Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have a buy up offer for $749. I have only flown 13,290 miles this year as I have switched mostly to Delta.

I do fly AA occasionally, though, and could see doing 10,000 to 15,000 EQM on American. This year I have used standby a few times, checked bags (I don't have an AA credit card currently) and booked reward flights within 21 days. I also have gotten some decent upgrades, and was Op Uped recently on an award flight (I am pretty sure I would not have been Op Uped without status).

Should I do this?
$750 would pay for a whole lot of bag fees...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:56 pm

Is it worth it? AA Gold

Newbie member here, long time lurker.

is it worth it for me to pay the AA targeted offer for Gold status? I am a business traveler but not the road warrior like some people are on here. I usually do about 20K miles a year. If i were to take a vacation with the wife is it worth it for me to get Gold status? From what ive read AA doesnt offer much for Gold. Should i try to apply for a CC with better status? I currently have the AAdvantage gold world elite card from Citi that gave me a signup bonus but thats about it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
A very common question. It depends what benefits you think you will use.

Benefits for Gold are:

1) Free checked bag (also available with some credit cards)
2) Earlier boarding (if that matters to you)
3) Free same-day standby
4) Free upgrades on flights under 500 miles, but you'll be at the bottom of the list (although it's been known to happen)
5) Ability to earn 500-mile upgrades, or buy them, and use them on longer flights - but again, you'll be at the bottom of the list
6) Access to preferred seats, and Main Cabin Extra 24 hours before the flight.

A couple of years ago I bought Gold, because I'm often at the airport early and would like an earlier flight, but mainly because on the particular flights I take there's a particular seat I like to book that's designated as MCE.

My personal opinion would be that if you fly a lot of short flights, especially connections, it can be worth it (you'll occasionally get upgraded but more importantly you'll be able to switch to an earlier flight and avoid delays when they happen on later flights). Otherwise no. Remember that most of the benefits can be purchased ala carte.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You can get a lot of the gold benefits just for having a AA co-branded credit card, like priority boarding and a free checked bag on domestic itineraries. Gold status will get you that free checked bag on international itineraries, and a shot at upgrades. Once you earn gold status you start getting 500 mile upgrade stickers -- four every 12,500 miles you fly. You can collect these like a squirrel collects acorns and use them at some point in the future if you have higher status. You also have a good chance of clearing upgrades if you chose to fly at unpopular times (for example, Christmas day).

Gold status also gets you free preferred seats, which your credit card won't get you. Within 24 hours of your flights, you can select a MCE seat (if there's one available) and get free booze too, a credit card won't get you this benefit.

If you value OneWorld Ruby status at all (I don't), you'd get that too with Gold status if you chose to fly another OW airline.

You could also consider becoming elite in another OW program, your benefits will be better once you hit OW Sapphire (free lounge access)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Really depends on your flying patterns. GLD isn't much but it's better than nothing. We were PLT the past few years and took a last minute trip last year just to hit GLD. On our first trip this year we got to DFW early so were able to go standby on an earlier flight home. Turns out the flight we were originally booked on was delayed by over two hours. Was GLD worth it to be in my pajamas 4 hours earlier? Yup. Also helps that we fly a lot of elite-light routes so we still get upgraded pretty regularly.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Same-day-standby is the most valuable benefit, IMO... Theres the convenience factor of standing by but it also allows you to aribitrage flights by booking the cheapest nonstop that day and standing by on the flight you really want... Yes, theres a risk that you wont get on, but typically you will...

Thats followed by MCE seat selection within 24 hours... If youre flying lots of regional routes, the upgrades can come fairly easily too... If youre flying hub-to-hub or really anywhere out of DFW on mainline, you dont have much or a chance.

Adelphos likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
A very common question. It depends what benefits you think you will use.

Benefits for Gold are:

1) Free checked bag (also available with some credit cards)
2) Earlier boarding (if that matters to you)
3) Free same-day standby
4) Free upgrades on flights under 500 miles, but you'll be at the bottom of the list (although it's been known to happen)
5) Ability to earn 500-mile upgrades, or buy them, and use them on longer flights - but again, you'll be at the bottom of the list
6) Access to preferred seats, and Main Cabin Extra 24 hours before the flight.

A couple of years ago I bought Gold, because I'm often at the airport early and would like an earlier flight, but mainly because on the particular flights I take there's a particular seat I like to book that's designated as MCE.

