Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Value of AAdvantage miles - How much is 1 mile worth to you? (consolidated)

Value of AAdvantage miles - How much is 1 mile worth to you? (consolidated)

Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:35 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Since folks seem to care enough to ask...

I believe I searched "Value Mile" "Value AAdvantage Mile" and "Cash value mile" not one produced a meaningful result. Advanced search did not help. And, in all three cases got a search result notice saying:
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: value
And, now I just realized my mistake. I used the regular search talk. Putting "mile worth" in that box does NOT produce your result. However selecting Google Search does. I won't make that mistake again.
Rant on:

Maybe giving the noobs some gentle steering rather than heaps of scorn would be nice -- honest mistakes happen. Repeat offenders -- after being given help -- can be blasted as often as you wish.

Some of us are actually trying to follow the stickies and guidelines, don't tar us all with the same brush as the lazy ones. Fire away, but please, select the right targets.

I know that lurking is easy; contributing -- asking questions and answering others is not. Doing so without being grouchy sometimes is very difficult.

Rant off
Sorry to inconvenience y'all
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:36 am

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
So who do I send my $5 charitable contribution to? Travelers' Assistance ,makes sense to me...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk, Jim.

Always refreshing when someone who registered about a week ago decides to lecture the American forum on which new members to gently guide and which ones to flame. That's certainly something that's never been posted before.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:01 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jkearns
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: value
The IB team is still trying to improve the new search. This is but one problem of many and I know it is frustrating. I've passed this info along to them - thanks!

/Moderator
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jkearns
Maybe giving the noobs some gentle steering rather than heaps of scorn would be nice
Offering up the search terms I used and posting a link to the previous thread is not gentle steering? I fail to see where the scorn is hiding in my post?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I value my AA miles at about $.03 to $.05 each. I generally use them for LGA-HNL or OGG, where 75k miles scores a ~$3,000 ticket in J. While I don't think I would ever pay $3,000 to fly up front on my own dime, I still consider it a good value for miles nonetheless.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
I wouldn't even use 25K miles for a $400 ticket.

Before spending the 50K for Economy, did you check for milesaver First at 45K, now 50K? I have seen 45K First Class seats available when the 25K Economy seats were gone.
Did you call AA to check for 25K seats? Not all award seats are online. I was curious about this, as I got a cheap ticket on a trip that involved SJC-SNA-STL-MCO. The SJC-SNA-STL is the same plane AND same flight number. At aa.com, there were not awards on this showing up, just 2 segment trips. The agent didn't have to contact anyone to free up seats, they were available. She didn't know why aa.com didn't show them.
AA is well known for being the easiest airline to book award tickets with. I had to clean out my mom's account which had 25k miles left in it and she doesn't fly with them much anymore so what I did was I held a reservation online, called in and the agent redeemed the miles for me, no questions asked. Another reason why I fly with AA on revenue tickets and not with United or Southwest. United's agents are all based in India, read off scripts, and are generally the most unhelpful of all. Southwest, I ain't gonna degrade myself by flying Southwest...j/k Southwest is great but their rewards program and their network doesn't meet my needs.

In general, I like to value miles at a minimum of 3 cents a piece. I recently booked an intl first ticket on United with miles from my dad's account (how can I say no to a free ticket, especially when it's in first class?). I spent 145K miles for a $25,000+ seat. I ended up with a mileage value of 17.7 cents per mile!!! Imagine if you're with Rewards network and earn 11 miles per dollar (10 miles on double reward days and extra mile from mileage credit card) then that is effectively a $1.95 reward for each $1 I spend, a 95% PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 14, 2009, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I value my AA miles at about $.03 to $.05 each. I generally use them for LGA-HNL or OGG, where 75k miles scores a ~$3,000 ticket in J. While I don't think I would ever pay $3,000 to fly up front on my own dime, I still consider it a good value for miles nonetheless.
that is essentially a long haul intl flight, well worth the miles. You'll be flying for about 13 hours combined plus a layover, plus having to go through customs at HNL since they are in a different customs zone. only thing you don't do is go through immigration...
Old May 14, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bniu
that is essentially a long haul intl flight, well worth the miles. You'll be flying for about 13 hours combined plus a layover, plus having to go through customs at HNL since they are in a different customs zone. only thing you don't do is go through immigration...
What are you talking about? LGA, HNL, and OGG are all in the same US Customs zone and no Customs inspection is required when traveling between them.
Old May 15, 2009, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
What are you talking about? LGA, HNL, and OGG are all in the same US Customs zone and no Customs inspection is required when traveling between them.
my bad, i was thinking guam, which is in a diff customs zone. no customs required but still, flight is still friggin' long...
Old May 15, 2009, 6:00 pm

