Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are AAdvantage Gold Benefits? Are they worth it?

C/Y 2019 Gold status requirements: $3,000 EQD* earned, AND 30 segments or 25,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive AA elite status. This requirement ended in 2017.

Status will last the status year when status is earned and the following status year. E.g. Status earned in 2020 will end 31 Jan 2022.

American Airlines AAdvantage Gold benefits, as stated on aa.com (chart), as of September 2015:

Preferred benefits:
  • Half price Main Cabin Extra or Free within 24 hours (extends to up to 8 traveling companions) (NOTE: 50% discount ends 5 Sep 2018)
  • Courtesy Preferred Seats
  • One (1) free checked bag (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 Aug 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 25% elite mileage bonus (7 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for one (1) bags
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • NOTE Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 24-hour upgrade window
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 24 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats 24 hours prior to departure; 50% discounted otherwise (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to archive of older posts from this thread.
Print Wikipost

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Thanks for confirming. They moved the verbiage around and it was in a collapsed section so didn't see it at first glance. So I have a flight with a slight difference for 'Basic' Economy vs regular. Looks like the only real perk is the possibility of an upgrade (remote as it may be for Gold) and the ability to select my seat in advance. Otherwise my Gold benefits override the restrictions of Basic Economy. Am I reading that right, too?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Does this also extend to a companion if booked on a basic economy PNR for the group?
Its also worth noting that basic economy only earns half of the EQMs and EQSs that regular Main Cabin flights earn. Your companion should receive the boarding benefits that would be expected, I believe. As someone who qualifies based on segments, that 0.5 EQS has been reason enough for me not to book Basic Economy.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Hello,

Does anyone know if AA Gold will get a 2nd bag free on an international flight in Y, if 1 is the regular allowance?

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Hello,

Does anyone know if AA Gold will get a 2nd bag free on an international flight in Y, if 1 is the regular allowance?

Thanks!
I doubt it, as additional baggage allowance is not a published benefit of AAdvantage Gold status, or its equivalent, oneworld Ruby:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits
Old May 1, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by guv1976
I doubt it, as additional baggage allowance is not a published benefit of AAdvantage Gold status, or its equivalent, oneworld Ruby:

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits
Exactly.
Attached Images  
Old May 1, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Hello,

Thanks!
No. Gold gets complimentary first checked bag, not a complimentary extra checked bag. Certain (but by no means all) international itineraries also provide a complimentary first checked bag. But just because there are multiple reasons why you would be entitled to a complimentary first checked bag, does not mean you would get a second bag (just like if you were Gold and also held an AA credit card, you would not get a second bag).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:26 am

It appears that with the "enhancements" to MCE, Golds will no longer receive 50% off MCE seats at purchase. Email from aa today:

"Starting today, enjoy complimentary beer, wine and spirits when you fly in Main Cabin Extra.1 That’s on top of the other great benefits you already enjoy like:
  • Extra legroom
  • Earlier access to overhead bin space2

Beginning September 5, AAdvantage® Gold members will no longer receive 50% off the purchase of Main Cabin Extra seats at the time of booking. You will continue to receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of your flight."
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by streetman
Beginning September 5, AAdvantage® Gold members will no longer receive 50% off the purchase of Main Cabin Extra seats at the time of booking. You will continue to receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of your flight."
This is one of the few Gold benefits left that actually had some value. Does anyone have a success rate for 24 hour availability of MCE seats. I almost always purchase mine in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
This is one of the few Gold benefits left that actually had some value. Does anyone have a success rate for 24 hour availability of MCE seats. I almost always purchase mine in advance.
I usually find MCE window/aisle seats available at T-24. Traveling during non-peak times (outside of Monday mornings, Thursday/Friday afternoon) helps with MCE availability.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold-1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Wyndham Diamond
Just when I thought Gold status couldn't be anymore worthless, AA proves me wrong again
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
It appears that with the "enhancements" to MCE, Golds will no longer receive 50% off MCE seats at purchase. Email from aa today:

"Starting today, enjoy complimentary beer, wine and spirits when you fly in Main Cabin Extra.1 That’s on top of the other great benefits you already enjoy like:
  • Extra legroom

What a disappointment. I have been working this year to get gold and keep it and even though I haven't used this feature yet, i was liking the option for a busy time of year flying when I would actually use it. So free drink vs. 50% off, they really do look to make things worse and worse.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP

• Extra legroom

This is--WAS--one of the best benefits for gold members, especially if you were already carrying a credit card that gives you the free bag and priority boarding. This just SUCKS so much.
KBMIFlyer, swbrad and miadukes like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

• Extra legroom

Sorry, I was just diverted here from the newbie thread. This nerfed 50% off MCE is different than the T-24 MCE benefit, right?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by milesforhire
Sorry, I was just diverted here from the newbie thread. This nerfed 50% off MCE is different than the T-24 MCE benefit, right?
Gold can still select MCE T24 for free, even though the 50% off provision is going away.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:29 pm

Go for gold?

hello

i have $300 EQDs left to make Gold status. Is it worth a mileage run? Any other ways to earn $300 EQDs?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
hello

i have $300 EQDs left to make Gold status. Is it worth a mileage run? Any other ways to earn $300 EQDs?
The only one who can answer that is you. We don't know your flying habits, where you live, your income if you travel for business or leisure, etc.

If it was me, the ability to have free checked bags (especially when I travel with family), the bonus miles, the ability to upgrade some fights, and the ability to have at least preferred seats would be a yes for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.