Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Anyone have any recent experience with standing by for a flight the day before scheduled departure, as long as it's within the 24-hour window? Have an upcoming midday flight, and it would be great to get out the night before.
This isn't formally allowed, the rule is "same calendar day". Back in January I flew CUN-CLT-CHS, and had an overnight layover in CLT. I arrived to CLT in the morning and asked if I could get on one of the several flights to CHS and they were really strict and said there was absolutely no way. I expected them to say that, but had to get a hotel in CLT.

The "24 hours" you might be thinking of is when you can make the initial request to standby, just like you can check-in 24 hours before the flight.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by samm
This isn't formally allowed, the rule is "same calendar day". Back in January I flew CUN-CLT-CHS, and had an overnight layover in CLT. I arrived to CLT in the morning and asked if I could get on one of the several flights to CHS and they were really strict and said there was absolutely no way. I expected them to say that, but had to get a hotel in CLT.

The "24 hours" you might be thinking of is when you can make the initial request to standby, just like you can check-in 24 hours before the flight.
Ah, this is what I thought/feared. Thank you for the info.

Looks like they're gonna get me for the change fee on this one.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
What is the priority for FC on a paid FC ticket doing a SDSB?

Today- Paid FC ticket, decided I wanted to leave later in the day. Online only showing SDSB (wonder how accurate this is, Delta, where I have the most experience doing this, usually incorrect).

Only the 3rd time I have done this. First 2 times there appeared to be no seats in FC and I flew coach. Interesting that I received a refund both times for the fare difference,( but still got double EQMs).

Today, I notice there are FC seats available, but they clear the upgrades first , then the standbys, so I clear into coach.

I asked the gate agent why they would upgrade someone over paid first (and then refund them the $s) , and he said that is how it is done.

If correct, seems like an odd business practice.

Last edited by I 40; Nov 19, 2017 at 1:59 pm Reason: double entry
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by I 40

Today- Paid FC ticket, decided I wanted to leave later in the day. Online only showing SDSB (wonder how accurate this is, Delta, where I have the most experience doing this, usually incorrect).

Only the 3rd time I have done this. First 2 times there appeared to be no seats in FC and I flew coach. Interesting that I received a refund both times for the fare difference,( but still got double EQMs).

Today, I notice there are FC seats available, but they clear the upgrades first , then the standbys, so I clear into coach.

I asked the gate agent why they would upgrade someone over paid first (and then refund them the $s) , and he said that is how it is done.

Why would they upgrade someone else over a paid FC ticket, then refund them the fare difference?
It should work the way you expected, but it appears the agent did not work the lists correctly. I had a coach ticket out of AUS and was at the top of the upgrade list for two open seats. Should have been a slam dunk. However, there were two people with F tickets for a later flight standing by for my flight. The two F standbys got the seats. From the conversations with agents, it seemed easy to get this messed up. On the upgrade list I was indeed number one, but the agent had to consult a separate standby list to see if there were F pax standing by. In your case the GA should have handled you first, then cleared upgrades, then the rest of the standbys.

Sloppy systems that allow an agent to handle things according to their discretion, combined with poor training, leads to inconsistent and incorrect service.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:30 pm

Looks like the agent used the wrong pall code or the gate agent didnt honor/notice/use/clear per the code.

Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:27 pm

This is my experience of SDS as an EXP. Last Thursday, I had an itinerary ORD->PHL->LGA that left 5am @ ORD. The connection @ PHL left me with about 40 minutes to connect from A to F in PHL (the intinerary stated that I would have an hour). Realizing that this is cutting close, I decided to wait for the next direct flight as I had some time to kill.

So, I took this as an opportunity to stop by and visit some colleagues in town. Realizing that there are two other direct flight @ 3:50 & 6:30, I checked for availability and there wasn't enough availability for SDFC so I asked one of the angel @ Admiral Club to just put me on 3:50pm standby (there were 3 available seats with me as #1 on the standby list). She printed the standby voucher and I stopped by the new Centurion Lounge before I left the airport. Came back around 2:50pm and found out that terminal F does not have TSA Pre and waited almost 25 minutes before clearing the TSA. Ran to the gate and waited until everyone boarded and got a seat.

Couple of observation points:
in my AA Apps, I noticed that when I did not get on 8:50am flight to LGA, that segment disappeared from my itinerary. My guess is that when I did a no-show @ 8:50am, they took me off the flight. After I got home, I noticed that appropriate mileage were credit to my account for PHL->LGA segment.
This was a gamble since I potentially could not have a seat if there were circumstances that open seats were taken during the day. Ideally, if I can SDFC, I would feel a bit comfortable, but due to # of seat availability, it was not an option.
Don't go through terminal F @ PHL, but instead through C as there is a TSA-Pre and then take the shuttle to F (probably faster).
In retrospect, I should have take my time and show up @ my gate for 850am flight late and tell them that I missed my connection flight. I think under that circumstance, they would have confirmed my 3:50pm flight.

l8r

-doc
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Were you already confirmed in economy prior to upgrade list being processed?

Last year I was booked into economy on an I fare JFK-SFO. Online check-in added me to upgrade list and I was around 8 on the list when I got to airport. I spoke with airport agent and explained I'm on a business fare. She removed me from upgrade list and put me on standby for J instead. Was given J seat at gate and upgrade list only show 4 passengers being cleared. Had the airport agent not put me on the correct list, I would have been in economy.

