Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Value of AAdvantage miles - How much is 1 mile worth to you? (consolidated)

Old Sep 30, 08, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

i'm kind of curious about what you think about the current value of 1 mile? 2 cents? or less?
Old Sep 30, 08, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by qqqgnss View Post
i'm kind of curious about what you think about the current value of 1 mile? 2 cents? or less?
If you're lucky, you'll get that.
Old Sep 30, 08, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Searching on "value of a mile" yielded nearly 7000 posts. Tons of material to choose from.
Old Sep 30, 08, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Are these expiring miles or legacy miles?
Old Sep 30, 08, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Really depends on whether you are a buyer, seller or user.
Old Sep 30, 08, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HiltonH Diamond, Avis First
Lately it would seem that a mile is worth less than $.01. When you add on the new surcharge for turning in miles, you really have to book miles trips far out.
Old Oct 1, 08, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by erp2863 View Post
Lately it would seem that a mile is worth less than $.01.
If you sincerely believe that, I am willing to buy all the miles you have for a penny each.
Old Oct 1, 08, 12:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
me too.....
Old Oct 1, 08, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Lately it would seem that a mile is worth less than $.01. When you add on the new surcharge for turning in miles, you really have to book miles trips far out.
So, you're saying the 90K award that I used for a relative to go to Moscow next summer in business class is worth less than $900?

There are business class trips to Euope in October for 90K.. well 100K now that it just turned Oct 1 here.
Plenty of destinations in the US for 25k miles for domestic.
We used a few 40K awards for Paris for Spring Break. We saved about $1300 for each person for the dates we wanted.
If you think they are worth less than 1 cent, you are using them incorrectly.
Old Oct 1, 08, 5:50 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Count me in as willing to purchase. Two business class tickets to NZ a year and a half ago worked out to be a bit better than $0.06/mile.
Old Oct 1, 08, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
It is worth noting that the processing charge for officially sharing miles with someone else is > $.01 per mile!
Old Oct 1, 08, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qqqgnss View Post
The current value of one mile is nothing. There is nothing you can get for one mile.

If you have lots of miles, there is a value for each mile. I assign a value of one cent when deciding whether to earn a mile, and two cents when deciding whether to use a mile. If I can fly a pure mileage run that earns at a rate of one cent per mile, I will fly it. If I can get an award instead of paying for the ticket at a rate of 2 cents per mile, I will choose the award.
Old Oct 1, 08, 9:17 am

Ah, this is always an interesting debate on the value. It does vary by person and how you use the mile. In particular, it varies by how much you're willing to pay for flights and how much you value an upgrade to a higher class.

If you're only using your miles to buy coach class tickets, then it's probably between 1 cent to 2 cents.

If you're using them to upgrade yourself, ask yourself how much you'd be willing to pay in cash for that upgrade? If you're an executive and regularly buy transcontinental F for thousands of dollars, then your miles are worth quite a bit more because you can get that same flight for 65K or 130K (plus fees) depending on how early you book.

So price out the flights you want to take, figure out the equivalent number of miles (and calculate redemption fees), and then divide. Then discount that by a little bit, because the opportunity to use miles is often not guaranteed. The number is different for everyone.
Old Oct 1, 08, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HiltonH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
So, you're saying the 90K award that I used for a relative to go to Moscow next summer in business class is worth less than $900?

There are business class trips to Euope in October for 90K.. well 100K now that it just turned Oct 1 here.
Plenty of destinations in the US for 25k miles for domestic.
We used a few 40K awards for Paris for Spring Break. We saved about $1300 for each person for the dates we wanted.
If you think they are worth less than 1 cent, you are using them incorrectly.
I haven't check European trips lately (go there for work enough as it is), but the last 2 domestic trips I tried to book with miles, only 50k coach tickets were available and I am fairly flexible on my dates by +/- a couple of days. Buying the tickets outright was $400.

I'm sure you all are going to tell me that I should book them 10mo out as soon as the flight opens up. Well, that would be nice....if I were retired! Maybe it is my field of work, but who honestly can plan a trip that far in advanced?
Old Oct 1, 08, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
I haven't check European trips lately (go there for work enough as it is), but the last 2 domestic trips I tried to book with miles, only 50k coach tickets were available and I am fairly flexible on my dates by +/- a couple of days. Buying the tickets outright was $400.

I'm sure you all are going to tell me that I should book them 10mo out as soon as the flight opens up. Well, that would be nice....if I were retired! Maybe it is my field of work, but who honestly can plan a trip that far in advanced?
I wouldn't even use 25K miles for a $400 ticket.

Before spending the 50K for Economy, did you check for milesaver First at 45K, now 50K? I have seen 45K First Class seats available when the 25K Economy seats were gone.
Did you call AA to check for 25K seats? Not all award seats are online. I was curious about this, as I got a cheap ticket on a trip that involved SJC-SNA-STL-MCO. The SJC-SNA-STL is the same plane AND same flight number. At aa.com, there were not awards on this showing up, just 2 segment trips. The agent didn't have to contact anyone to free up seats, they were available. She didn't know why aa.com didn't show them.

Search this Thread