Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by guv1976
AA no longer has a 4-hour limit on domestic connections.
I know this was posted about, but can't find it. Can you help? I had two unhelpful agents insist there was no change. Even showing you can book a new ticket as such was not helpful. I pointed to fare rules, but they said no .
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know this was posted about, but can't find it. Can you help? I had two unhelpful agents insist there was no change. Even showing you can book a new ticket as such was not helpful. I pointed to fare rules, but they said no .
Just got off phone with AA. The 18 hour connection ended on July 6th, it's back to 4 hours. (I confirmed by looking at fare rules) However as this was a schedule change by AA , I was able to book the overnight since my flight to SBN was the first available flight the next day. What was especially aggravating was that the auto-rebooked flights had a connection over 6 hours. Yet the 1st agent insisted I couldn't rebook over 4 hours.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:58 am

Same Day Standby Question

I have a ticket Saturday to ORD, but would prefer to take an earlier flight. Of course, the prices have tripled since I bought my ticket (only yesterday). It seems AA is hiking all prices dramatically within 48 hours of flights now, at least on this route.

Anyway, my question is --- if there's still availability tomorrow a few hours before the earlier flight, and I go to the airport to request stand by, will AA switch me without a cost difference? My ticket is in F, so not sure how a paid F fare would play out with the upgrade list likely to be happening at the same time. I'll have only a carry-on and am a lowly Plat. 🙂

Thanks. It's been decades literally since I tried to go standby (on purpose) and not sure how this works now.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As a plat, there is no charge for standby for an earlier flight. If there is availability on said earlier flight, they'll put you on it. If F is not available they will offer you Y but there will be no fare adjustment.

I can't really comment about the upgrade procedure. I know that once I was on a flight LAX-LAS in paid F, a short route that would make all elites eligible for free upgrades. My inbound connection was early and I got to the gate for an earlier connection about 25 minutes before departure and there was an F seat available. But basically, you should be on the list ahead of upgrades, but if they have already upgraded someone else they won't throw them to the back of the bus for your paid F standby.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:33 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I have a ticket Saturday to ORD, but would prefer to take an earlier flight. Of course, the prices have tripled since I bought my ticket (only yesterday). It seems AA is hiking all prices dramatically within 48 hours of flights now, at least on this route.

Anyway, my question is --- if there's still availability tomorrow a few hours before the earlier flight, and I go to the airport to request stand by, will AA switch me without a cost difference? My ticket is in F, so not sure how a paid F fare would play out with the upgrade list likely to be happening at the same time. I'll have only a carry-on and am a lowly Plat. 🙂

Thanks. It's been decades literally since I tried to go standby (on purpose) and not sure how this works now.
Paid F can do SDFC for free if space is available – check the app or aa.com within 24 hours of your flight. It's not obvious what space is required for F seats when using SDFC.

I believe Standby will put you in Economy with no chance of an upgrade unless you get a very skilled gate agent.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:07 pm

Has anyone had recent experience with same-day standby LAX-Bay Area airports? I am flying XXX-LAX-SFO on 8/13 (no status, economy). The 4pm LAX-SFO, with a very long layover at LAX, is much cheaper than other options, so I would try to standby on an earlier LAX-SFO or LAX-SJC.

(Booking XXX-LAX-SJC now, with a much shorter layover, is not much more expensive than the cheap SFO option I'm looking at, but with all of AA's cancellations & changes so far this summer, I would prefer to have SFO, which is closer to my home, as my destination in case of schedule changes or weather/etc.)

Two questions: (1) Any recent experience with changing to a nearby airport? (2) All are operated by CR7s. Is the likelihood of standby clearing on a Friday morning close to nil?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by laxf; Jul 3, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Old Jul 3, 2021, 3:08 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by laxf
Has anyone had recent experience with same-day standby LAX-Bay Area airports? I am flying XXX-LAX-SFO on 8/13 (no status, economy). The 4pm LAX-SFO, with a very long layover at LAX, is much cheaper than other options, so I would try to standby on an earlier LAX-SFO or LAX-SJC.

(Booking XXX-LAX-SJC now, with a much shorter layover, is not much more expensive than the cheap SFO option I'm looking at, but with all of AA's cancellations & changes so far this summer, I would prefer to have SFO, which is closer to my home, as my destination in case of schedule changes or weather/etc.)

