Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If you have an overnight connection, it's not possible to stand by for a connection the previous day, correct?

e.g. Current flight as ticketed:

Day 1: MIA -> DFW, arriving at 5PM
Day 2: DFW -> ORD, departing at 8:00AM
Could I stand by for any DFW -> ORD flights that are on Day 1 and skip having to get a hotel for the night?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Martellus
If you have an overnight connection, it's not possible to stand by for a connection the previous day, correct?

e.g. Current flight as ticketed:

Day 1: MIA -> DFW, arriving at 5PM
Day 2: DFW -> ORD, departing at 8:00AM
Could I stand by for any DFW -> ORD flights that are on Day 1 and skip having to get a hotel for the night?
Curious how this was ticketed as a connection vs a stopover (i.e., each leg separately fared)--is this an award ticket? If your fare is priced MIA-ORD, you should be fine. If it's a MIA-DFW fare and a DFW-ORD priced separately (even on the same ticket), it could be interpreted that the overnight was booked intentionally and is actually a stopover on a multi-leg itinerary. In this case, you may have luck at the airport, but technically, you'd be attempting to change the date of the DFW-ORD segment.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Curious how this was ticketed as a connection vs a stopover (i.e., each leg separately fared)--is this an award ticket? If your fare is priced MIA-ORD, you should be fine. If it's a MIA-DFW fare and a DFW-ORD priced separately (even on the same ticket), it could be interpreted that the overnight was booked intentionally and is actually a stopover on a multi-leg itinerary. In this case, you may have luck at the airport, but technically, you'd be attempting to change the date of the DFW-ORD segment.
This would be a single ticket. As an example, looking at https://www.google.com/flights#flt=G...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o - the connections with forced overnights are all cheaper than the flights that get in on the same day.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Martellus
This would be a single ticket. As an example, looking at https://www.google.com/flights#flt=G...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o - the connections with forced overnights are all cheaper than the flights that get in on the same day.
International tickets usually allow longer connections, and in the linked itinerary, would likely qualify for a SDC from CLT-LGA on the same date as GCM-CLT.

​​​​​​A multi-leg journey with fare breaks can be a issued as single ticket. The critical point is whether the passenger paid for transportation from MIA to ORD, or MIA to DFW to ORD. If the latter, AA can require the DFW-ORD to be flown on the date it was ticketed for.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
The AA app most of time lets me change the date of a connecting flight as long but the connecting flights must be the same day as the first flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:25 pm

I am booked on a MileSAAver J award PHL-ORD this weekend on AA metal (connecting to QR J to ORD-DOH-COK). I want to standby on an earlier PHL-ORD flight on the same day, as there is a storm forecasted for the afternoon and I am afraid that I will miss the connection in ORD. The new flight is way earlier in the day (5AM, painful I know) and looks wide open. Will I be able to do this (and will I be charged a fee)? I had read in another FT thread that domestic standby on international itineraries is not allowed by AA. Is this still true?

I have read some conflicting information online stating that there needs to be Saver award space in order to standby (there is currently not), but my understanding is that this applies to Same Day Confirmed Flight Change, and not Same Day Standby -- is this correct?

Last edited by ezhang; Feb 25, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

Has anybody ever had luck getting a free standby on a Economy MileSAAver award ticket? I don't see it on the list of tickets eligible for free standby, but wondering if it would work if I'm in person at the gate. I don't have any status - thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by TNTravelGuy
Has anybody ever had luck getting a free standby on a Economy MileSAAver award ticket? I don't see it on the list of tickets eligible for free standby, but wondering if it would work if I'm in person at the gate. I don't have any status - thanks!
Scroll down to award tickets section: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/aa-same-day-flight-change-how-to/amp/

All AAdvantage award tickets are eligible for free confirmed same day confirmed flight change. That said, unlike on paid tickets, you aren’t looking for “E” fare availability. Instead, there has to be award availability on the new flight for you to get a confirmed flight change.

While the SDFC option will show up online and in the app, unfortunately this isn’t a process that can be done online. You’re going to have to call AA to change your flight.

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by gateH15

Scroll down to award tickets section: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/aa-sa...ge-how-to/amp/

All AAdvantage award tickets are eligible for free confirmed same day confirmed flight change. That said, unlike on paid tickets, you aren’t looking for “E” fare availability. Instead, there has to be award availability on the new flight for you to get a confirmed flight change.

While the SDFC option will show up online and in the app, unfortunately this isn’t a process that can be done online. You’re going to have to call AA to change your flight.

SDFC is often not useful with MilesAAver tickets because you need to have sAAver inventory on the flight you want to switch to, not E inventory. Standby isn't limited by these availability rules.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Yes I have done standby travel on a saaver award ticket, as there were no more saaver awards to do a SDFC. Just show up early to the airport and ask to be placed standby on the earlier fight.

See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Hi all, can i standby for a direct flight to my final destination if my saaver ticket was booked with a stop? thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mew24680
Hi all, can i standby for a direct flight to my final destination if my saaver ticket was booked with a stop? thanks!
No
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:05 am

1 on the standby list today (on 2 flights) skipped TWICE because they let AA employees ahead of me Why aren't AA employees put at the top of the list automatically if this is their policy?

Last edited by Raymond Lattanzio; Apr 13, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold
AA employees can ride in the jump seat.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:48 am

If there are multiple passengers on a PNR, can some clear standby or will they be kept on the same flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.