Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
If the agent is unfamiliar, kindly remind them pressing F3 gives you an option for Move Up "SDFC/SDS" and one has to pick either SDFC or SDS. You want the SDS if you want to avoid the fee

Well unless ur EP
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Keep in mind that former US agents at PHL had a recent policy change trust upon them less than a month ago. I would be shocked if this exact confusion didn't arise due to the similar (but VERY different) policies between old US and new AA.

Old US policy: MoveUp for confirmed seat free for all elites at the time of making the request for MoveUp.
New AA policy: Same Day Change is free for EXP, $75 for all others, when issuing a conformed seat at the time of making the request for SDC.

Old US policy: MoveUp for standby ONLY available when NO confirmed seats are available at the time of making the MoveUp request. Again, free for all elites. (And I think all pax too?)
New AA policy: Same Day Change for standby free for all elites and is available regardless of seat availability at the time of making the SDC request.

Just be clear to ask for placement on the STANDBY list. My script: "I would like to be placed on standby for this flight. Here is my boarding pass for my later flight."

Keep using the word STANDBY:
"You are asking me for $75 to go on STANDBY? STANDBY is free for all status flyers."
"No, I do not want a confirmed seat; I want to go on the STANDBY list."
"Can you get a manager or other agent that knows how to put me on the STANDBY list?"
(The last one would be the sign that I have lost my patience with the employee and should not be expected to result in anything but contempt from said employee, especially at PHL. Fair warning.)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Yeah. I dont disagree that there is confusion at PHL. I guess I'm more annoyed at myself for not knowing the exact policy.

I do now!! Haha
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:55 pm

pa3lsvt got it right. Also PHL just has a bad reputation when it comes to customer service.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:21 pm

standby non stop, on an award ticket?

Can I try standby on a non stop on the award iten. below. Does it help to call ahead or just ask @ check in?

If not any good lounges or other options to kill time @ IND

AMERICAN AIRLINES 460 Phoenix
(PHX)
10:10 AM Indianapolis
(IND)

03:39 PM First Z
Lunch

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY REPUBLIC AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE 4300 Indianapolis
(IND)

05:55 PM Miami
(MIA)

08:47 PM First Z
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Need more info, such as status with AA, as for lounges, a quick google search will show only a Delta Sky Club.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Changes to the number of segments are not allowed.

If Z inventory becomes available on the nonstop flight, however, you can confirm the change free of charge.

Also, if you don't want to connect through IND, you can same-day confirm standby through another city since you're on a First Class award.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Any luck getting this done in the AC instead of at the gate? or atleast having the AC call the GA to make sure they get it done correctly?

To me this has been the real value in having an AC membership, access to well trained agents!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
LAA AC agents will almost always put you on the standby list if you ask for it. Don't have any experience with LUS agents in the same situation.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Changes to the number of segments are not allowed.

If Z inventory becomes available on the nonstop flight, however, you can confirm the change free of charge.

Also, if you don't want to connect through IND, you can same-day confirm standby through another city since you're on a First Class award.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp

I'm Plat now but No Z inventory available on the nonstop flight yet and the flight is tomorrow

I'll still ask @ airport if I get lucky? I'm checking bags anyways...

Will try PHL instead, or any AA lounge city
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I would recommend Harry's and Izzy instead of Lounge. Very good prime rib sandwich. I always go over from B (where AA flies out) to A and visit them if it is around noon or later.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Good luck - flights appear full tomorrow. Don't forget to check connections through LAX/SFO
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Misc Questions

How does the agent waive the fee for same day confirmed for an EP? Is it automatic or do they have to do something like a manual override?

Also I saw it earlier in the thread, so you cannot change the number of segments when standing by? Or is that just in reference to award tickets?

I'm curious because I'm thinking of booking BOS/DCA and then trying to force a connection in LGA to get more segments. Can I do that via standby or same day change, that is, changing from 1 to 2 segments?

Also I've noticed sometimes when standing by my app & boarding pass updates and sometimes it doesn't, mostly on LUS flights. I'm also surprised the web site and olci often doesn't allow standby?

And one more lets say your booked for an early flight and you want to standby later. AA tells you to call to cancel the orig flight. Assuming its a oneway PNR, does it make any difference for the airport to put you on standby for the later flight whether or not you cancelled the itin with reservations or the system cancelled it as a no show especially for the same day? I ask because I don't think the AA app allows you to cancel a later flight, and sometimes hold times are long even as EP. So I'm just wondering if there is any process difference for the airport in adding you to stadnby in that circumstance. Its too bad you can't cancel in the app because often I'll get my boarding pass so I can clear TSA, but if I need to go later, I'd like to be able to cancel it to clear out the held seat/reservation but they don't make it easy without calling... I'm not sure if @AmericanAir on Twitter can help with that?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by lexicon77
Any luck getting this done in the AC instead of at the gate? or atleast having the AC call the GA to make sure they get it done correctly?

To me this has been the real value in having an AC membership, access to well trained agents!
Any airport agent should be able to do this, including at the gate, ticket counter, or club. I prefer the club for the obvious reasons when available.

Two weeks ago I did it at the ticket counter (got on same day standby) at CLE, because I assumed - correctly, I might add - that the gate agents were sure to be pmUS on the CLE-PHL flight.

I figured the chances of the ticket agent getting it correct painlessly were better. She pulled out her crib sheet and clicked away, just stopping to check that I wanted standby and not a confirmed seat at one point and sent me on my way with my new standby pass in no time at all.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
The kiosks which are now popping up in the gate area should allow you to standby for an earlier flight.
When I was in PHL last week, I was actually commenting to a coworker about all the new NCR kiosks popping up around the gate areas. (Noticed them in BOS as well.) Unfortunately all of them (7 or 8 that I saw) were out of order and provided a help desk number to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.