My personal opinion would be that if you fly a lot of short flights, especially connections, it can be worth it (you'll occasionally get upgraded but more importantly you'll be able to switch to an earlier flight and avoid delays when they happen on later flights). Otherwise no. Remember that most of the benefits can be purchased ala carte.
You missed a few Gold benefits:

1. Waiver of the $75 close-in award-booking fee;

2. Ability to use elite check-in lines when flying AA or any other oneworld carrier; and

3. Increased earning of miles on paid (cash) fares.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In a lot of ways, AA Gold is the most valuable of all of the "first rung" elite status

1) Same-day standby - Has saved me hundreds of dollars, and is one of the most valuable standby policies because of the ability to standby for later flights
2) Elite check-in and security - many limit that to the 50,000 mile tier
3) Waived $75 close-in award booking fee - again a money saver
4) Free bags
5) MCE at check-in
6) High upgrade percentage on regional fllights
7) Increased earnings for paid flights
JDiver and milesforhire like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
In a lot of ways, AA Gold is the most valuable of all of the "first rung" elite status

1) Same-day standby - Has saved me hundreds of dollars, and is one of the most valuable standby policies because of the ability to standby for later flights
2) Elite check-in and security - many limit that to the 50,000 mile tier
3) Waived $75 close-in award booking fee - again a money saver
4) Free bags
5) MCE at check-in
6) High upgrade percentage on regional fllights
7) Increased earnings for paid flights
I'd be curious how DL or UA Silver compare? Do they not also provide the benefits you listed above?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'd be curious how DL or UA Silver compare? Do they not also provide the benefits you listed above?
1) Both DL and UA silver charge $75 for same-day standby. And more importantly, only AA to my knowledge allows no-questions-asked standby for earlier or later flights, regardless of same day confirmed availability

2) DL tries to limit some elite security to Gold members. Not sure about UA

3) UA appears to charge close in award fees for all members except Platinum and 1K
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Delta doesn't appear to charge any close in award fees

4) Same at all three carriers

5) Delta requires upgrade availability, so it is more restrictive than AA (though in practice, I am always upgraded to Comfort Plus as a Delta Silver)

6) Totally route dependent. AA does require stickers for certain routes, though, while Delta is 100% complementary (this is worse or better depending on the situation)

7) Similar for all of the majors
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOSishome
...it also allows you to arbitrage flights by booking the cheapest nonstop that day and standing by on the flight you really want...
Quick question about this part. Does the same-day standby only work for direct flights or can it factor in connecting flights? I'm not fortunate enough to fly direct to most places.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by milesforhire
Quick question about this part. Does the same-day standby only work for direct flights or can it factor in connecting flights? I'm not fortunate enough to fly direct to most places.
Works for connections too, but you have to keep the same connection point. So if your original ticket is a connection through DFW, you can't standby for an itinerary connecting through ORD (as an example). But you can standby for an earlier or later connecting itinerary. You used to be able to connect via a different hub many years ago, but no longer. I remember back in the day even non-elites could standby for free.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Works for connections too, but you have to keep the same connection point. So if your original ticket is a connection through DFW, you can't standby for an itinerary connecting through ORD (as an example). But you can standby for an earlier or later connecting itinerary. You used to be able to connect via a different hub many years ago, but no longer. I remember back in the day even non-elites could standby for free.
Thank you for the clear answer! Are the same things possible for an international flight? Award flights?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by milesforhire
Thank you for the clear answer! Are the same things possible for an international flight? Award flights?
International flight - no. Domestic award flight - yes (same rules apply as above I'm pretty sure - has been awhile since I same-day-standbyed on a domestic award but I'm fairly positive I've done it before).

Beware of agents that complicate the process, especially if you're checking bags. A competent agent will be able to check your bags on the earlier flight(s), but I've had multiple agents refuse to check my bags on an earlier connection for whatever reason. One agent told me "the flight is oversold by 10 so you're not going to make it" - well I show up at the gate and guess who gets the last seat - me. Then again I've also had agents that confirmed me on earlier flights for free and took care of everything. Also, being able to standby for free can help you violate MCT if your inbound is early - it's hard to believe AA could be early but it does happen!
milesforhire likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:49 am

International flight - no. Domestic award flight - yes (same rules apply as above I'm pretty sure - has been awhile since I same-day-standbyed on a domestic award but I'm fairly positive I've done it before).
Same-day standby is available for domestic award flights, including flights purchased with other award currencies (like Avios).
milesforhire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.