Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 20, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines EP, 2.6MM; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm having trouble logging into my BE account. It takes me to the new program. I want to cash in my points for miles. Can anyone help? TIA.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:28 am

It appears that I can't nominate the same person for Gold two years in a row (using BXP5)? I just tried, and it gave the error: "The current tier status of this Aadvantage Number is Gold expiring on 03/31/2024 and is ineligible for this award."
Any way around this? Normally I guess it wouldn't be a problem, but with the end of the program before that date, it is.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The FAQs don't explicitly explain this:

If we book awards by Dec. 15, it says we can cancel them and they are not refundable. They don't explain if we can change the dates once booked. For example, if I book an Anytime award to Europe for December 2024, can I call any time in 2024 to change it to another date? or will the Biz Extra team be gone and the normal reservations team won't have access to Anytime inventory to change dates? Im trying to book a hold date later in 2024 and then change it when I know my actual dates of travel, but need to know if I will be able to do so. Biz Extra has a two hour hold time, of course.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Anyone have any experience using an BLX1 award for Platinum status before your Platinum Pro status expires? Looking for ways to use points before end of the year and will likely not hit above Gold.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:19 pm

I'm currently ~$600 short of hitting the $5k threshold and unlocking my ~4,400 points with no flights planned between now and 12/15. Any workaround / easy way to redeem out short of buying a $600 ticket and flying it before 12/15?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by onfo
I'm currently ~$600 short of hitting the $5k threshold and unlocking my ~4,400 points with no flights planned between now and 12/15. Any workaround / easy way to redeem out short of buying a $600 ticket and flying it before 12/15?
A month ago I had ~3,300 BE points and $4,985 in spending. I wanted to use the points for a 3,100 point upgrade for a trip mid Nov. No dice in getting a pass on the spend requirement, i tried with BE and AAdvantage CS. $15 farkin dollars. I did a miles and copay upgrade instead. The flight in question posted to BE, now I am over $5k in spend, but with no near term travel planned I am just sweeping the BE points into RDM at the 1:6 ratio. Basically I get back the 25k RDMs I used for the upgrade but am out the $550 copay. C'est la vie. What are you going to use the BE points for? If RDM conversion I don't think ~27k miles is worth $600. Maybe find someone who is traveling anyway and get them to add your BE number to their booking? Good luck, it is frustrating seeing something of value die on the vine.

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Nov 27, 2023 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The FAQs don't explicitly explain this:

If we book awards by Dec. 15, it says we can cancel them and they are not refundable. They don't explain if we can change the dates once booked. For example, if I book an Anytime award to Europe for December 2024, can I call any time in 2024 to change it to another date? or will the Biz Extra team be gone and the normal reservations team won't have access to Anytime inventory to change dates? Im trying to book a hold date later in 2024 and then change it when I know my actual dates of travel, but need to know if I will be able to do so. Biz Extra has a two hour hold time, of course.
Earlier this moth I booked a flight award cert expiring 12/30/23 and asked the BE agent that exact question.

She confirmed that even after December, changes may be made through the same BE reservation ctr. She stated its only the front end customer service dept that is gone. The BE reservation agents are/will still be
available.

Consequently I booked & flew my outbound flt & the agent booked my return for the furthest available date in 2024 with intent to change & fly the return sometime next year.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:52 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Is there some rule that BusinessExtraa awards cannot be used to book for children?

I don't see any language on the website about this, but the birth year drop down only goes up to 2012. Even if I do choose 2012, it says something about not being eligible.

Anyone know if this is an official policy? Or do I just need to call?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Anything other than the gifted status has to be earned from scratch. For million milers, Gold status is granted annually--still have to start at zero to get to Platinum or higher, though.

Think of the gift as a facade over the organic earning process (although some might perceive their earned status as a facade too).
When does the gifted status expire? I'm considering using my remaining points to extend someone's status but Customer Service said it will expire 3/31/2024.

And does the expiration date depend on how the status was gifted? Last year I gifted status as my Loyalty Points reward.

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Dec 10, 2023 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any thoughts from anyone on how to use 21K points this week? PHX based.

Last edited by Ty Vil; Dec 10, 2023 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
When does the gifted status expire? I'm considering using my remaining points to extend someone's status but Customer Service said it will expire 3/31/2024.

And does the expiration date depend on how the status was gifted? Last year I gifted status as my Loyalty Points reward.
No clue...my post from 2019 was simply regarding the nature of complimentary status in general...EQMs/EQDs were not granted with gifted status then and would be shocked if it comes with LPs commensurate with the gifted status now.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Ty Vil
Any thoughts from anyone on how to use 21K points this week? PHX based.
Purchase a couple first class domestic tickets. Purchase 1 business class ticket to Asia or Europe.

I will be liquidating with a couple of BC tix to Asia, and a few domestic BC tix.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Can anyone log in? I can't get in now.

Never mind, I tried another browser and got in.

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Dec 11, 2023 at 12:19 pm
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:48 pm

I need three people in biz extra to allow redemption and only have two people right now. Any idea on how I can trigger a 3rd flyer in biz extra program very quick so I can redeem before 12/15? Do I have someone fly the ticket or just buy a ticket for a 3rd person?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:11 pm

Oh no I had one last bxp1 upgrade certificate to cancel. I won’t be able to attach to a ticket before dec 15, sadly. When I log into my aa business extra account it now shows my spend slightly less than 5k! Will I be able to convert that certificate to miles or even a lounge pass since my certificate is no longer valid or am I skrewed??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.