Two questions: (1) Any recent experience with changing to a nearby airport? (2) All are operated by CR7s. Is the likelihood of standby clearing on a Friday morning close to nil?

Thanks in advance.
You can't change to a nearby airport with SDS or SDFC.

You will be prioritized below everyone with status. Within your group of no-status people, I'm not sure if you will be prioritized by check-in time or by the time you requested standby, so check in / request early. You will also be prioritized below any revenue customer standing by due to weather / misconnects / etc. See the PALL list thread.

I've had pretty good luck with standby out of PHL, even on "full" flights when someone doesn't show up. It was before they made SDS free, but it seemed not many revenue customers make use of standby (e.g. 1 or 2 people on an A321) so I'd say your odds are pretty good.

In the case of a flight delay or cancellation, all of the SDS rules go out the window and "anything reasonable" on AA flights (and possibly AS or B6) applies, including changing to a nearby airport. This can happen for less than you think, e.g. a 15 min delay on your later flight would let you confirm a seat on the earlier flight, so be aware of it.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I haven't tried standby or SDFC on AA in several years, but I would like to try it on a domestic trip this Friday with a 3 hour connection in CLT. (RSW-CLT-RIC)

There is an earlier flight from CLT to my destination but it only leaves 25 minutes after the arrival of my first flight. I know that's not a "legal" connection but if the flight is early/on time and gates are close in CLT (as they should be this time - mainline to mainline) can an airport agent put me on the standby list? I am Gold if that matters.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:00 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I haven't tried standby or SDFC on AA in several years, but I would like to try it on a domestic trip this Friday with a 3 hour connection in CLT. (RSW-CLT-RIC)

There is an earlier flight from CLT to my destination but it only leaves 25 minutes after the arrival of my first flight. I know that's not a "legal" connection but if the flight is early/on time and gates are close in CLT (as they should be this time - mainline to mainline) can an airport agent put me on the standby list? I am Gold if that matters.
There tends to be some schedule padding, so you might have more time than you expect.

I'd just go to the gate and ask. I had luck doing that in BOS -- I got through security at T-15 for the earlier flight and everyone else was already on the plane! (this was when they still closed the door at T-10).
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
deleted

Last edited by HoKo; Dec 15, 2021 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Being offered standby for a later flight tomorrow. If I click it, what happens to my seats on the current, earlier flight? Still Exec Plat for what it's worth...
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Being offered standby for a later flight tomorrow. If I click it, what happens to my seats on the current, earlier flight? Still Exec Plat for what it's worth...
I was wondering this, and in general what happens if you standby for a later flight end up not making it.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
I was wondering this, and in general what happens if you standby for a later flight end up not making it.
I ended up calling into the Executive Platinum line to ask them about this. I cannot swear that their response was authoritative, but it was enough to chill my enthusiasm for the prospect. In particular, it would seem that if you want to standby for a later flight, you have to give up your seat on the earlier flight (which does make sense on the space-time continuum), and if you don't clear, then at best you roll forward into a potentially never-ending standby future.

Can this be true? Like I say, it's hard to imagine that you could hold a seat on a flight that may be taking off before you know whether you clear for standby on a later flight. It's also hard to imagine when this "option" would be of value. I guess if you knew that the subsequent flight were empty....
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Can this be true? Like I say, it's hard to imagine that you could hold a seat on a flight that may be taking off before you know whether you clear for standby on a later flight. It's also hard to imagine when this "option" would be of value. I guess if you knew that the subsequent flight were empty....
How else would it work? In general standbys aren't cleared until close in to flight time, by which time presumably the earlier flight has departed so there's no way to take advantage of the option without also taking on this risk.

I think this would be most useful if there were some reason you were fairly certain you weren't going to make the earlier flight and wanted to avoid having your ticket cancelled for no-showing, but for some reason couldn't confirm onto a later flight that same day (e.g., it would result in a significant fare difference). Might be better to take the chance than have to pay to confirm something else.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Standby request no longer wanted.

With AA (supposedly) clearing waitlists ahead of boarding, is there a risk to not showing up at the gate for the earlier flight if one just wants to keep their later confirmed seat?

Chat team couldn't help and I'm in a 4 hour queue for a callback to cancel the standby request. Might be enjoying a steak dinner and miss the callback.

With Sabre now decoupled from AA PNRs the standby request is not even reflected in the GDS (so can't cancel myself).

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 18, 2022 at 7:09 pm Reason: grammar; amplification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.