head what to do with 850ish expiring points. I really have no status with AA so I was leaning towards either 1 segment upgrade or 2 lounge passes. I do have priority pass membership and SFO is my home airport so I'm not sure how valuable 2 lounge passes are if AA isn't my most commonly flown airlines.

I was thinking of a transcon upgrade from economy to business from SFO to JFK but I don't see many spots available for upgrade when I called in on one or two flights. As I don't have expert flyer, am I able to ascertain spots if I look for open business mile-saver awards or are upgrades still an entirely different beast?

Upgrade space is different from business sAAver space, although if you see sAAver space it can be a decently good indication that upgrade space is there too. There are a lot more instances though where AA might release upgrade space but no business sAAver space, so you will potentially he missing out on some options.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does AA consider HKG to be part of China for Business Extra Asia awards between NA and Japan, Korea, and China?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:23 am

I'm not an expert on this, but if I read the Wiki correctly, the BXP upgrades (but I didn't think that 850 points would cover you, I thought it was 1,200 points), it requires "C" bucket fare and also excludes a bunch of the lower fare codes as well.

You could use a domestic upgrade for 650 points, if you can find something.
If you PM me for your desired dates, I could check expert flyer for you.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:27 am

Upgrade space is different from business sAAver space, although if you see sAAver space it can be a decently good indication that upgrade space is there too. There are a lot more instances though where AA might release upgrade space but no business sAAver space, so you will potentially he missing out on some options.
Thanks for the info! I thought the sAAver space award would be a good work around if I didn't have expert flyer though ... guess its not that easy haha. I had a few people offer help in regards with expert flyer in seeing if there are upgrade space. Thank you!

I'm not an expert on this, but if I read the Wiki correctly, the BXP upgrades (but I didn't think that 850 points would cover you, I thought it was 1,200 points), it requires "C" bucket fare and also excludes a bunch of the lower fare codes as well.

You could use a domestic upgrade for 650 points, if you can find something.
If you PM me for your desired dates, I could check expert flyer for you.
Yeah I was looking at domestic since I don't have anything close to the required points for international (nor do I really fly a high cost amount on AA domestically to try to boost my extra points for the end of the year). Currently as I have mentioned getting some help and we're seeing a possible spot flying back from JFK to SFO just gotta see how expensive the non B/N/O/Q/S fares are. I believe I'd have to call AA unless there's another way for me to search that without asking.

Edit: Oh finally found the area where you can search for farecodes on ita-matrix I think!

Edit... I really should read the wiki a little more closely -_-;

Edit: Okay, from ITA matrix, I think the cheapest upgradeable economy is fare code G for around $247 from my search (there's no way to input all the different fare code combinations right? I was only able to search them individually) on applicable days that I was considering. Is there a price chart history search tool for fare codes?

Last edited by buggy51; Aug 29, 2019 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info! I thought the sAAver space award would be a good work around if I didn't have expert flyer though ... guess its not that easy haha. I had a few people offer help in regards with expert flyer in seeing if there are upgrade space. Thank you!

Yeah I was looking at domestic since I don't have anything close to the required points for international (nor do I really fly a high cost amount on AA domestically to try to boost my extra points for the end of the year). Currently as I have mentioned getting some help and we're seeing a possible spot flying back from JFK to SFO just gotta see how expensive the non B/N/O/Q/S fares are. I believe I'd have to call AA unless there's another way for me to search that without asking.

Edit: Oh finally found the area where you can search for farecodes on ita-matrix I think!

Edit... I really should read the wiki a little more closely -_-;

Edit: Okay, from ITA matrix, I think the cheapest upgradeable economy is fare code G for around $247 from my search (there's no way to input all the different fare code combinations right? I was only able to search them individually) on applicable days that I was considering. Is there a price chart history search tool for fare codes?
LOL, no worries. If you've figured out the itamatrix thingy, you're seeing the same thing I am:
"G" fares appear to be the cheapest economy "eligible" ticket.
At that point you could call AA and inquire about the "C" fare buckets. That they would definitely know, as they should be able to tell you if the BXP1 is "waitlisted" or not. If not waitlisted, then I believe there's C buckets (typically 2?), but if they've been used, then you will be waitlisted, AFAIK.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:14 pm

LOL, no worries. If you've figured out the itamatrix thingy, you're seeing the same thing I am:
"G" fares appear to be the cheapest economy "eligible" ticket.
At that point you could call AA and inquire about the "C" fare buckets. That they would definitely know, as they should be able to tell you if the BXP1 is "waitlisted" or not. If not waitlisted, then I believe there's C buckets (typically 2?), but if they've been used, then you will be waitlisted, AFAIK.

Good luck!
Quick question, if there is space and you aren't wait listed and get the ticket, does that mean you're guaranteed a business seat (unless there's an aircraft change or what not) or are you still at the whim of those with higher status?

Also do you get lounge benefits if you get said ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.