If your F ticket allows for no change fee, I would get rebook into Y on desired flight on the F ticket and then standby for F to get priority over upgraders.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I have a flight to LV tonight at 6:25pm. My mom is meeting me at the train station a lot earlier than anticipated so we may be able to get to the airport at 3pm for the 4pm flight if everything is on time.
I am Plat. Pro.

Here are my questions:
Is it my best bet to wait to SDC for when I get to the airport?
She wants to check a bag, how does that work with stand-by?
I have not checked in for our original flight yet. Does it matter if I do?
There are currently plenty of 1st class seats available on the 4pm. Can I be put on the upgrade list and the standby list?
What happens if I put our names on standby now, but my Mom's train is late and we can't make the 4pm flight?

Thanks for the last minute help.

Rich

UPDATE: Train was on time and we made it to airport an decided to go directly to the gate. I checked in online at 130 and put us on the stand by list.

Got to the gate at 310 asked about being put on the upgrade list. There were 5 open seats and no one else on the upgrade list. Was told it couldn’t be done. You can only be on one list. Even after I was given our coach seats, she could not put me on the upgrade list. Fantastic. I love AA.

Last edited by puchalskir; Nov 21, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
Were you already confirmed in economy prior to upgrade list being processed?

xxx

If your F ticket allows for no change fee, I would get rebook into Y on desired flight on the F ticket and then standby for F to get priority over upgraders.
I was not confirmed in Econ prior to upgrade list being processed.

Rebooking into Y is interesting, something to consider, but my original thought was, you shouldn't have to do that. What is the AA policy?

Side note, I got my fare difference refund today (automatically) and as in the past, received the double EQMs.

Last edited by I 40; Nov 21, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I just had the same thing happen to me!

Paid FC ticket in I inventory (not an upgraded coach ticket), tried to go standby on an earlier flight.

I got got to the gate for the earlier flight and was #1 on the standby list.

The gate agent processed one upgrade and then started processing standbys. I was cleared but was given seat a middle sea in coach. No thanks.

What compensation should I get from this? 5,000 miles maybe?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Unfortunately AA agents seem to do not have set policies they follow with standby customers. With standby, I try to manage the process at every step. AA has a pretty generous standby policy in that you can standby for any flight you want with the same routing, but agents often dont know how to manage that properly
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I just had the same thing happen to me!

Paid FC ticket in I inventory (not an upgraded coach ticket), tried to go standby on an earlier flight.

I got got to the gate for the earlier flight and was #1 on the standby list.

The gate agent processed one upgrade and then started processing standbys. I was cleared but was given seat a middle sea in coach. No thanks.

What compensation should I get from this? 5,000 miles maybe?
I think all you would get is the fare difference - not sure why you would get any other compensation as you were the one who went standby.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by puchalskir
Got to the gate at 310 asked about being put on the upgrade list. There were 5 open seats and no one else on the upgrade list. Was told it couldnt be done. You can only be on one list. Even after I was given our coach seats, she could not put me on the upgrade list. Fantastic. I love AA.
This has been my experience as well. I don't agree with the policy but at least they're being consistent? In your case did this flight go out with empty seats in FC? I don't understand why you didn't push for an upgrade after your BP was printed. Every time I've cleared standby and want to try for an upgrade, the upgrade list is 20 people deep and they already started processing those before I even got a confirmed economy seat.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I think all you would get is the fare difference - not sure why you would get any other compensation as you were the one who went standby.
I didn't end up going standby. My original flight, which I took, was late (after I boarded), and I got home around midnight.

If the AA gate agent had done his job correctly, following AA policy, then I would have been given a first class seat on the earlier flight, and all would have been good.

I'd think that AA would want to be sure to train gate agents to clear people with paid FC tickets into FC first before processing upgrades, to avoid having to refund fare differences to people. Think of how much revenue AA is refunding to people when if policy were followed, no refunds would be given. Or AA should want to just tweak its software so that a legend would appear next to the name of anyone with a paid FC ticket, such as "PAID FC PAX: CLEAR DIRECTLY INTO FC BEFORE PROCESSING UPGRADES".

I would assume that AA would refund the FC ticket price paid minus the coach fare at the time of going standby. In my case, that would have been zero.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Nov 26, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:18 pm

Well, if you didnt ask the agent at check in may I ask what PALL code you are using? Then how do u know they processed it incorrectly???

anytime u are are the PALL and it is not automatic ask what code is being used. And especially on standby F where there are a few options.

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I didn't end up going standby. My original flight, which I took, was late (after I boarded), and I got home around midnight.

If the AA gate agent had done his job correctly, following AA policy, then I would have been given a first class seat on the earlier flight, and all would have been good.

I'd think that AA would want to be sure to train gate agents to clear people with paid FC tickets into FC first before processing upgrades, to avoid having to refund fare differences to people. Think of how much revenue AA is refunding to people when if policy were followed, no refunds would be given. Or AA should want to just tweak its software so that a legend would appear next to the name of anyone with a paid FC ticket, such as "PAID FC PAX: CLEAR DIRECTLY INTO FC BEFORE PROCESSING UPGRADES".

I would assume that AA would refund the FC ticket price paid minus the coach fare at the time of going standby. In my case, that would have been zero.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.