Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by no1cub17
International flight - no. Domestic award flight - yes (same rules apply as above I'm pretty sure - has been awhile since I same-day-standbyed on a domestic award but I'm fairly positive I've done it before).

Beware of agents that complicate the process, especially if you're checking bags. A competent agent will be able to check your bags on the earlier flight(s), but I've had multiple agents refuse to check my bags on an earlier connection for whatever reason. One agent told me "the flight is oversold by 10 so you're not going to make it" - well I show up at the gate and guess who gets the last seat - me. Then again I've also had agents that confirmed me on earlier flights for free and took care of everything. Also, being able to standby for free can help you violate MCT if your inbound is early - it's hard to believe AA could be early but it does happen!
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Same-day standby is available for domestic award flights, including flights purchased with other award currencies (like Avios).
Fantastic insights. Last year I was flying to Australia and thought to check out the standby options - when nothing came up I assumed it was just a bogus option. Glad to understand why. Thank you so much!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
1) Both DL and UA silver charge $75 for same-day standby. And more importantly, only AA to my knowledge allows no-questions-asked standby for earlier or later flights, regardless of same day confirmed availability

2) DL tries to limit some elite security to Gold members. Not sure about UA

3) UA appears to charge close in award fees for all members except Platinum and 1K
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Delta doesn't appear to charge any close in award fees

4) Same at all three carriers

5) Delta requires upgrade availability, so it is more restrictive than AA (though in practice, I am always upgraded to Comfort Plus as a Delta Silver)

6) Totally route dependent. AA does require stickers for certain routes, though, while Delta is 100% complementary (this is worse or better depending on the situation)

7) Similar for all of the majors
Thank you for this analysis. I'm kind of shocked by (1) and (3) actually. (1) is massively in favor of AA given the significant amount of money a GLD can save. Although, I think UA allows standby passengers to change their routing (AA doesn't), but still, free is free. (2) is moot for anyone that has precheck. I actually like the sticker system - although it helps that we take 1-2 int'l trips per year in CX PEY or J that really helps rack up the sticker count. But the utility of that is quite variable I would imagine.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:56 am
Fiz

Another is one free checked bag on trans-oceanic Basic Economy, something not granted to AA credit card holders
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In a lot of ways, AA Gold is the most valuable of all of the "first rung" elite status

1) Same-day standby - Has saved me hundreds of dollars, and is one of the most valuable standby policies because of the ability to standby for later flights
2) Elite check-in and security - many limit that to the 50,000 mile tier
3) Waived $75 close-in award booking fee - again a money saver
4) Free bags
5) MCE at check-in
6) High upgrade percentage on regional fllights
7) Increased earnings for paid flights
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'd be curious how DL or UA Silver compare? Do they not also provide the benefits you listed above?
I have a lot of experience at the low levels. I was AA Gold from 12/14-8/16, DL Silver from 12/14-2/18 and UA Silver from 4/15-1/17, 12/17-10/18 and I agree, AA Gold is the best of the levels. A big factor in this is Oneworld Ruby actually gets decent benefits (priority check in, sometimes security, boarding) while Skyteam Elite and especially Star Silver are next to worthless. I've also found that AA Gold has the best upgrade shot of all the low level statuses. AA also treats Gold a little better than CC holders at least in the sense of boarding group number (AA Gold is Group 4, CC is 5, both Delta and United lump Silvers and credit card holders together).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Can someone walk me through the standby process; so I buy the last flight of the day and if I show up early, register with an agent for an earlier flight I can take it? So potentially a lot of hanging around the airport? Vice versa too - I can standby for a later flight if I book an early one? Assume there's a risk of not getting on a flight that day at all if it was busy/storm delays etc?

