Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

If I make AA Gold, does the 50% off MCE and free Preferred seats apply to travelling companions on the same reservation?
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 14, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: Add AA chart of oneworld status benefits
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by taseas
If I make AA Gold, does the 50% off MCE and free Preferred seats apply to travelling companions on the same reservation?
Yes.

As an AAdvantage elite status member, you have complimentary access to Preferred seats which have standard legroom and are more favorably located throughout the Main Cabin. We set aside a number of these seats on every flight for our premium customers and anyone traveling on full-fare Economy Class tickets. This benefit also applies to up to 8 passengers traveling with you in the same reservation.
AAdvantage Gold members receive:
50% discount when reserving a Main Cabin Extra seat in advance
Complimentary access within 24 hours of departure if seats are available
This benefit also applies to up to 8 passengers traveling in the same reservation with you.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I had looked at that page, but apparently didn't click on the right link for further details. Thanks for the information!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:56 am

Thinking on applying for the gold AA within few days.

But wondering maybe I should wait... Does AA offer a bonus for this card like instead of 25k for signing up, get 35k or something?? Basically do they do promotions for this card
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by RichardB4
Thinking on applying for the gold AA within few days.

But wondering maybe I should wait... Does AA offer a bonus for this card like instead of 25k for signing up, get 35k or something?? Basically do they do promotions for this card
It appears that you are confusing AA Gold Elite Status (the focus of this thread) with the AA Gold credit card. While there may be some benefits that overlap, do not presume that the benefits listed at the Wiki at the top of this page apply to holders of the credit card.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:32 pm
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Does anyone know if Main Cabin Extra seats become available at no charge (to Golds) at T-24 for the first flight in the itinerary (if connecting), or on a flight-by-flight basis? Trying to figure out how many T-24s I need to count down to. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by zld
Does anyone know if Main Cabin Extra seats become available at no charge (to Golds) at T-24 for the first flight in the itinerary (if connecting), or on a flight-by-flight basis? Trying to figure out how many T-24s I need to count down to. Thanks in advance!
It is on a flight-by-flight basis so you would need to select MCE for each segment in your itinerary at T-24 before departure time. Do not check in until T-24 for the last flight in your itinerary. AA.com does not allow seat changes once checked in.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Austin787
It is on a flight-by-flight basis so you would need to select MCE for each segment in your itinerary at T-24 before departure time. Do not check in until T-24 for the last flight in your itinerary. AA.com does not allow seat changes once checked in.
They do, and have for some time now. That was true maybe 2-3 years ago
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by akarneboge
They do, and have for some time now. That was true maybe 2-3 years ago
On a recent AUS-DFW-YVR itinerary, after checking in at T-24 for AUS-DFW, I returned at T-24 for DFW-YVR and tried to change my seat. I got a see agent or kiosk to change your seat assignment message and aa.com would not update my seats. Same thing happened on my return itinerary. I used to be able to change my seat on aa.com even after check in; maybe something changed.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Austin787
On a recent AUS-DFW-YVR itinerary, after checking in at T-24 for AUS-DFW, I returned at T-24 for DFW-YVR and tried to change my seat. I got a see agent or kiosk to change your seat assignment message and aa.com would not update my seats. Same thing happened on my return itinerary. I used to be able to change my seat on aa.com even after check in; maybe something changed.
I wonder if it's because you were flying int'l? Have you been able to change on solely domestic trips?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by United747
I wonder if it's because you were flying int'l? Have you been able to change on solely domestic trips?
I was able to change my seat via app and website multiple times after checking in on a NRT-ORD-DFW trip earlier this month.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:51 am

Boost to Gold status

Boost to Gold status for only $649
AAdvantage Gold We're approaching the end of the year, and because you're so close to reaching American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status for the 2016 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level.

Act now, and we'll boost your status to Gold for only $649. As an AAdvantage Gold member, you'll enjoy even greater benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more.

Once you purchase this boost, you can start enjoying your new status and benefits within only five business days. Your status will be valid through February 2017

I just got this email from AA Advantage

Is it worth it? I have over 250,000 miles with AA but no status. I get one free checked bag with my Executive advantage card but maybe I am missing something- minus the upgrades I don't see much major difference. I guess having gold status it will get me closer to platinum and higher if I so desire. I have also seen posting about mileage run-if I can do one of those will I be able to get the gold status? Thanks for info.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by carnivaltime
AAdvantage Gold We're approaching the end of the year, and because you're so close to reaching American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status for the 2016 membership year, we want to offer you an opportunity to step up to the next level.

Act now, and we'll boost your status to Gold for only $649. As an AAdvantage Gold member, you'll enjoy even greater benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more.

Once you purchase this boost, you can start enjoying your new status and benefits within only five business days. Your status will be valid through February 2017

Is it worth it? I have over 250,000 miles with AA but no status. I get one free checked bag with my Executive advantage card but maybe I am missing something- minus the upgrades I don't see much major difference. I guess having gold status it will get me closer to platinum and higher if I so desire. I have also seen posting about mileage run-if I can do one of those will I be able to get the gold status? Thanks for info.
As questions such as this do come up with some regularity, there's a thread for just this type of question. I'll go ahead and merge yours in.

~Moderator
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

As a gold right now, the one benefit I value is same-day standby for free. That saves $75 each time I do it. I don't really value upgrades too much since I usually only fly sub 500 mile flights and FC on those is just a bigger seat for 50 minutes.

At $650, I would not do it. You could look at the AmEx Plat card or JPMorgan Ritz card. Those might be better alternatives, you can use the incidentals credits each card provides to choose MCE or get a drink in coach or food at the AC.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA

I was Platinum this year and received lots of upgrades - on most flights. I know two people who were both Gold this year, and travel on business often, and neither have been upgraded the first time during 2015.

I don't have enough for Platinum next year but will be Gold. I tried to boost, pay my way, to Platinum but AA has changed the requirements and I'm not eligible for the boost.

Since no one I know that is Gold, personally or on this board, that have received upgrades during 2015, I've decided not to have loyalty to one carrier going toward. Instead, I will select flights based on fare and schedule and not airline. For business travel, once I ticket via my corporate website, I will go to AA or DL's website and pay my way to MCE or Comfort +. For leisure tickets, I'll purchase either First/Business Class or Comfort +/MCE at the time of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.