Varies. I generally only used miles for domestic tickets and had a mental rule never to use 25k unless the ticket was going to cost over $500, but this summer, I used 70K on a SFO-PNP and SIN-SFO ticket even though cash it would have been $900. I value the added flexibility when using miles, so it is really circumstantial. If you are going to be switching dates, or there is a chance you may want to extend a trip, then think about using miles at a lower value per mile.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bniu
AA is well known for being the easiest airline to book award tickets with. I had to clean out my mom's account which had 25k miles left in it and she doesn't fly with them much anymore so what I did was I held a reservation online, called in and the agent redeemed the miles for me, no questions asked.
I am missing something. If you booked a reservation online, why did you call an agent to ticket? That would add a $20 phone fee. Generally people call for things they can't book online. Additionally, the last time I redeemed someone else's miles for a ticket, I had to use a credit card that was in their name, to pay the fees.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by onfo
If you are going to be switching dates, or there is a chance you may want to extend a trip, then think about using miles at a lower value per mile.
^ (Though I tend to use my miles for J/F international tix, not domestic tix - apparently AA wants me to actually FLY to keep my status )

This year, I've been seeing intl J/F intl prices drop significantly for the routes I fly most often. (East Coast-NRT/TPE used to price out at $12K-18K RT in F; now it can be had for about $5-8K RT.) But even with the price drop, I'm still going to burn miles for the exact reason you cited. If something comes up and the trip needs to be extended/shortened for some reason, I can usually find a nearby date with award availability. Plus, if the trip has to be cancelled unexpectedly, I can always "shift" the ticket out further until I have the new dates confirmed.

The flexibility of an AAward ticket also holds "peace of mind" value for me.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For some, an AA mile has less worth today than it had at the beginning of this month but that is because the elimination of stopovers at places besides a North American gateway on an international itinerary was one of the most valuable benefits of redeeming an AA award ticket.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:59 am

Cool Thoughts on value of AAdvantage Miles

New to Flyertalk, just read this thread, very impressed and humbled by the expertise and the ability of folks to max out on point values. On my own site I'm blogging more for the "average joe" flyer, so I took a stab at estimating what the value of AA miles would be worth to such a 'civilian'. Here's my approach for what its worth:

The missing piece at this point of course would be the average ticket prices to each location. So for the "within US" component, I priced out flights between some of the larger airports in the US, including LAX-LGA, IAH-LGA, ORD-LAX, and several others. Again, economy class, and I priced them out 3 weeks and 3 months. The average RT price was $269. Based on a 25,000 mile redemption (economy), that works out to about $0.011 per mile.

I then took a similar approach for RT flights to Europe. I used LHR and CDG as 2 travel points in Europe, though I realize there is much room for expansion. I used LAX, LGA, IAH, ORD, ATL, and DEN as starting points. Again, 3 weeks and 3 months out. Average ticket price came to $718. Based on a 40K off-peak economy redemption, that works out to $0.018 per mile. On-peak redemption is 60K miles, which works out to $0.012 per mile.

So, the ending formula for calculating the value of an American Airlines mile would be (1/3 * $0.011) + (1/3 * $0.018) + (1/3 * $0.012) = $0.0137 per mile.

This seems to be in line with at least a few of the posts out there, though admittedly it falls far short of some of the $0.05 to $0.10 estimates I read about. That said, I *suspect* that for the average Joe who is far less edcuated about the ins and outs of flight travel than the folks on this thread, that this estimate may be reasonable. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.