Wondering as I'm PP until 1/31/20, but will only fly enough for GLD this year. Have never used standby before.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Can someone walk me through the standby process; so I buy the last flight of the day and if I show up early, register with an agent for an earlier flight I can take it? So potentially a lot of hanging around the airport? Vice versa too - I can standby for a later flight if I book an early one? Assume there's a risk of not getting on a flight that day at all if it was busy/storm delays etc?

Wondering as I'm PP until 1/31/20, but will only fly enough for GLD this year. Have never used standby before.
That's pretty much it and the easiest way to do it. You can also go online and do same-day standby for other flights once they get within 24 hours of departure. If you have an AC membership the agents inside the lounge offer the same help (if not more) with little to no wait as any of the GAs as far as looking up flights and putting you on standby lists. They usually suggest you get to the gate an hour before departure, and I think the general rule of thumb is to stick around until the GAs do their final passenger count and jet bridge door is closed.

The problem is with Gold, no matter what time you arrive at the gate/get on the standby list, you're already behind all other levels of AA elite, plus anyone who has missed a connection because of mechanical issues, etc. That being said, that's generally only an issue on busy travel days and hubs
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, United
Planning on flying from JFK to BCN in June. Economy fare is $740 pp which includes seat selection.

Both of us travelling have Gold status with AA, so will we get one free bag each?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut
Planning on flying from JFK to BCN in June. Economy fare is $740 pp which includes seat selection.

Both of us travelling have Gold status with AA, so will we get one free bag each?
Yes, as long as you are both on the same PNR.

And, if MCE seats are available at T-24, you can select them at no extra charge. That's a big deal on such a long flight.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Basic Economy EQM earning rate?

Hello All. I am new to Gold AA status so please forgive me with such a basic question. Since I have attained status all my flights have been booked into paid Main Cabin or F tix. But the updated pricing on some routes I'm seeing are attractive but are reflective mostly of BE fare class. I understand regardless of status the EQM will earn 50% of the route flown with a BE ticket. But on flights shorter than 500 miles would I still be guaranteed the 500 EQM minimum on a BE fare with Gold status? And if not how would it award EQM? Thanks in advance for your help with this question as I love the ability to gain and share knowledge and experiences here!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Hello All. I am new to Gold AA status so please forgive me with such a basic question. Since I have attained status all my flights have been booked into paid Main Cabin or F tix. But the updated pricing on some routes I'm seeing are attractive but are reflective mostly of BE fare class. I understand regardless of status the EQM will earn 50% of the route flown with a BE ticket. But on flights shorter than 500 miles would I still be guaranteed the 500 EQM minimum on a BE fare with Gold status? And if not how would it award EQM? Thanks in advance for your help with this question as I love the ability to gain and share knowledge and experiences here!
This is clearly spelled out on AA's Elite Status page:
AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Aero137
This is clearly spelled out on AA's Elite Status page:
AAdvantage® members have a base of 500 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines (250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares).
I appreciate the information. Thank you.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all, I just became Gold AAvantage Elite. I knows the program very well. I can have 1 free checked bag for domestic US flight. I can get on boards early and main cabin extra seat, as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
i've been a AA GOLD for a few years (7-ish), including a few at PLT. But in 2020 it lapsed (before COVID). Instead i got TSA Pre-check, Priority Pass lounge access, and the AA credit card for (some) free bags. Way better experience. The only thing i miss (if i was flying) is the free standby.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I change the flight earlier? Can I have standby? I have fly back to PHX. I have go back home to watch Pimper Popper TV show at 9pm on next Wednesday night. Can I leave FLL at 1:08pm? I don't want stay in FLL for 7 hours.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:46 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can I change the flight earlier? Can I have standby? I have fly back to PHX. I have go back home to watch Pimper Popper TV show at 9pm on next Wednesday night. Can I leave FLL at 1:08pm? I don't want stay in FLL for 7 hours.
Standby is free for all customers within the US now -- see the aa.com page on same day travel change. Revenue standbys are pretty high priority and are ordered by elite status, so you should have a decent shot.
N830MH likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.