Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by swag
Yes, assuming a domestic flight, you can use either one to change to the nonstop, assuming availability. Standby would be free, confirmed same day change is $75.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
New rules -- shown in the terms and conditions to that link -- say...

Changes to the number of segments are not allowed.

Of course, it is always a YMMV
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Yes, I think you could only standby now.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:55 pm

standby question... [to merge]

Question for you experts....

If I have a direct flight from DFW to CMI on Sunday night, would I be able to try to fly standby Sunday morning if the flight would have to be DFW to ORD to CMI?

I am curious if I would be able to do that since it would be the exact same flight. The origination city (DFW) and the destination city (CMI) are the same, however I have to make a layover in ORD to make it happen.

I am Platinum, if that helps.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Per AA Website, "Changes to the number of segments are not allowed" under Same Day Standby Terms and Conditions.

However there have been reports about AAgents being able to bend this rule per this thread.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a data point?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Even if you have a connection through one airport and the flight you want transits through another you cannot make the change without a fee. Your best bet is to go to the airport and ask the AA Angels nicely. My experience is that they always do their best to accommodate.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Standby 48 hours early?

EXP traveling JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK in F (P fare basis). Change of plans, now need to go from LAS back to JFK without the original two night stay in LAX on the return leg. Got a really low fare for the original itinerary ($1.4k) so if repricing the upcharge is $3k+.

Last week was able to get accommodated on LAX-JFK red eye departing 11:30 p.m. the day before originally booked flight @ 6 a.m. by very nice lounge agent (I fare basis that time) which I understand is an exception to calendar day standby rules. I think 48 hours is probably pushing my luck...

Any advice? TIA!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lt1GM
EXP traveling JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK in F (P fare basis). Change of plans, now need to go from LAS back to JFK without the original two night stay in LAX on the return leg. Got a really low fare for the original itinerary ($1.4k) so if repricing the upcharge is $3k+.

Last week was able to get accommodated on LAX-JFK red eye departing 11:30 p.m. the day before originally booked flight @ 6 a.m. by very nice lounge agent (I fare basis that time) which I understand is an exception to calendar day standby rules. I think 48 hours is probably pushing my luck...

Any advice? TIA!
What advise you want? other than if you want to leave early, go to the airport, come up with a story and see if it works. Rules say no, but an agent might take pity and bend the rules in your favor, if not, pay the fee, try the following day or keep the original itinerary.

If it works, make sure to send a note to AA to compliment that agent that help you. I presume you did not do this for your red-eye.

Last edited by arollins; Oct 30, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arollins
What advise you want? other than if you want to leave early, go to the airport, come up with a story and see if it works. Rules say no, but an agent might take pity and bend the rules in your favor, if not, pay the fee, try the following day or keep the original itinerary.
Thanks for your input. That's what I was thinking my options are at this point, just looking for data points, opinions, shared experiences in similar situations etc.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may get 1,000 people telling you that AA did it for them. But, since it's outside the fare rules, you may hit the agent who won't do it.

I would not come close to expecting it 48 hours out and you also need a plan B as the add/collect may be a lot more than the $3K it is now, by the time this doesn't come about.

Have you looked at what abandoning the last segment and just purchasing the cheapest OW you can find back to NYC on any carrier, including AA?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:44 am

EXP Stand-by for F

If an EXP with a confirmed Y seat, stands-by for another flight, are they put on the UG list?

Seems like, no.

So, the only way an EXP, standing-by, would get an UG into F, would be if all the people on the UG list, including all status, were UG to F, and there were seats available?

That would be impossible?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
You are right - when flying standby, technically you don't have a confirmed seat yet, and agents will proceed with upgrade first then clear standby.

I've only experienced standby for F once back in 2013, but the flight were basically empty so agent could clear me in advance.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by keepssmile
You are right - when flying standby, technically you don't have a confirmed seat yet, and agents will proceed with upgrade first then clear standby.

I've only experienced standby for F once back in 2013, but the flight were basically empty so agent could clear me in advance.
Thanks.

The flight is full, so I was thinking of standing-by for an earlier flight at F5. But, it would be unusual to have an UG list that is shorter than 5 people, especially with the flight at Y4.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if there's an ironclad rule that requires it, but generally, agents will process the upgrade list, which frees up some economy seats, and then they process the standby list. Theoretically, having cleared to an economy seat on the new flight, you could then ask to be added to the upgrade list but at that time, it's probably pointless, as the F seats are now taken.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think that this only works when F>(# on UG list). OP would then have his SB confirmed into Y and, presuming that he is now at the top of the UG list, be UG.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:21 am

Right. So with the flight at Y4, it wouldn't be worth getting up super early to try this project.

AA's $82. ORD-SFO fares filled up the plane. Are all these people on a type of MR?

I mean, if they all had to fly on November 11th, why didn't they buy the tickets far enough in advance, increasing the LF, and negating the need for the $82. fare in the first place?

Guess, people just saw the fare and went for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.